DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When taking videos, I am getting really bad fps/choppiness....Everytime i fly.

Soul234

Reactions
Can someone help? I am not sure what is causing this....however when i turn it off the 4 light blinks a lot before turning off

however when i turn it off the 4 light blinks a lot before turning off
I think they all do that - mine certainly does - I don't think it is an error state, and almost certainly not connected with video issues.

Can someone help? I am not sure what is causing this....
We'll be needing a bit more info than that. Choppy video how ? In what you see on the screen (and what are you using for screen btw; mobile or RC2 or something else ?) or in the actual recorded footage from the craft ? And is the footage smooth on whatever when it is not recording, or all the time ?

Secondly, has this been the case ever since your first flight, or did it start recently; if so - has there been any sort of crash or knock to the craft ?

Next, what are your signal bars doing all this time ? Trying to find out if this could be an interference or range thing.

The more detail you can give us, the more able to help we are...

I think they all do that - mine certainly does - I don't think it is an error state, and almost certainly not connected with video issues.

We'll be needing a bit more info than that. Choppy video how ? In what you see on the screen (and what are you using for screen btw; mobile or RC2 or something else ?) or in the actual recorded footage from the craft ? And is the footage smooth on whatever when it is not recording, or all the time ?

Secondly, has this been the case ever since your first flight, or did it start recently; if so - has there been any sort of crash or knock to the craft ?

Next, what are your signal bars doing all this time ? Trying to find out if this could be an interference or range thing.

The more detail you can give us, the more able to help we are...
recorded footage and when its not recording or recording its smooth on the controller side of things

This has been the case most of the time i believe and no it has not been in any crashes

Its signal and range was good the whole time too

What are you watching the video on when you say it is choppy?

What video format: h.264 or h.265?

recorded footage and when its not recording or recording its smooth on the controller side of things
And in addition to SkyHigh's Q above, what SD card are you using, and are you sure its data transfer speed / class is high enough to cope with the vast data rates that machine produces ?

Last edited:
Righty - bloody hell, that's MASSIVE ! But although it is specc'd fine for H.265 speed-wise, it is double what DJI say that machine supports. I wonder if that is the issue ? Have you got a smaller one you can try ?! (TWSS)
I don't have a smaller one i don't think honestly

I would have to buy another one and i don't think i would want that

would changing it to H.264 change anything ?

would changing it H.264 change anything ?
'I don't know' is the honest answer to that, but it is the sort of thing you could very easily just try, right ?! H.265 is more computationally intense to encode, but produces smaller, more efficient files. H.264 by contrast isn't very efficient space-wise, but does have less encode overhead. But I don't think this matters - I spent the first 2 days with my M4P recording 265 D-Log, and I wasn't having any jerkiness at all, either playing back, or live at the time, so we know it should be able to do it. I only had a lowly 128 GB card however...

Perhaps if we could see exactly what sort of jerkiness you mean that would help us work out what else could be going wrong ? Could you record the RC2 when it's doing it, and post a short section of that so we can wonder with you more fully ? :)

Last edited:

That could be your issue. Unless you have a relatively recent PC or MAC it is very likely to struggle on playback. h.265 requires significant CPU processing or specific hardware designed to work with the h.265 format. By comparison h.264 video can be played smoothly on just about any device including my old MacBook Pro that has just turned 13-years old.

It’s easy to change video codec in you drone’s settings.

Reactions: AeroJ
That could be your issue. Unless you have a relatively recent PC or MAC it is very likely to struggle on playback. h.265 requires significant CPU processing or specific hardware designed to work with the h.265 format.
But he's getting the jerking live whilst he's recording it - that's weird isn't it ? Have we asked OP what res and FPS he's trying to capture yet, btw ?

But he's getting the jerking live whilst he's recording it - that's weird isn't it ? Have we asked OP what res and FPS he's trying to capture yet, btw ?
4k (or whatever the highest is) and the highest fps allowable for that res

Looks like everything is working fine.....the mistake had to do with running my sd card drive on my phone and also having it on 65 instead of 64...everything is good now if i have any questions ill let u know

Reactions: AeroJ
That could be your issue. Unless you have a relatively recent PC or MAC it is very likely to struggle on playback. h.265 requires significant CPU processing or specific hardware designed to work with the h.265 format. By comparison h.264 video can be played smoothly on just about any device including my old MacBook Pro that has just turned 13-years old.

It’s easy to change video codec in you drone’s settings.
is 64 lower quality than 65? Whats the difference between the two?

Both me and SkyeHigh have mentioned what the main differences are further up in the thread. Speaking strictly about quality though, technically H.265 preserves fractionally more detail. It is fairly marginal though I'd say, though noticeable if you look at this sorta stuff a lot. 264 remains for its universal compatibility, and because it did so well for so long ! BUT, and it's a big but, we can't record 10-bit footage in H.264, so that rules out the 2 most cinematically useful modes - D-LOG and the other HDR one, whose name temporarily escapes me...

There are lots of videos in YT comparing 265/264, some of which give you the 3 minute version for humans, and others of which spend over an hour drilling down into the how's and why's. Those are good to fall asleep to ;)

Last edited:

h.265 is a more recent codec designed to handle higher resolution video than h.264 was developed for. It also compresses files far more aggressively than h.264 resulting in significantly smaller file sizes BUT with little noticeable loss of quality of the original.

Given the choice, and assuming you had suitable playback devices, I would opt for h.265.

Both me and SkyeHigh have mentioned what the main differences are further up in the thread. Speaking strictly about quality though, technically H.265 preserves fractionally more detail. It is fairly marginal though I'd say, though noticeable if you look at this sorta stuff a lot. 264 remains for its universal compatibility, and because it did so well for so long ! BUT, and it's a big but, we can't record 10-bit footage in H.264, so that rules out the 2 most cinematically useful modes - D-LOG and the other HDR one, whose name temporarily escapes me...

There are lots of videos in YT comparing 265/264, some of which give you the 3 minute version for humans, and others of which spend over an hour drilling down into the how's and why's. Those are good to fall asleep to ;)
is there anyway to use DLOG and HLG ever again? I feel like i spend a lot of money on a drone and now when i try using 65 it doesn't even working ruling out two useful options...

is there anything that can be done...do other people have this issue too?

is there anyway to use DLOG and HLG ever again? I feel like i spend a lot of money on a drone and now when i try using 65 it doesn't even working ruling out two useful options...

is there anything that can be done...do other people have this issue too?
The only time I’ve seen ‘choppy’ video raised as an issue has been a result of the playback device being unable to cope with the h.265 encoded media and on rare occasions a poor quality or cheap SD card too slow to record the video.

If your video plays back without issue on your controller, a modern PC or Mac or even an iPad with an M-series CPU then the recorded video is fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roland Brian