DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the air restrictions in downtown San Francisco?

But LAANC access is down until about 9pm this evening... forget which U.S. time zone. This might cause some glitches regardless.
If this were for real airplanes, they would completely shut down the national airspace until it was working, or at the very least, cancel all outbound flights! Be safe!

But LAANC access is down until about 9pm this evening... forget which U.S. time zone. This might cause some glitches regardless.

I meant to imply like Gord said, there shouldn’t be issues with Airmap, and I meant but there are issues with it so people need to double check other sources Even with Airmap.

Reactions: Thomas B
Check AirMap. You'll see that most of downtown SF is legal, though there's a big NFZ around TransAmerica Tower. ALL SF city parks are not legal for drones, though these are not shown as NFZs on AirMap. You can get a good view of the Bay Bridge, Financial District and the SF waterfront from Treasure Island.

Remember about the parks, let AirMap be your guide, and you won't go wrong.

So how would you fly in downtown SF exactly? Just take-off from the street provided there's no one around you? Sounds too good to be true, in France for instance flying inside towns/villages is never allowed (except abovea garden with the owner's authozation and provided you don't infringe on people's right to privacy).

So how would you fly in downtown SF exactly? Just take-off from the street provided there's no one around you? Sounds too good to be true, in France for instance flying inside towns/villages is never allowed (except abovea garden with the owner's authozation and provided you don't infringe on people's right to privacy).

This isn't like France. Yes, you can take off from the streets and some of the piers. See my other posts about San Francisco, especially A Day in San Francisco.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I am thinking of the NYC AREA from NJ(liberty state park takes up all of the safe area to fly relatively free of helicopter traffic. And I noticed it’s even worse in CA where the entire coast is off limits because of parks

Exchange Place, Paulus Hook are your friends ...

OP, be extra careful with San Fran. Ton of airports, SUA, TFRs plus National Parks are plenty, not to mention the VFR heli pilots who I know fly below 500' on occasion. I wouldn't fly too high or too far, stick to true VLOS. If you fly around the downtown area some of the public piers are probably your best place for launch points. Wouldn't be too flashy with the whole event either, so much misinformation with UAS operation it's best to be discrete, even when you're 100% legal. Don't bother with any of the city parks, cops will chase you away within minutes of trying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190904-205623_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20190904-205623_Firefox.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member