DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the point of buying a Mavic 2 Zoom actually?

Speaking of drones having Dangers , The AIR 2 has a major charging bug that is going to Compromise a lot of batteries

Alert Warning: If you charge your battery with the Multi Battery Charger you will have to send your Battery back to DJI to Activate it.
You need to charge it using the Regular battery charger by itself first to activate with DJI

So spot on about the dangers of a new drone.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Bug? Perhaps it’s not a bug.
Perhaps they feel that third-party Chargers are a bad idea

Bug? Perhaps it’s not a bug.
Perhaps they feel that third-party Chargers are a bad idea

Were not talking about third party chargers were talking about that DJI Multi Charger that comes with the Air 2 .
Anyway your good as you have been warned not to do it. ;)

Reactions: TwoLiterSoda
Were not talking about third party chargers were talking about that DJI Multi Charger that comes with the Air 2 .
Anyway your good as you have been warned not to do it. ;)
I see You didn’t say that in your original post.

And that’s why you don’t order a drone on the day it comes out.

why is it that with every new drone that DJI bring out,that all anybody seems to want to do is compare its attributes ,to other models in the line up ,all the mavics are different ,and they all serve consumers needs in different ways ,i have no problem comparing them with models from other producers ,competition is what powers inorvation and improvements to tech,
when the MM was introduced ,it was plagued with negativity,because it didnt have this or that couldn't do this or that ,but it was never meant to have the features of other mavics
Yeah, and I bet that 95% of the people who put the Mini down or placed negativity on the Mavic Mini ended up buying one and now loves them.

I watched a youtube video recently where a professional photographer compared the 2 drones. He came to the conclusion that the Pro still has the superior camera which gave greater post processing capability and had a LOT less noise in the video and pictures than the Mavic Air 2. He still rated the Mavic Air 2 as a very capable camera that gave great results any amateur would be happy with so it really came down to if the benefits of the Pro's camera is worth the extra money to individual who is looking at them. For me, I just use my Mavic Air (1) for my own personal stuff and am happy enough with those results and I cannot see me making use of what the Pro can offer so I will spending my money on the Mavic Air 2 because what they improve on the original Mavic Air is what I was missing, I do not need a camera that is better than what it is offering (i.e. Mavic 2 Zoom).

The camera doesn't necessarily make the drone. I started flying drones when most of them didn't even come with cameras (or even GPS for that matter). Drones were just remote control models. People flew them for the fun of flying. Look at most current fixed wing RC models. Very few come with cameras. People fly them within visual line of sight just for the fun of it.

I'm still in the 'fly for fun' camp. I didn't buy my Zoom specifically to take video or pictures. I mostly like to fly around and explore the surroundings on my tablet. (The zoom feature is really handy for this). I never shoot RAW photos (always JPG), and I rarely go above 1080P/30 when shooting video. As a matter of fact I don't shoot video or stills for most of the flights I take.

If I were a serious RC photographer, I'd completely bypass consumer class drones and go for something like a DJI Inspire 2 equipped with a DJI Zenmuse X7 camera.

If I were a serious RC photographer, I'd completely bypass consumer class drones and go for something like a DJI Inspire 2 equipped with a DJI Zenmuse X7 camera.

Although I pretty much only use my drone for photos I wouldn't say I'm a serious RC photographer but choose to use the Mavic 2 Pro because it's the best balance of what I want. The 1in sensor is still much smaller than I'd like but it's still a decent step up from a 1/2.3in sensor and crucially with no real size or weight penalty, I use my drone to shoot landscapes in remote areas either by walking with the drone or cycling with it and that's entirely viable with the M2P even while still taking FF equipment alongside but not even remotely viable with something like the Inspire.

I recently got the mini as a starting point but I have been researching all week so I could make a decision for the next drone which I am leaning towards the zoom.

The Air 2 is indeed a good deal as I am not a photographer, rather want it for fun.

Reasons for wanting zoom :
- Zoom feature
- larger = more stable
- Smart controller

I know SC will eventually come to Air 2, but Buying the package from the beginning on the zoom, saves money.

Also, coming from RC helicopters in the past, I am still inhibited on letting the drone fly far from my sight, and letting it it do it's thing especially if some wind is present.
I just don't trust yet the mini, so larger drone would make me feel more secure.
And of course, it's a proven drone so far.

Size, is a major factor for me (more stable)unless someone can assure me that the air would be the same in that situation which I doubt ?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I recently got the mini as a starting point but I have been researching all week so I could make a decision for the next drone which I am leaning towards the zoom.

The Air 2 is indeed a good deal as I am not a photographer, rather want it for fun.

Reasons for wanting zoom :
- Zoom feature
- larger = more stable
- Smart controller

I know SC will eventually come to Air 2, but Buying the package from the beginning on the zoom, saves money.

Also, coming from RC helicopters in the past, I am still inhibited on letting the drone fly far from my sight, and letting it it do it's thing especially if some wind is present.
I just don't trust yet the mini, so larger drone would make me feel more secure.
And of course, it's a proven drone so far.

Size, is a major factor for me (more stable)unless someone can assure me that the air would be the same in that situation which I doubt ?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I had a trawl through the crash/flyaway forums here and noted the cause of each problem and the Mavic Mini is the only one in the Mavic series that appears to suffer badly from problems in the wind, the other three have few cases attributed to high winds:

Whether that carries to the Mavic Air 2 or not I don't know but the fact it doesn't have the tight restrictions the Mini does would hopefully mean they can spec the drone with a decent amount of power.

Makes sense.
One other reason every time I look at Air 2 and immediately refrain from even thinking about it, is the remote.

I mean, I understand it is personal taste, but to me they did such an ugly job. That thing does not look nice at all.
But that's me. Don't mean to offend anyone .

Reactions: Lionfish
Makes sense.
One other reason every time I look at Air 2 and immediately refrain from even thinking about it, is the remote.

I mean, I understand it is personal taste, but to me they did such an ugly job. That thing does not look nice at all.
But that's me. Don't mean to offend anyone .

I wasn't too fussed about the design of the controller but the mechanism for holding the phone seems a lot better as it's easier to get the phone in, you can keep the case on and it's easy to get the cable in the side compared to the jaws of the existing remotes which can be fiddly. I wondered how the balance would be with a tablet which looked like it would be too top heavy to be practical though I've seen some pictures using it and seems fine.

The bigger concern to me would be the lack of any display so you're entirely reliant on your mobile device whereas with the Mavic 1/2 at least if you have any issues, you can fall back to the remote display to get the drone home ok. It's not something that happens often but I'd rather have the data there than not.

Reactions: Elude
The bigger concern to me would be the lack of any display so you're entirely reliant on your mobile device whereas with the Mavic 1/2 at least if you have any issues, you can fall back to the remote display to get the drone home ok. It's not something that happens often but I'd rather have the data there than not.
Also a big point for me. Coming from RC helicopters I am used to having a nice, big, solid remote with a nice screen. I hate having to use my phone with my mini. I am going to dedicate a retired Note 8 that I have just for that at the moment, but I am seriously thinking of biting the bullet and getting the zoom so I can use the SC with it, as well as take advantage of all the other features of course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis