Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's Ahead for Mavic? - Remote ID & Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

AYY_LMAO

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I've had an interest in drones for some time now and am looking into getting involved with the hobby. I've been one to do extensive research on anything I plan to dedicate my time and finances to, however, and one of the most pressing issues that I've encountered is the potential regulations that may be coming down the line (ie. Remote ID). These clearly will have a huge impact on how feasible of a commitment drones can be in terms of a hobby for myself and, I imagine, countless others. Here are a few key points to summarize what I understand about the proposed rules. Please note that these are tentative given the uncertainty behind the implementations.

1. Within 3 years of the rules' release, ALL drones must be in compliance with Remote ID
2. Remote ID compliance can occur at 3 levels
  • Standard: The drone broadcasts a radio signal detailing identification information AND the remote maintains a connection with a UAS service providers to log identification data
  • Limited: The remote maintains a connection with a UAS service provider to log identification data. The drone must be operated within visual line of sight (400 feet).
  • FRIA: Any drone without Remote ID capabilities can only be operated at an approved "FAA-Recognized Identification Area"
3. Remote ID UAS service providers will likely be private corporations, meaning monthly fees in addition to a registration process
4. DJI has demonstrated a version of Remote ID compliance utilizing WiFi and bluetooth signals within their drones since 2017, termed "Drone to Phone" that allows for simple & effective identification information transmission using already built-in technology. This potentially bypasses the need for a 3rd party "service provider" as well as the extra fees/registration
5. If I understand correctly, certain hardware upgrades (specialized radio) may be required to maintain compliance with the new rules. This would make many current drones obsolete.
6. ADS-B is not allowed to be utilized as the means of the drone transmitting Remote ID information so as to not clutter the respective ADS-B frequencies with massive signal noise from the large number of drone operators
7. Drones < 250g may not be subject to these rules

Please correct me if I have misunderstood any of these findings, or you have information that may broaden what I have concluded here. With this information, however, I have a few questions of my own and also those I've encountered from others.

A. What is the likelihood of DJI being able to maintain Remote ID compliance with a firmware update, rather than having to release new drones with new hardware (preventing current drones from obsolete as I referenced in point 5)? I've read in some places a firmware update is all that is required, rather than a brand new drones that everyone would have to upgrade to. It seems that the Mavic Pro 2 has a setting for "Remote ID" within the app as well, which may provide some evidence to this claim
B. Am I safe if I were to purchase a new drone today, specifically the DJI Mavic Air 2, or does this drone lack the specifications required to be compliant with the rule (meaning it would not be able to be fully used in a few years)? Realizing there is likely a few years before the regulations take effect, I would still like to know the drone I purchase will be able to be used for a long period of time. The longevity of a drone is not what is considered here, rather what is important is the satisfaction of knowing a product will simply be allowed to function to its full ability long into the future.
C. To what degree does the ADS-B AirSense feature would allow for DJI drones to be future-proof? ADS-B is apparently banned from broadcasting the required ID information, perhaps this feature may still allow for exceptions to the rule or somehow be partially compliant in a way
D. Is the Mavic Mini a better choice for someone looking for a long term drone solution given the possible upcoming rulings, or will the Mini's MTOW of >250g remove it from being an exception as has occurred in a few European countries?

I realize that several of these questions do not have absolute answers, and that the best thing we all can do is wait to see what the FAA decides and enjoy the drones we have now.
This post is meant to stir discussion and allow for people to share information that may help reinforce others' understandings of the complex atmosphere, or provide new compelling details that will bring us closer to definite answers. Please share whatever information and ideas you have. We would all love to hear more!

i feel that whatever happens down the line ,our pastime is going to cost a lot more than it does now to enable us to fly ,and the penalties for noncompliance will become more severe in the future

i feel that whatever happens down the line ,our pastime is going to cost a lot more than it does now to enable us to fly ,and the penalties for noncompliance will become more severe in the future

Likely what Old Man Mavic said... A few points I will add:

#1 The current proposed new rules are just that, (proposed). They were brought fourth by big biz collaborating with the FAA. Honestly I think the FAA had little idea of how many "go fly at the park near me - not AMA airfield" type flyers are out there. 50,000+ comments were submitted to the FAA during the public comment period. I would expect - or at least hope for some changes to include older aircraft that cannot be retrofitted with remote ID. After all we have been flying R/C aircraft safely for over 50 years. The big issues will be in the city and urban areas where drone delivery is presumed to be a big deal.

#2 The firmware along with phone apps etc give a HUGE amount of technical assistance and safety - I would be stunned (and pissed) if there is not a way to use these two things to bring older aircraft into compliance.

#3 It may depend on where you fly. Honestly if you are in the middle of nowhere, then I do not see obsolete aircraft being an issue. I will always fly safely using all technicality available - but I will tell you if I am literally 25 miles from the nearest habitation I am not going to worry about flying an "obsolete" aircraft.

It is a fun hobby (or biz adventure)... it is just getting more complicated for sure.

Perhaps I can summarize one of my main concerns in one question:

Should I buy the Mavic Air 2 now, or will it likely be non-compliant with upcoming Remote ID regulations and obsolete/severely limited in the coming years?

in the world of leading edge electronics,most things are out of date almost as soon as they are released
its the same with drones ,but with the added complication of ever changing rules and regs
even vehicles become obsolete as the rules on emissions,change and they can not be changed to comply
all you can do is look at all the info and then decide how badly you want a drone good luck

Reactions: Gindra
Perhaps I can summarize one of my main concerns in one question:

Should I buy the Mavic Air 2 now, or will it likely be non-compliant with upcoming Remote ID regulations and obsolete/severely limited in the coming years?
For the Cost of a Mavic Air 2, spend the $700 or so dollars, fly it for 30 months and enjoy it. You may have it all used up in 30 months, then buy a new one. if not, a light, external, the module will likely be out by then. There would be a large financial incentive for a company to make such a device. It is all about the all mighty dollar. If there is a market for it, someone will make one. If you want to fly, buy. Fix it when the time comes.

Reactions: haws24
I got this from the FAA in an Email a while ago. Wonder what will happen to my MPP.??

Well, you will have 30 months, after the 60 notice in the Federal Register to figure that one out. With the FAA approval of commercial delivery systems, via drone, everyone had to anticipate that this was inevitable. Fly and enjoy. Watch for the ID modules to be produced. Other than that hold on. The power requirements and information required is minimal, these modules should not sell for much...i will wait and see before panicking.

Just another way the Fed Gov tells the citizens to bend over and grab your ankles. Sorry P’s O S.
maybe Trump will veto this BS on his way out??‍♂️

Please continue this discussion on this thread since new regs are implemented:
Let’s keep it on one place to the benefit of all. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+