DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's The Deal with "Sealed in the Box" sales?

I did that once. I bought a Mav 3 Enterprise after mine crashed. They said it was on back order and would take 1 mnth to arrive. In the meantime, I sent my crashed drone to DJI who fixed and returned it in less than 2 weeks. I couldn't''t back out of the purchased drone, so when I received it, I wanted to sell it on ebay as "NEW". On ebay, you can't claim it's new if you open it. If you open it you have to sell it as "OPEN BOX" which reduces it's value. So I kept the box shut and waited for a buyer who didn't question why I kept the box sealed. I got a better price than I would have, if I had opened it.

Also, some people will buy drones in bulk and sell them. They too can't open the box. The item would be considered open box and the price would have to be reduced. So they keep the box sealed , so they can label it as NEW.
This is what I found found regarding ebay listings:

Cameras & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers/Tablets & Networking, Electronics, Home & Garden, Musical Instruments & Gear, Headphones, Portable Audio & Home Audio, Video Game Consoles, Smart Home​

• New: The brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item is in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Open box: The item is in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or it may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and a description

You can sell your goods for whatever price you feel you can get for them. I can fetch the same price for a drone in a box with no wrapping as you can with your same drone still in the wrap. Experienced ebay sellers know it is more about how your describe it rather than the New/Open box rating.

This is what I found found regarding ebay listings:

Cameras & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers/Tablets & Networking, Electronics, Home & Garden, Musical Instruments & Gear, Headphones, Portable Audio & Home Audio, Video Game Consoles, Smart Home​

• New: The brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item is in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Open box: The item is in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or it may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and a description

You can sell your goods for whatever price you feel you can get for them. I can fetch the same price for a drone in a box with no wrapping as you can with your same drone still in the wrap. Experienced ebay sellers know it is more about how your describe it rather than the New/Open box rating.
Hmmmm. Maybe I'll take you advice next time I sell a new item on Ebay.

So, you find that yourself and others can get the same price on an item sealed or unsealed? If that's the case, I'll try it.

Do you explain the open box status, like, "This item is new, the box was opened soley to take photos of the item and to assure all parts and or components are included in the package."

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll take you advice next time I sell a new item on Ebay.

So, you find that yourself and others can get the same price on an item sealed or unsealed? If that's the case, I'll try it.

Do you explain the open box status, like, "This item is new, the box was opened soley to take photos of the item and to assure all parts and or components are included in the package."
For example, let's say you have the new drone still in the box but it has no wrapping or the wrapping is mostly torn off and you rather not deal with having to explain it. For drones, what is most important to serious buyers is whether the drone has been activated (or not), whether there are any flight mileage on teh drone....even the stickers and tabs that originally come on the drone; you can show these in the pictures. Serious buyers want to know if the product is new or not, not necessarily if the packaging is new or not. Obviously if you have damaged or no packaging (which could be a direct indicator of the product quality), you should address it but to me "Open Box" screams somebody had this drone and didn't like it, no longer wanted it, returned it, something might be wrong with it, etc. Open Box usually doesn't mean "I opened the box on my own drone" or "I received the drone in the mail and it didn't have the same wrapping that is has at the store."

It's eBay, use your own judgment. If you are not dealing with a dishonest buyer, you won't have any problems with someone claiming their product is or is not brand new because of the wrapping. My point is failing to claim your item is "brand new" does not automatically or effectively diminish the selling price if your listing is on point. But I agree with you (and I have done it as well), if you plan to offload something and you haven't yet opened it, no point in opening it because it is *easier* to point that out and the rest speaks for itself (ie. flight time, whether you can get care refresh, what accessories are in the box, etc).

Likely:
  • Bought some time ago, never opened, no longer interested
  • Bought at a lower price and flipping to make a profit
  • Buying a replacement drone as a package and selling the unwanted accessories to make up some of the cost
  • Buying drones for a commercial purpose and selling the unwanted accessories
  • And, they could be hot, but less likely since most stores have these types of items locked up
Read the post about the BestBuy that is closing because they're right next to the highway and gangs were coming in every month or so and just ripping the place off.
It may not be the first reason but with all the "Tolerated" shoplifting going on in the U.S. now, you never know.

Read the post about the BestBuy that is closing because they're right next to the highway and gangs were coming in every month or so and just ripping the place off
Got a link?

Another source is online “pallet auctions” of old stock items. I suppose it works somewhat like this:
DJI comes out with a new model
They don’t want the old ones back
They make some sort of deal with Best Buy
Best Buy sells at a lower sale price for a while
The rest get sent to a warehouse to go to a liquidation auction site

I have seen pics of piles of dji drones at one guys place in PA that had them listed on Craigslist. That seller said that is basically how he got them and could sell so cheap.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Maybe a hijacked Best Buy Truck? Just kidding of course.
Or one of those gangs the other guy who got a deal from Best Buy, mentioned! LOL

Possibly a dealer that is getting rid of old stock, either to buy new stock or just getting out of the business. However, I too wonder why so much all from the same person going up for sale still in the box.

I can "Assume" This is about my for sale postings as I am selling SOME of my equipment for the time being.
Although I DO NOT HAVE TO, I will tell you all since there is so much "Interest" In my for sale ads.

I was involved in a car accident that left me with a nice settlement check back in 2019, and me and my father got really into drones so I went drone crazy and bought around 60-70k worth of equipment with the hopes that me and my father both could do SAR (search and rescue) with them as we were just getting into the hobby and trying to help locate a missing person by the name of Kevin Bass in Milledgeville, Ga.
Both my father and I have helped Project Drew out of Augusta Ga, search for missing people.
When the gov't banned use of DJI drones and the local authorities around me started investing into their own equipment we both concluded that trying to make a SAR business would not work, and the drones have sat since, being rotated on chargers to maintain them every so often... I only fly on rare occasions now.

I am Just like any other person who has a "hobby" collecting cards, guns, fishing equipment, coins, etc.
only that I collect drones.
I am not a crook, I do not own any business, and I for sure haven't "stolen" anything.
I have done business on this forum with many members, and have references here if any of you were actually interested in my for sale items.
I'm just getting tired of seeing all of this equipment not get used, collecting dust, and depreciating in value as the days go by.
I do not understand why it is so difficult to understand that some people have stuff that they have never opened.
I have TONS of DRONES!

Furthermore, I have posted the drones I had at the time back in 2022 and stated to everyone who read it I have an addiction! I'm really just getting out of the drone scene.
If there are any more questions any of you need answered before you feel comfortable purchasing some of my equipment just let me know, I am very easy to get along with and quite talkative, lol.
I have currently sold 2 batteries to @LakesGuy
and just shipped a smart controller out to @The Kid
I also have a deal worked out with @Starz but there was a mishap with the amount of money he sent and I haven't heard back from him yet.

here is my post from 2022. If you would like some more "proof" I took my newest for sale pictures on the same Dining table in my home!

I can "Assume" This is about my for sale postings as I am selling SOME of my equipment for the time being.
Although I DO NOT HAVE TO, I will tell you all since there is so much "Interest" In my for sale ads.

I was involved in a car accident that left me with a nice settlement check back in 2019, and me and my father got really into drones so I went drone crazy and bought around 60-70k worth of equipment with the hopes that me and my father both could do SAR (search and rescue) with them as we were just getting into the hobby and trying to help locate a missing person by the name of Kevin Bass in Milledgeville, Ga.
Both my father and I have helped Project Drew out of Augusta Ga, search for missing people.
When the gov't banned use of DJI drones and the local authorities around me started investing into their own equipment we both concluded that trying to make a SAR business would not work, and the drones have sat since, being rotated on chargers to maintain them every so often... I only fly on rare occasions now.

I am Just like any other person who has a "hobby" collecting cards, guns, fishing equipment, coins, etc.
only that I collect drones.
I am not a crook, I do not own any business, and I for sure haven't "stolen" anything.
I have done business on this forum with many members, and have references here if any of you were actually interested in my for sale items.
I'm just getting tired of seeing all of this equipment not get used, collecting dust, and depreciating in value as the days go by.
I do not understand why it is so difficult to understand that some people have stuff that they have never opened.
I have TONS of DRONES!

Furthermore, I have posted the drones I had at the time back in 2022 and stated to everyone who read it I have an addiction! I'm really just getting out of the drone scene.
If there are any more questions any of you need answered before you feel comfortable purchasing some of my equipment just let me know, I am very easy to get along with and quite talkative, lol.
I have currently sold 2 batteries to @LakesGuy
and just shipped a smart controller out to @The Kid
I also have a deal worked out with @Starz but there was a mishap with the amount of money he sent and I haven't heard back from him yet.

here is my post from 2022. If you would like some more "proof" I took my newest for sale pictures on the same Dining table in my home!

Nice share and should clear the air for any doubters. Commendable motivational start up to help others!
Kudos and hope you can claw back a good return of your outlay.

Reactions: awaka_
Why?

So they're not "new in still sealed boxes" which is what this thread's about.
Because I posted my stuff that hasn't been opened all at once in the classifieds.
The equipment that I have posted at this time is all new and unused, I did not want to flood the classifieds with a ton of listings and people get the wrong idea, which I can read some already have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne