DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the air restrictions in downtown San Francisco?

tatmanblue

Reactions
I will admit I have not looked up anything regarding my question. I'm on vacay...thats my excuse.

I am visiting downtown San Francisco and haven't seen a single drone flying around. Not at any park, not any pier.

So I thought I would a take a break from walking around and ask. What's the air restrictions in downtown San Francisco?

Looks like pretty tight airspace.

Attachments

• 0E30B15B-DB72-4422-B39C-47A7EB9192A4.png
    0E30B15B-DB72-4422-B39C-47A7EB9192A4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Entire coast is red no flight, no flying near golden gate and surrounding terrain. Wharfs also appear off limits. All coastal islands and Alcatraz. Most of coast is national seashore, national monument, or national park. All red.

Map I showed is from AirMap. Which I have always felt is pretty up to date for drone flight.

Paul C

Stupid and people wonder why people fly where they shouldn’t. At 6 in the morning the parks should be open to drones. Then you wouldn’t have people flying over houses and cars. AND park officials could check up on drone pilot credentials and practices. Drone sales would go up too... more tax dollars to collect ! STUPID

Reactions: Roy A
Stupid and people wonder why people fly where they shouldn’t. At 6 in the morning the parks should be open to drones. Then you wouldn’t have people flying over houses and cars. AND park officials could check up on drone pilot credentials and practices. Drone sales would go up too... more tax dollars to collect ! STUPID

I completely disagree. Most people will get bored with flying in a park very quickly. This is why so many Drone pilots don't care to fly at a designated flying site.

Also most people genuinely desire to fly in areas near their home/office/businss just to get a new perspective of an area they are in every day.

Check AirMap. You'll see that most of downtown SF is legal, though there's a big NFZ around TransAmerica Tower. ALL SF city parks are not legal for drones, though these are not shown as NFZs on AirMap. You can get a good view of the Bay Bridge, Financial District and the SF waterfront from Treasure Island.

Remember about the parks, let AirMap be your guide, and you won't go wrong.

Reactions: BigAl07
Check AirMap. You'll see that most of downtown SF is legal, though there's a big NFZ around TransAmerica Tower. ALL SF city parks are not legal for drones, though these are not shown as NFZs on AirMap. You can get a good view of the Bay Bridge, Financial District and the SF waterfront from Treasure Island.

Remember about the parks, let AirMap be your guide, and you won't go wrong.

I don't see a NFZ around the Transamerica Pyramid on AirMap. (If you turn on the advisory layer, there's a notice about a gas generator of some sort, but that's not a NFZ)

Well, it's an NFZ in the same sense that schools, hospitals, and prisons are. You're probably better off not flying over them.

Well, it's an NFZ in the same sense that schools, hospitals, and prisons are. You're probably better off not flying over them.

Prisons are typically a different situation: many state laws specifically forbid flying over them (due to people dropping contraband into the prison yard), and DJI has actually locked out most prison locations and you can't self-unlock to fly at those spots.

Schools and hospitals are typically not NFZ at all. AirMap just notes those locations to let pilots know that people might be upset if you fly there.

Entire coast is red no flight, no flying near golden gate and surrounding terrain. Wharfs also appear off limits. All coastal islands and Alcatraz. Most of coast is national seashore, national monument, or national park. All red.

Map I showed is from AirMap. Which I have always felt is pretty up to date for drone flight.

Paul C

As you found out, don't rely on just one source, including Airmap. Too bad, because this oversight may cause those who don’t know any better to fly in NFZ’s.

Reactions: BigAl07
As you found out, don't rely on just one source, including Airmap. Too bad, because this oversight may cause those who don’t know any better to fly in NFZ’s.
Airmap is FAA approved and what I can use to get authorization in restricted airspace flying 107 there shouldn’t be any issue with it

I completely disagree. Most people will get bored with flying in a park very quickly. This is why so many Drone pilots don't care to fly at a designated flying site.

Also most people genuinely desire to fly in areas near their home/office/businss just to get a new perspective of an area they are in every day.
I am thinking of the NYC AREA from NJ(liberty state park takes up all of the safe area to fly relatively free of helicopter traffic. And I noticed it’s even worse in CA where the entire coast is off limits because of parks

I am a bit confused. This is from dji themselves....they show no restrictions...Is dji software just that out of date and unreliable?

View attachment 79223

Never trust DJI's map to determine legality of flights. Its frequently inaccurate unfortunately.

Never trust DJI's map to determine legality of flights. Its frequently inaccurate unfortunately.

^^^^ Nailed it ! ! !

Would you trust Ford/Chevy/GM/Honda/Subaru/.... to tell you where all the red lights and stop signs are? Nope we gotta rely on old school driving. In the case of Aviation that's an FAA Sectional or FAA Approved Application.

Yes, it helps as much when it is wrong, as it hinders when it is wrong elsewhere, if you don't want GEO determining your ability to fly, where you are otherwise authorized!

Airmap is FAA approved and what I can use to get authorization in restricted airspace flying 107 there shouldn’t be any issue with it

You are right, especially since Airmap is FAA approved, there shouldn’t be any issues with it [Edit] but there are...

I like Airmap also, but I’m just saying to double check. I use up to date paper sectionals to do that as well, others could do that or use the electronic versions too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
You are right, especially since Airmap is FAA approved, there shouldn’t be any issues with it.

I like Airmap also, but I’m just saying to double check. I use up to date paper sectionals to do that as well, others could do that or use the electronic versions too.
But LAANC access is down until about 9pm this evening... forget which U.S. time zone. This might cause some glitches regardless.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne