DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to use for sound recording?

FuzzyBob

Reactions
It occurred to me that I don't know what to use for recording sound for things I'm shooting footage of with my drone. This spring I want to get some cinematic style footage of my car and do a little video with friends. Having some audio of various nature sounds to go along with the footage of waterfalls or shoreline would be a nice plus too.

Strapping a small digital audio recorder to my Mavic 2 crossed my mind but only briefly*. Considering a GoPro or similar as it would allow for another camera though. Suggestions welcomed.

*Edit: by only briefly I mean I realized prop noise/general wind would dominate the audio. Will not be doing this.

Last edited:
It occurred to me that I don't know what to use for recording sound for things I'm shooting footage of with my drone. This spring I want to get some cinematic style footage of my car and do a little video with friends. Having some audio of various nature sounds to go along with the footage of waterfalls or shoreline would be a nice plus too.

Strapping a small digital audio recorder to my Mavic 2 crossed my mind but only briefly. Considering a GoPro or similar as it would allow for another camera though. Suggestions welcomed.
You mean recording audio from such a height? Is that even possible? I mean can we hear waves from high altitude or it'll just be dominated by the sound of wind (like wooshhh brrrrrr)?
If I were you I'd record the audio separately. I bring the mic with me on the ground and walk to a Waterfall and record. Walk along the shore and record.

Reactions: charliej and Gindra
You mean recording audio from such a height? Is that even possible? I mean can we hear waves from high altitude or it'll just be dominated by the sound of wind (like wooshhh brrrrrr)?
If I were you I'd record the audio separately. I bring the mic with me on the ground and walk to a Waterfall and record. Walk along the shore and record.

Sorry, I should've been more clear when I said 'only briefly'. No plans to put a payload on the drone because of the prop noise as you noted. I'd use my phone for audio but it's already being used for the drone. That leaves audio from a GoPro style action camera or a dedicated audio recorder of some sort.

Strapping a small digital audio recorder to my Mavic 2 crossed my mind but only briefly. Considering a GoPro or similar as it would allow for another camera though. Suggestions welcomed.
I’ve wondered about this too. But it seems that any recording device located on the quad would be dominated be the motor/prop noise, and drown out any other desirable environmental sound. It might be necessary to acquire a separate sound track and add it during post. For example, if you take a flight video clip of a waterfall, you could then separately record a movie on your phone positioned close to the waterfall (doesn’t matter what’s in the frame), separate it’s sound track, and add it to your video clip. I suppose you could turn on the recording option in GO 4, then use that recording, but it might pick up other sounds like your breathing, someone talking, or the drone itself. You would have to be close to the source you want to record and keep your mouth shut!
I think this whole subject is worth pursuing.

I’ve wondered about this too. But it seems that any recording device located on the quad would be dominated be the motor/prop noise, and drown out any other desirable environmental sound. It might be necessary to acquire a separate sound track and add it during post. For example, if you take a flight video clip of a waterfall, you could then separately record a movie on your phone positioned close to the waterfall (doesn’t matter what’s in the frame), separate it’s sound track, and add it to your video clip. I suppose you could turn on the recording option in GO 4, then use that recording, but it might pick up other sounds like your breathing, someone talking, or the drone itself. You would have to be close to the source you want to record and keep your mouth shut!
I think this whole subject is worth pursuing.
The only way you could really add sound without hearing the props is to use Adobe Audition and apply a noise print or sound remover to cancel out the prop noise. Now this would take some work and know how with Audition and even then any mic would have to be sensitive enough to still pick up on the other sound.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The only way you could really add sound without hearing the props is to use Adobe Audition and apply a noise print or sound remover to cancel out the prop noise. Now this would take some work and know how with Audition and even then any mic would have to be sensitive enough to still pick up on the other sound.
Yes. I’m going to experiment with a video I’m currently working on. I think the most direct approach is to make a separate recording after the flight using my phone in the actual environment, or similar environment. Then separate the audio track in post. I’m using FCPX.
I’ve never tried this, so it might sound kinda hoky.

The record the sound you want separately and add it in post is a good way to go, and is the method most commonly used by filmmakers. There is even a term for it “wild sound”

Reactions: Gindra

Strapping a small digital audio recorder to my Mavic 2 crossed my mind but only briefly*. Considering a GoPro or similar as it would allow for another camera though. Suggestions welcomed.

*Edit: by only briefly I mean I realized prop noise/general wind would dominate the audio. Will not be doing this.
I’ researched this before. There are several good ideas presented on You Tube.

The record the sound you want separately and add it in post is a good way to go, and is the method most commonly used by filmmakers. There is even a term for it “wild sound”
No, it’s called Foley sound and is either Digetic and Non-Diegetic in nature.

I use VSDC for my editor and it gives the option to split the audio and video tracks. Delete the audio of the props and add the audio of the recording.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom