DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats this icon mean

OK, based on subsequent posts, Truegreen may have blended two statements that was displayed into a single misleading one.
"check GPS settings" - having it off or not having permission to it can deny access to the compass, which may be all it really wants
"Calibrate device compass" - if it is inaccurate, it can't know which way you are facing, and so it can't know where the AC is around you. If the AC is North of you, and you are facing west, then the AC is to your right. But if the app thinks you're facing east, it will show the AC to your left.

Reactions: tribar
Does your "screen" device have built in GPS? If you're running an iPad or iPod (without Cellular capability) there's no GPS. That icon show the relative position of the monitoring device's GPS location to the reported GPS location of the Mini.
NO need for GPS on the smart device to show the relative position, ONLY compass direction.
The system assumes your GPS-less smart device is near the recorded homepoint at take-off.

Last edited:
Ah HA! So it DOES use device GPS somehow, despite what some here say. That would be a problem for Wi-Fi only iPads.

In theory though, it should be able to assume you're reasonably near the HP and use HP as center, then use the device compass, which even the WiFi only iPad has, for position relative to which way you're facing.

Be sure Fly app has permission to location services. Not having permission will definitely cause the displayed icon.
I just purchased a Garmin Glo 2 for use with my Ipad Mini 5 and now it displays dead on. Is it that big of a deal, not sure, but it is nice to be able to look quickly and see where your drone is relative to your R/C

So can someone please condense this question;I’m using iphone(no need to try calibration;on smart device gps or compass;;and should my orientation still work ok on previous firmware

So can someone please condense this question;I’m using iphone(no need to try calibration;on smart device gps or compass;;and should my orientation still work ok on previous firmware
I've read your post several times now and still don't know whether you're trying to ask a question or tell something. ?

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
I gave up on it also ,a ! losing battle . They also need to change the GPS icons to black or make it larger. This morning I took off and could not see how many sats I had even with a hood on my phone. Bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus