DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What tablet or phone do you use for your Mavic Pro

Hey all,

I was just wondering what everyone was using for their Mavic Pro when flying. What kind of phone or tablet do you use?

I have tried two android devices (Pixel XL and S7 Plus), however, I would occasionally lose signal to the app mid flight. This is quite scary as I have no idea what the drone is doing and am forced to restart the DJI app. I switched over to a dedicated iPhone 6 and since then I have never had any problems, but I am missing the bigger screens of the other 2.
I use a $80 Samsung j3 emerge smartphone that has never crashed a single time and I also will use my Samsung galaxy tab s3. Both work extremely well. Highly recommend both.

I want to find a android tablet that not $$$$ but has a hdmi output so if anyone is using one let me know :)

I have look up posts on ones that have that BUT problem is the posts are old and since then there has been GO app 4 updates so I don't know if those ones are still working good

Crystalsky Ultra!

It was difficult to shell out 849 as I only paid 700 for the MP. However, the monitor is a major component of the kit. I rely heavily on the monitor. I struggled with Android (high Nit), and ios (much lower nit). I have used sun shades, stood in the shade, hoodmans, hoodmans in the shade, and I draped black cloth over my head and the monitor like the old time photographers used to do. All of these variations worked, but not particularly well. and everything had it's drawbacks. The phones and tablets were OK at best. The hoodman and black cloth improved the visual greatly, but were a PITA.

In the end, I realized how important the monitor is to the overall experience and dove in to buy the Crystalsky. IMHO, the monitor is as important as the drone.

Others have said it, and I can confirm. The Crystalsky Ultra is worth every penny. I would certainly recommend buying the Crystalsky over buying yet another drone.

While using the Crystalsky, the app can crash. It's no big deal, When it happens, hover and reboot. Takes about a minute, and on with the show. Regardless of device, the first time the app crashes, it's nerve racking, but you get used to it, and reboot. The app crashing has no effect on the connection between the drone and the controller. So, when the app is rebooted you pick up where you left off, and fly out of the hover.

I bought the Ultra because it's double the nit for less than double the price, and I didn't want to risk shelling out 600-700 for less than the best, then feel like I had to turn around and upgrade, again. My wife is always right. I know that, now.

I've even used the Crystalsky Ultra with the Spark. Felt ridiculous, but worked very well. BTW...anyone interested in a Spark FMC?

Ordinarily, I can suffer from buyer' remorse. Several months down the road, and I have no regrets. If I lost use of the Ultra, I would likely give up flying.

I use the mavmount, and will sometimes set it up on a tripod. Using a tripod whether it's Crystalsky, or other monitor is worth the extra two minutes of set up time. The eye level vertical orientation of the monitor on a tripod is a neck saver, and might even improve the performance of sunshades, which I have found to be borderline useless.

Flying drones is an expensive hobby. If I were to start over again, I would get one good drone (MP of course...don't need a one inch sensor as there is plenty of light in the sky), one good monitor, and a tripod.

I film in 1080p at 60FPS, so at least I don't have to buy a water cooled CPU computer, and 4K monitor....do I?

Reactions: Aerial West
iPad Air 2. Why is HDMI output important? After flight I download from card to computer and play or edit the 4K video.

Note 8... No issues yet. Was using my old Note 4. May get a big SD card and use it again. I don't like putting my phone in airplane mode to avoid interruption...

Hey all,

I was just wondering what everyone was using for their Mavic Pro when flying. What kind of phone or tablet do you use?

I have tried two android devices (Pixel XL and S7 Plus), however, I would occasionally lose signal to the app mid flight. This is quite scary as I have no idea what the drone is doing and am forced to restart the DJI app. I switched over to a dedicated iPhone 6 and since then I have never had any problems, but I am missing the bigger screens of the other 2.

I always use my iPad Pro 9.7 Wifi. I might change it to the 10.5 with cellular. Bigger screens are really better.

I always use my iPad Pro 9.7 Wifi. I might change it to the 10.5 with cellular. Bigger screens are really better.
if it means anything, i don't notice a big difference between my 9.7 and 10.5... they are very similar in size for practicalities sake.

I use a Nvidia K1 for my pro, only because I got Litchi for waypoints on it. Like any tablet/phone sun glare is a problem I suppose. Can't be of much more help.

Hey all,

I use the iPad mini 4, because I like the larger screen, and it fits nicely into the controller holders.
And, on the box when you received your Bird, it says best to use apple products. Because optimized
to work better with DJI.

I purchased an iPad mini 4 128g (wifi only) to use as a dedicated device. I put it in airplane mode andhaven't ever had a lick of an issue.
And, I have the dji goggles I purchased online best buy showing up tomorrow .. Is that a display? Hee... I KNOW it's not but.. You know...

I use a holder for my mini4 because when I put it into the grips it makes using the sport switch hard to use . I can then use a sun hood for the mini when using holder

Hey all,

I use the iPad mini 4, no problems.

I've tried iPad mini 2,Samsung galaxy tab and Samsung galaxy 8+.
The SG 8+ work's fine but since I got my Nivida Shield K1 that's the one .... no problems at all

I’ve tried the iPad Pro 9.7 and the iPad air 2.
I couldn’t tell any difference until I tried
The screen recorder and the iPad air2
Struggled to keep up.
I never use screen record anyway but wanted to know if the iPad air2 processor could handle the loads of
Data being hurled at it while shooting perfect videos.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661