DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When do various radio signals conflict (RE: "Blasting zone")

gnbrotz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Today I filmed a local stone quarry. It was idle and empty because of the observed holiday, but the "Turn off 2-way radios" signs at each entrance had me wondering.

I know there are all manner of radio signals floating around, and I also know the posted warnings are because of blasting that takes place there on a regular basis. What I don't completely understand is how the signals our drones use factor into the big picture. Are the types of signals our drones use a potential conflict?

I was actually able to see what I wanted to see from a legal altitude, while still remaining outside the official perimeter of the facility. If I choose to go back to see things in action, does the presence of my drone signals create a hazard?

Reactions: Gagey52
Today I filmed a local stone quarry. It was idle and empty because of the observed holiday, but the "Turn off 2-way radios" signs at each entrance had me wondering.

I know there are all manner of radio signals floating around, and I also know the posted warnings are because of blasting that takes place there on a regular basis. What I don't completely understand is how the signals our drones use factor into the big picture. Are the types of signals our drones use a potential conflict?

I was actually able to see what I wanted to see from a legal altitude, while still remaining outside the official perimeter of the facility. If I choose to go back to see things in action, does the presence of my drone signals create a hazard?
They say that about cell phones even in any field like that also.

Not sure about how the triggers work in that environment, but most likely they are remote instead of wire line.

dynamiteblasting4.jpg

Reactions: SkyeHigh and AZDave
For some reason people who handle explosives for a living are very wary of possible sources of ignition.
If you were setting the charges or handling explosives or working nearby, you probably would be too.

https://www.orica.com/ArticleDocuments/2606/200415_Safety%20of%20Electronic%20Detonators%20for%202010%20ISEE%20Lownds,%20Steiner.pdf.aspx
If I were in that position, I'd learn the facts and not worry about things that were irrelevant. It's clearly understood that radios and cell phones will be active outside the gates, and out of the control of quarry personnel.

To answer my own question, since my original post, I've found discussions about the use of UAVs to monitor blasting processes, including UAV mounted high-speed cameras to record the actual explosion patterns for analysis. This suggests that UAVs in proximity to blasting activities is not necessarily a potential trigger for uplanned detonation.

If I choose to go back to see things in action, does the presence of my drone signals create a hazard?
Then call the quarry and have a chat with their safety officer and see what he has to say about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer