DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to do with video? Transfer, storage, ect.

Trick

Reactions
New to drones here and don't know what to do with the videos.

I have a laptop but its only like 256gb and currently only 40gb available. Most my stuff I just save to OneDrive.

I pulled the SD card from the Mavic, used the larger SD thingie and plugged that card into my laptop. I tried saving it to OneDrive but OneDrive is only 16GB I guess.

My other solution is just upload videos to Youtube right away but that doesn't sound like a good solution. How should I do this. I would like to do it primarily from my laptop because when I'm on vacation I won't have much more than my laptop and the Mavic. (or my phone Samsung S7 phone).

Tips and tricks?

Last edited:

I have a laptop but its only like 256gb and currently only 40gb available. Most my stuff I just save to OneDrive.

I pulled the SD card from the Mavic, used the larger SD thingie and plugged that card into my laptop. I tried saving it to OneDrive but OneDrive is only 16GB I guess.

My other solution is just upload videos to Youtube right away but that doesn't sound like a good solution. How should I do this. I would like to do it primarily from my laptop because when I'm on vacation I won't have much more than my laptop and the Mavic. (or my phone Samsung S7 phone).

Tips and tricks?
I have a dedicated 3TB Hard Disc Drive. Stores quite a bit of video!

Reactions: halley
I feel like this is going to be the most underestimated problem for novice flyers/videographers.

Large 4K files are tough for an average computer.
I have to seriously consider dropping $1500-2000 on a new computer instead of $750-1000, should I even bother with laptop?

Last edited:
I guess it is just the same old question of how much and how fast do you want to edit.
I feel like there is going to be a lot of extra work for freelance editors soon.

Ok I hear you guys, ... I need to get a external hard drive, 1TB is $60 or a 2TB for $80.

And a good computer for video editing.

I'd seriously consider getting something like a 13" MBP with Final Cut.

Be very aware storage is just the first problem. Make sure you can play 4K video on your laptop (and I'm not even talking about editing anything yet). 4K brings my Mac Air to its knees.

It doesn't make sense to invest in external storage if your laptop isn't up to the processing power requirements.

Took some 4K video with my mavic today, 900mb and less than 2min, So you can imagine storage you're going to need for any length of final film. I've a Nas drive set up for raw footage, but I'd say you best bet would 3TB external drive (usb3 ideally) or maybe just shoot at 1080p if your not using it commercial?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If you're recording in 4K, you're going to need some serious hardware to edit, as well as some serious storage if you want archive all your original footage even after editing. Otherwise, you'll have to edit quickly and discard the unwanted footage for the sake of keeping storage needs in check. 4K footage will take up a TON of hard drive space. Editing video will require a TON of processing power and RAM (16gb at the bare minimum) otherwise it will become an exercise in futility.

I use FCPX on a '16 MacBook Pro with 2TB onboard SSD + Core i7 2.9 Ghz quad core + 16gb RAM, external Lacie 2TB Bolt 3 (scratch drive for video editing), and a 30TB 5-bay Synology NAS to archive my video.... and even with the Mavic's modest 60MBps bitrate 4K footage, I find my setup is just adequate. My previous '12 MacBook Pro was just not cutting it for editing due to the slower USB 3.0 external scratch drive. Thunderbolt 3 external drive was key for me, but YMMV.

I've unlimited storage on Google Drive through work, wonder how they'd feel with a few petabytes of my drone footage up there. lol

Be very aware storage is just the first problem. Make sure you can play 4K video on your laptop (and I'm not even talking about editing anything yet). 4K brings my Mac Air to its knees.

It doesn't make sense to invest in external storage if your laptop isn't up to the processing power requirements.

Hi, I'm planning to bring my Mac Air with me for my trip so I can transfer the files to an external hard drive. Are you saying this will not work due to the processor? What do you suggest? I do have a Mac Pro but of course it's heavier to bring than the Air.

Tips and tricks?

You should check out our new app that just launched called Dragonfly. Made to solve exactly this problem. You can transfer videos immediately after your flight without removing the SD card or upload in batch from a browser. All videos are backed up in the cloud and always retrievable. Plus easy enjoyment with auto mix creation, browsing your videos on the map, and galleries of your videos, friends, and the community.

Reactions: GotIt!?FPV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard