DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When can wee see the option to turn off phone charging for Android?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I've heard DJI has crappy support but is there a place where all of the Android owners can whine to them about getting this option in an update?

I've heard DJI has crappy support but is there a place where all of the Android owners can whine to them about getting this option in an update?

It's an Android system limitation. There's nothing DJI can do about it unfortunately.

Reactions: CareyL and Meta4
I'll give it a shot, there's gotta be
It's an Android system limitation. There's nothing DJI can do about it unfortunately.
Really, can you tell me what an iphone has that an android doesn't?
Thanks very much,
Randy

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'll give it a shot, there's gotta be

Really, can you tell me what an iphone has that an android doesn't?
Thanks very much,
Randy

Android doesn't allow apps to control the charging status of the USB port. Apple apparently does allow for that kind of control (of their lightning port).

Android doesn't allow apps to control the charging status of the USB port. Apple apparently does allow for that kind of control (of their lightning port).

Android do allow apps to control the charging status of the USB port. I use my Huawei phone to stream Movies through Type c to HDMI adapter and popup options appears once connected to my tv , and I can stop charging the phone from that port

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200627_004427.jpg
    Screenshot_20200627_004427.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 16
Android do allow apps to control the charging status of the USB port. I use my Huawei phone to stream Movies through Type c to HDMI adapter and popup options appears once connected to my tv , and I can stop charging the phone from that port

In my experience that option doesn't *stop* charging if you choose the other options, it just gives you the option to "charge only" versus charging+data. Maybe Huawei implemented it differently though?

In my experience that option doesn't *stop* charging if you choose the other options, it just gives you the option to "charge only" versus charging+data. Maybe Huawei implemented it differently though?

Yes it stop the charging , I can tell by changing the indicator of the battery on the phone screen , but this didnt work with the MM controller. Choosing any other option will be false and it automaticaly change to "charge only" selction, I dont know why it forces the phone to draw current from the controller

Obviously nothing can be done on DJI's side or they wouldn't have put a big battery into the RC of the MA2.

My understanding is that it does not work in all flavors of Andriod

What's the problem about it charging the phone
I can't see any problem

Major problem to me is that the phone is overheating. But I think using one charge of the controller will be fine to fly my MM using the 3 batteries before the controller battery die. But that heating is really bad

Yes it stop the charging , I can tell by changing the indicator of the battery on the phone screen , but this didnt work with the MM controller. Choosing any other option will be false and it automaticaly change to "charge only" selction, I dont know why it forces the phone to draw current from the controller

As noted, Android does not let Apps control the charge state of a non-rooted device (although there may be some specific work arounds for certain devices that will apply to that individual phone model). When you plug in an HDMI adapter as you did, you are getting and Android message on how to use it (not an app message). I think the Android HDMI thing is buggy and some people have a hard time trying to get it to charge with one of those options set if you want to. So, DJI can't control the charge state, but if you physically plug the phone into something like an adapter, Android itself still has the ability to change the state.

Major problem to me is that the phone is overheating. But I think using one charge of the controller will be fine to fly my MM using the 3 batteries before the controller battery die. But that heating is really bad

If its a huge problem for you, you can root the device and then there are apps you can use that will turn off charging.
I don't know about the Mini, but for the Air 2, the controller has a large battery (actually 2 batteries) so that it is not the limiting factor. Your phone will die long before the Mavic Air 2 controller if both are fully charged.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet