DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What would stop you buying the Mavic 3?

Tim Henzell

Reactions
Like a few people, I'm in the position where I'm wondering whether to buy the Mavic 2 Pro, now that it's generously discounted, or hang on and wait for the Mavic 3.

There's been a lot of speculation about the goodies that the Mavic 3 might have, and I'm not going to add to that (you'll be relieved to hear!) However, I'd be very interested to hear about any new features the Mavic 3 might have that would be a 'deal breaker' for would- be buyers. Any thoughts?

for me it would have to have a greater flight time and the ability to have a variety of interchangeable camera options ,or at least the ability to change lenses the biggest issue is going to be how easy it is to transport around, i think it will take a giant leap in battery tech, to achieve flight time verses battery size and weight

No real deal-breakers other than retaining a similar weight and size when folded. It would just need to offer enough improvements to justify the expense over sticking with the M2P, especially since I'm looking to get a new high-end DSLR this year. Mostly, I'd need it to have sufficient improvements in image quality, flight time, and ability to get the shot in tricky lighting and environmental conditions.

Some of the potential "wishlist" type features might be enough to convince me to buy it as well though.

Buy the M2P now and enjoy it! It's only speculation that someday a Mavic 3 might be available. If/when it is introduced you would still have the wait time to receive it and then the endless updates for it to actually do what they said it would do. If you wait long enough you could buy a refurbished Mavic 3.

I'm starting to look at other drones that don't have all the flight restrictions built into the software. The Autel Evo doesn't have them and I appreciate having the responsibility squarely on my shoulders without needing the software's approval. That right now is the only issue I see. Flying a heavily software restricted drone isn't the experience I'm looking for.

I'm starting to look at other drones that don't have all the flight restrictions built into the software. The Autel Evo doesn't have them and I appreciate having the responsibility squarely on my shoulders without needing the software's approval. That right now is the only issue I see. Flying a heavily software restricted drone isn't the experience I'm looking for.
I agree with this but I've decided that the sub-250 gram space is likely going to be my RC future. The Mavics and Phantoms are really good photography drones but really boring to fly. With the smaller and smaller 4K cameras and VTXs you can have both great video and fun to fly, no registration, and substantially better crash durability (flew the little sucker right into a tree yesterday....replaced one prop and back in the air. I've crashed the thing about a dozen times without having to fix anything other than props and a battery strap. I just ordered the parts to build a cinewhoop (Shendrone Squirt). I'll decide what software the drone uses.

Folks might want to find out if the Mavic 3 will be compliant with the upcoming changes thats in the US anyway. If it is not compliant, it may be virtually useless in a couple few years....

Personally, I will not purchase another DJI product as I refuse to be told where I can and cannot fly by a Chinese monopoly.
I am perfectly capable of making the fly or no fly decision.

I agree with this but I've decided that the sub-250 gram space is likely going to be my RC future. The Mavics and Phantoms are really good photography drones but really boring to fly. With the smaller and smaller 4K cameras and VTXs you can have both great video and fun to fly, no registration, and substantially better crash durability (flew the little sucker right into a tree yesterday....replaced one prop and back in the air. I've crashed the thing about a dozen times without having to fix anything other than props and a battery strap. I just ordered the parts to build a cinewhoop (Shendrone Squirt). I'll decide what software the drone uses.

I just gutted a GoPro (only 30 grams gutted) to use it on a tiny whoop I'm building to get 4k on something even smaller than the Squirt.

Reactions: MacCool
I just gutted a GoPro (only 30 grams gutted) to use it on a tiny whoop I'm building to get 4k on something even smaller than the Squirt.
I’m a complete newbie, but I perceive a weight/size sweet spot where you get a good ratio of stability to size/maneuverability. I don’t know what that point is, but I think Paul Nurkala is a pretty smart guy, a great artist, and certainly a good drone pilot. As near as I can tell, the Squirt is right in that space, but if I’m wrong, it’s not terribly expensive to backtrack.

I’m a complete newbie, but I perceive a weight/size sweet spot where you get a good ratio of stability to size/maneuverability. I don’t know what that point is, but I think Paul Nurkala is a pretty smart guy, a great artist, and certainly a good drone pilot. As near as I can tell, the Squirt is right in that space, but if I’m wrong, it’s not terribly expensive to backtrack.
The Squirt is about what you need for a full GoPro. And it is accomplished by the tight prop clearance in the ducts to give extra lift.
I don't want to hy-jack the thread but one more vid although thats another reason not to buy a Mavic 3. Smaller, less dangerous drones are coming out with better and better video quality.
This is where I got the idea.

So, the original question was "What would stop you buying the Mavic 3?"..... simple. It doesn't exist.
For me, the answer to the question is “I don’t think that the Mavic 3 will represent a rewarding component of RC flying unless you’re willing to let your concept of that be determined by a company that has decided to collaborate with and kowtow to an out-of-control US governmental agency.”

Reactions: strdr
So, the original question was "What would stop you buying the Mavic 3?"..... simple. It doesn't exist.
I was waiting for get the Mavic 3 now in January and I decided to buy the Mavic 2 now for the price, is a proved drone. I will get the 3 eventually after all patches and failure are correct. Maybe 8 months after released.

Like a few people, I'm in the position where I'm wondering whether to buy the Mavic 2 Pro, now that it's generously discounted, or hang on and wait for the Mavic 3.

There's been a lot of speculation about the goodies that the Mavic 3 might have, and I'm not going to add to that (you'll be relieved to hear!) However, I'd be very interested to hear about any new features the Mavic 3 might have that would be a 'deal breaker' for would- be buyers. Any thoughts?

Autel Evo 2 announcement coming out next week, Rumored 8k Camera, 40min flight time, etc. Insta360 has a rumored drone coming out with 360 8K camera and 1 inch camera sensor.

What couuld stop me from purchasing a Mavic 3? Another drone comes out first with better features, better specs, less bugs, etc.

If you’ve never flown or owned a drone, I would suggest getting a Mini first. Mavic 3 would be more expensive than a Mavic 2. Unless you’ve got experience flying drones or is an actual pilot, the likelihood of crashing for the first time is very high. Crashing a Mini won’t hurt as much as crashing a Mavic 3. Doesn’t matter how much better specs its got if you turned it into a paperweight.

I was waiting for get the Mavic 3 now in January and I decided to buy the Mavic 2 now for the price, is a proved drone. I will get the 3 eventually after all patches and failure are correct. Maybe 8 months after released.

I'll wait to get one as well, save a lot of money and buy it used from someone that "just had to have it"...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman