DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can I fly in Asia without stupid, restrictive laws?

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Thailand has recently brought in the most ridiculous rules, regulations and laws making it almost impossible for a tourist to fly even a Tello.

I fly out for Phuket tonight, and not being able to fly free of any recriminations is the reason this may be my last trip to Thailand for quite some time. Awful shame I love the place, Thailand.
So, for my next jaunt abroad I am looking at other far East Asian places to go where I can fly, within the sensible law, and with ease.
Does anyone know of an Asian country that has reasonable laws?
I was thinking of Vietnam or Cambodia.
I am going to start some research but a little help would be appreciated.

It's odd that I can fly in so many places within a few minutes’ drive of my house where it is completely legal and acceptable to fly without any worry at all.

Try Indonesia, my homeland, many beautiful places, good and cheap accomodations, delicious food, friendly people. Skip the busy Jakarta and go directly to all other places.

ooooohh nice idea [B]Awi[/B] and close to where I am. Nice, but what are the laws like and any place in particular for flying? Indonesia has just shot up to Numero Uno in my book.

Apart from Bali, been there and would probably not go again. Too many tourists :)
This was taken with a Mavic Pro in the day.

Well it depends on what you're looking for. By looking at your footage, it looks like you like more nature and a bit cultural things. I could suggest Yogyakarta for the beginning. Is has both cultural heritage and very nice rural areas with many nature sights (caves and hills around Wonosari and the southern beaches, and don't forget mount Merapi). A little bit more tourists in the city but the rural areas are still quite unexplored (but avoid going on sundays and national holidays). From Yogyakarta you can visit Dieng plateu (and Borobudur if you like, but it's very touristy), take the small hikes to the many easy to reach peaks (bring warm clothes, it's quite cold in the morning).

If you like virgin beaches, the easiest to reach is Karimun Jawa, accessible from Semarang or Jepara by boat. For stunning crater, number one is I think mount Bromo in East Java.

Regarding the laws, in and around airports are surely prohibited, in other areas you cannot fly above 150m by law. And if you're doing it for commercial filming/cartography, a license and permit is required. But to be honest, currently it's still quite flexible here as long as you fly responsibly and not disturbing others. Just make sure to ask for permission if you fly in commercial places just to make sure they understand what you're doing.

Reactions: John Gowland
Yes Thailand has become a nightmare to fly a drone. You really have to spend time to find a good location and sneak around, not everyone feels they can do this.
Phillippines and Cambodia are also good places to fly with no issues. Just stay away from the big lan marks.

There is a great website that lists details and laws per country. Do you know about it? Might be a good place to start.

I have about 10 places marked on my Google map around Phuket good place to fly but I'm still in and out don't stay long even though there's no one around. I don't know the website you refer to but would be very happy to see it.

Thanks Sir,
I have come across Richard Barrow, and have been discussing this issue on his board for a while.The conclusion is that the Thai government have deliberately made it impossible for tourists to fly drones legally in Thailand.
I suspect more and more countries, especially third world countries will go down this path.
Yes in the near future you will have a very long list of countries in the world where to fly a drone legally is just about impossible and very risky. lt already is, in a long list, of countries.
So some will just not do it. Some silly people will risk all and take no notice and get into big trouble giving fuel to governments to scare the rest not to fly.
Many uav pilots will take very calculated risks and for the love of flying.
You only have varrients of three choices. Choose your poison.
I love Thailand but because of the recent changes in the drone laws, basically the threat of imprisonment if you fly as a tourist, it has become a love/hate relationship. Some of the scenery is unbelievable but the risk has become frightening.
Our skies are changing, the world over. What choices are you going to make.

Attachments

• Thai farm land.JPG
    Thai farm land.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 7
Hey @John Gowland your question is exactly what I asked myself a little while ago. To answer it, I just completed a milestone in my research and completed a full map of drone use in South East Asia based on your flight purposes

Here's the map for recreational use
recreational.png

& for commercial use
Commercial.png
As for the legend
Green = go ahead by using common sense and respect always privacy
Yellow = you will need some kind of authorisation
Red = I wouldn't get into it

This took me ages and I would welcome anyone's feedback to help keep it up to date.
You can find the descriptions and real time maps here

Hope this helps!

Why would you go to Thailand anyway? That's weird, there's so many other great spots and you choose Thailand for some reason...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc