DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When do YOU use Return to Home?

I also thought in the beginning that RTH was a recovery function for emergency cases. When I tried it the first time, to get familiair with my first Phantom (many years ago) I was surprised that it worked so well. Since than I always use it when the battery gets low or when I loose sight on the drone. In The Netherlands we always have to keep a drone in sight, which is not always easy as you know. When I don't see it anymore, I don't panic but after a while I think it is wise to bring it back in sight and press RTH. When I see it approach me I sometimes quit the RTH procedure and fly further. But often I do not interrupt the procedure and enjoy to see my toy land automatically at less than an inch from its original starting point.

My RTH-altitude is always 130 feet or more, to avoid tall trees.
I'm with you there on that. Today I allowed it to do its own RTH fully since the ground was tarmac, but other wise I cancel when it's a metre or two off the ground and hand land. I often use a wide circular photo reflector as my launch pad but even then have to move it over to land the drone squarely on it.

I like the idea of a drone being able to retrace and backtrack it's steps.
What's referred to as SRTL (Smart RTL) in arducopter world. Drone tries to return via the areas it flew through during the flight (so it knows they are safe), instead of just straight line to 'Home'. Interestingly, DJI article How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely - DJI Store says some of their drones do it in first 30 seconds of RTL.

Also a gotcha: "Something worth remembering is that if your drone is less than 20 meters away from you when you press the RTH button then it will land just where it is" - keep in mind if you're launching off a boat ;)

What's referred to as SRTL (Smart RTL) in arducopter world. Drone tries to return via the areas it flew through during the flight (so it knows they are safe), instead of just straight line to 'Home'. Interestingly, DJI article How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely - DJI Store says some of their drones do it in first 30 seconds of RTL.

Also a gotcha: "Something worth remembering is that if your drone is less than 20 meters away from you when you press the RTH button then it will land just where it is" - keep in mind if you're launching off a boat ;)
Lol. My Avata has a habit of attempting to land where it shouldn’t because of this. Low battery rth kicks in and it is a bit of a scramble to cancel and go home. I should watch the battery level better but I am usually trying to avoid something. 🙄😉

Lol. My Avata has a habit of attempting to land where it shouldn’t because of this. Low battery rth kicks in and it is a bit of a scramble to cancel and go home. I should watch the battery level better but I am usually trying to avoid something. 🙄😉
Yeah I gotta agree. The Avata RTH is a little bit tricky on timing, you don't want to be too far away when it goes off. They probably should put more on the timer to give you a chance to cancel.

I'm obviously in the minority here (by far) but other than testing different RTH settings etc I don't use RTH. In the last 10 years(or more) I've only hit RTH for testing reasons. I have yet (as far as I recall) to hit RTH in order to call it a day etc.

I'm definitely Old School . . .
im with you.
I like to have full control at all times. Ive only ever used it to demo its use to students.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Let’s ask another question.
What is a high RTH altitude? I tend to add 100 feet to the drone grabbing obstacles that are in the flight area to help with the old eye syndrome that isn’t as good anymore for judging height at a distance. Fifty feet might cut it, but a hundred makes me feel better. Wind issues are verified prior to takeoff so I know what I may be up against in crisis mode. I have also stayed away from the mini line specifically for the wind issues that are somewhat difficult to predict at varying heights. I’ve always leaned towards more horsepower on anything I touch.
I do the same thing, better safe than sorry. I will take some of my drones out with mild winds, but never my mini's. Also, in Florida, wind can change very quickly in the summer within a single flight. Also, it can be zero wind AGL, and 20+ mph at 100'. RTH in sport mode usually helps get the drone home in these conditions.

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
I didn’t realize this was such a debatable issue.😁. There is no harm in using RTH, especially with the additional safety features implemented by DJI. Concerning battery life, it does not require more battery to use. It actually may use less, as it doesn’t fly home at full speed, where you might if you manually fly home. My opinion, do what you feel most comfortable with, and be happy.

Another interesting read. I am on a ridge with trees and a small landing area. I use RTH at the end of my flight to get the bird back home. But once it is overhead I cancel RTH and bring it down and land manually

This is not atypical for where I often fly from:

For reference, I took off from and landed in the clearing directly below. Even just flying straight up and straight down on a nearly windless day my Mini 3 Pro drifted a bit — it came down about six feet from the takeoff point. Or it would have if I hadn't corrected while (slowly and carefully) descending. If I'd been relying on RTH to land it would likely have hit a tree or landed in a tangle of fallen branches.

(I erased the bright orange landing pad while making the panorama. It was handy to have, though, as the ground was uneven and the bright colour made landing in the clearing a lot easier.)

Reactions: BigAl07
For reference, I took off from and landed in the clearing directly below. Even just flying straight up and straight down on a nearly windless day my Mini 3 Pro drifted a bit — it came down about six feet from the takeoff point. Or it would have if I hadn't corrected while (slowly and carefully) descending. If I'd been relying on RTH to land it would likely have hit a tree or landed in a tangle of fallen branches.

First, when a drone is in the air, there should always be an attentive pilot, ready to take active control if it's getting into trouble. That should go without saying.

However, it's no more negligent/lazy/whatever to use the RTH automation regularly to end a flight and return than to use the cruise control feature supported on some DJI models. RTH, like cruise control, or dare I say altitude hold, are simply tools.

Those that are critical or dismissive of using RTH as a regular part of flying, in particular based in the idea that features that make flying easier and more convenient are "not flying", need to take a deeper look at how much automation is in play with a DJI drone in N/S modes, while they are "manually" "flying" it.

We all rely at every moment on position and altitude hold. We expect when we center the sticks that the drone will brake and stop, and then stay in place. On it's own.

We also rely on pointing the drone in some direction, holding pitch forward, and the drone following the heading we have set and following a straight course.

This is what the RTH dissenters in this, and other threads about RTH seem to forget – there is much more automation in play and the drone doing the flying for ordinary flight than the incremental addition of automation that occurs with RTH. All RTH does is add automation of "go there, that fast".

Flying home is easy. Holding position and altitude are not. Holding a heading and staying on a course are also very challenging when you have to do it.

I've relied on RTH plus Precision Landing to fly from very small areas – 10'x10' deck for example. Why not? I rely on it to brake by itself too.

To really fly your drone, you've got to fly something that supports full manual mode, where you have to hold position, altitude, brake with counter-pitch/roll, etc.

If you never have, you'll learn just how little flying skill you actually have when it comes to the brains of the drone doing so much of the actual flying, while you simply tell it what direction to go and how fast, not having any real control over pitch, roll, and throttle.

And this is exactly why Mr. Nooby Noob can buy a Mini 2 and be up in the air immediately flying successfully. Little skill is required to fly a DJI drone in N/S modes. Little skill is required to command, "go that way, that fast".

If actually flying the aircraft, as in manual mode, was all there was, I suspect many here, would not be. 😁

This isn't to say that many pilots here that have been flying for years haven't developed important skills, some of them difficult to achieve, in operating a modern drone. It's just that the actual skills needed to do the raw flying are pretty much unnecessary because of the very high degree of automation in modern drones just taking care of the basic flying, so we don't have to.

perhaps we should change the term flying a camera drone ,as in pilot
and use the term direct a camera drone,as we guide it through the air
the skill comes from being able control the drone successfully, by our judgment alone as we do various manouvers over ,under, above, around, and between objects in the path of the drone
any form of Radio Controlled model, whatever it is ,has a learning curve ,to be successful,in controlling it, as is moves, whether its on water ,the ground ,or in the air ,
in the case of the DJI drones we use, then many of the skills needed ,to have a successful flight ,have been automated ,simply ,to allow more people to enjoy ,the experience of flight,without continually crashing and breaking their drones

I didn’t realize this was such a debatable issue.😁. There is no harm in using RTH, especially with the additional safety features implemented by DJI. Concerning battery life, it does not require more battery to use. It actually may use less, as it doesn’t fly home at full speed, where you might if you manually fly home. My opinion, do what you feel most comfortable with, and be happy.
It isnt a debatable issue, nor do i read that anyone is being critical or dismissive. Everyone has their own preferences and priorities when operating our RPAS. I dont use RTH, I have formed my reasoning for that from my own experiences from nearly 50 years working in Aviation. But, i could care less if someone else uses the RTH system or not. They have their own reasons and priorities for their operations. (i would criticize the operator than turns his back on his drone to work on another task). All the systems are there to be used or not used. Each to their own.

“Let’s ask another question.
What is a high RTH altitude?”
Great question! A good one everyone should ask and answer for themselves depending on where they are flying as every site is different. The answer should be something like at least 100-ft above everything between you and the drone at each flying site.

It isnt a debatable issue, nor do i read that anyone is being critical or dismissive. Everyone has their own preferences and priorities when operating our RPAS. I dont use RTH, I have formed my reasoning for that from my own experiences from nearly 50 years working in Aviation. But, i could care less if someone else uses the RTH system or not. They have their own reasons and priorities for their operations. (i would criticize the operator than turns his back on his drone to work on another task). All the systems are there to be used or not used. Each to their own.
I would venture to suggest that the fact there is nearly 100 replies to the OG, that this is in fact a debatable issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️

then debate away. I just see people stating their preferences with the odd person claiming their way is the best way. The world is full of these type, and i dont feel the need to debate with this mindset

I'd argue a disconnect is a total loss of control (and telemetry), as there is nothing you can do to affect the flight behavior of the aircraft. Heck you don't even know if its flying or not if out of VLOS.

Very good analogy. Similarly, after 45 years of driving, I feel no need to practice my speed-control skills. The idea that I'm losing my edge in that skillset by using cruise control is comical.

For me, bringing my drone home from some distant locale of interest is no different.

Where I do practice doing it all myself on takeoff and landing regularly is manual flight with the Avata and FPV. This what really should be viewed as truly controlling the aircraft on takeoff and landing, and the skill level by comparison is in the stratosphere.

It's fiction that much skill is required to land in N and S modes. The skill required is positioning over the LZ and telling the drone to land. YOU don't land it. The drone lands itself, controlling the descent profile, using VPS to stay horizontally in place, slowing nearly to a stop inches from the ground, then gently touching down and stopping the motors. YOU are just standing there drooling with the throttle held full-down. Try that with an Avata in manual mode 😁

I say none of this to offend, rather to inform. Once you land a drone in true manual mode, your idea of what skill is involved in landing a DJI bird in N/S modes dramatically changes. Once you've actually had to provide all the control inputs to descend smoothing and touch down gently, vertically, you'll understand there is almost no meaningful pilot skill at all in landing in N/S.

I have a few hundred hours now flying the Avata in manual, including landings. I still come down too hard more than I'd like, have some horizontal drift when I touch down, and other common mistakes. It's really hard!!!
I had a Mini 2 and an Avata, but recently swapped the Mini 2 for a Mini 4 Pro which I fly about 10 times more than the Avata. Two totally different drones with two totally different uses and feels.

The Avata is more about sport flying but I have a hard time landing the Avata. I'd be lucky if I could place it within a picnic table sized spot. I NEVER tried RTH with the Avata! I've gotta try that!!! Thanks!!

The Avata is more about sport flying but I have a hard time landing the Avata. I'd be lucky if I could place it within a picnic table sized spot. I NEVER tried RTH with the Avata! I've gotta try that!!! Thanks!!
Don't you have the MC2 (instead of the MC1)? You hover over your target in Sport model and press the joy stick on the MC2 downward and it lands just like the Mini. Also I don't think many people realize when your drone is in landing mode, you can nudge it forward or backward or sideways with the controls. I can land my FPV on a plate.

Don't you have the MC2 (instead of the MC1)? You hover over your target in Sport model and press the joy stick on the MC2 downward and it lands just like the Mini. Also I don't think many people realize when your drone is in landing mode, you can nudge it forward or backward or sideways with the controls. I can land my FPV on a plate.
Thanks for all those tips! I try them all tomorrow!!

😁😁 BAH!!! 😁😁 "Precision" Landing the FPV with the MC1:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas