DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are the DJI app settings stored, on the app or on the RC, or in a cloud somewhere?

Gooseman

Reactions
Just want to confirm this, in case it has disastrous consequences:, The RC holds the app settings, right? So if -during general ops- I was to unplug my iPad from the RC and attach my iPhone, any settings changed (gimbal pitch sensitivity, video format, RTH elevation etc etc) within the app on the iPad would be shunted by the RC to the iPhone. It's not cloud based or anything daft like that is it?

I don't know what you are flying, but the MP settings are both stored in the app and on the AC. They are uploaded to the AC so it can function (RTH, Waypoint mission, etc.) if the connection to the RC is lost. Nothing is stored in the cloud since an internet connection is not needed to fly.

Thanks for responding.
I fly an M2P.
The cloud thing was a bit tongue in cheek.

it makes sense that the there would have to be at least some critical settings transferred to the AC, but if there's a connection loss, I can't see the drone caring much about what ISO I set in the app.
I did have a play (Yes, I know I should have done this first, but the Q still stands). I changed the RTH altitude from 30 to 25 when I knew it was 30 on the other, and it did copy it across.
But that doesn't mean that every setting will be. I'd hate to swap over (the iPad battery can get very low after a few batteries) and carry on with the shoot only to find some 'creative' settings, or sensitivity settings had changed.

Aircraft settings are stored in AC, camera settings are stored in camera, RC setings are stored in RC, app settings are stored on device.

Every device needs to be able to operate on its own so retains its own settings.

You still want to check all important settings before every single flight regardless as good practice.

Reactions: Gooseman
Thanks Kilrah, and yes of course the fundamentals are part of pre flight, but I'd hate to have the client breathing down my neck while I go through myriad settings to make sure they are the same as I had them last time, or on he other app.

... I'd hate to swap over (the iPad battery can get very low after a few batteries) and carry on with the shoot only to find some 'creative' settings, or sensitivity settings had changed.
The camera settings are stored on the AC and if both iPads have the same settings then nothing will change. But you do pose an interesting question; if the AC is powered on, you switch iPads with one that has different camera settings than the first, does the AC update the iPad (GO 4) or the iPad update the AC?

If he isn't braindead he'll understand that's actually professionalism, drop a line about it if needed.

The camera settings are stored on the AC and if both iPads have the same settings then nothing will change. But you do pose an interesting question; if the AC is powered on, you switch iPads with one that has different camera settings than the first, does the AC update the iPad (GO 4) or the iPad update the AC?
Hang on, this can be tested...

Yep. one app had my regular setting MF, 400ISO f2.8. Swapped over to the other app/monitor and set it to AF, 100ISO, 5.6 and it copied across when I plugged the first back in.
So it seems we have an answer.
If it will copy non-critical settings, then it should copy critical ones too. I'll keep checking and report back if there are any anomalies *detected*. Meaning: if I don't respond back it DOES NOT mean it's a safe practice! Just sayin'.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livewire