DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can I fly my drone

Check the B4UFLY app.

Does anybody know where can I fly my drone in Philadelphia Mavic 2 pro
Hi,

As mentioned, the B4UFly app should tell you but I don't like it. I use AirMap and it is generally very good. Of course the ultimate best resource around any major airport would be the FAA VFR Sectional Maps.

Having said that, I fly in the Philly area all the time. Philadelphia is big so I don't know exactly where you are looking to fly. If near Center City, you can fly on the waterfront and get some great scenery. The Race Street Pier and Penn's Landing are great spots. Also, right behind the art museum is a great spot on the other side of Center City.

If you ever want to head out on a nice day, let me know.

If you are new to drones, I also give lessons :)

I understand Penn Treaty Park is a good place. Right on the river north of the BFB.

The new geofence 2.0 from DJI is going to turn your Drone to a brick. Luckely i dident uppgrade, becuse now my hole city is a no fly zone.

I understand Penn Treaty Park is a good place. Right on the river north of the BFB.
I have never flown from there. I will need to check it out.

The new geofence 2.0 from DJI is going to turn your Drone to a brick. Luckely i dident uppgrade, becuse now my hole city is a no fly zone.

That is so totally false. Our drones are not and will not be bricks. The GeoFence capabilities ensure that people do not get themselves in trouble, do not have unwarranted incursions with the NAS, and don't hurt others. Would it be better if we could all just take care ourselves to not fly where we are not supposed to? SURE it would. However drones are becoming a commodity item that almost anyone can now own and fly. Many of those people don't have a clue and would ruin it for all of us.

I have no issues flying when and where I want/need. I check the airspace, NFZ, NOTAMs, and the actual sectional charts. I never have an issue with the GeoFence. I have had to fly in NFZ areas and was able to get both LAANC clearance and DJI NZF unlock with no problem. It just takes a little planning and foresight.

Would anyone consider driving a car without following guidelines, speed restrictions or the laws of dynamics?

I find it odd that folks ‘push back’ against safety guideline and support.... surely it can’t be a free-for-all?

I ran into an interesting situation yesterday at the Race Street Pier.

I was giving a lesson to a new pilot with a Mavic Air. Nice to have another responsible pilot among us!

We flew through two batteries and just as we were ready to wrap up, a young guy with a bright yellow vest approached us. The vest said "DRWC" on it. He came up to us and said that flying drones was prohibited on the pier. I had no idea who or what DRWC was, but I nicely said thank you and that we would wrap it up.

DRWC is the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation. It is a non-profit that manages projects and public lands along the waterfront. I checked out their website and it says nothing about any such regulation. Since the pier and the other properties it manages are all public (city) lands, I don't see how they could prohibit drone flights. The area is completely clear as far as the FAA is concerned (other than TFRs during local sporting events). The City of Philadelphia has no ordinance about using drones on public property, other than to follow FAA regulations, as shown HERE. The city even has another more recent web posting HERE

Also note that there were no people in our takeoff and landing area and our flight was almost exclusively over the river, VLOS at all times, 10 miles visibility, never exceeded 300 feet altitude, and the pilot had a VO at all times (me) as an extra precaution. In other words, we were completely legal.

The pier is a wonderful spot for flying and it just bugs me that people/entities make up these arbitrary rules without any merit or basis in law. The best thing in this case was just to pack up and go home. In a future instance if I get approached by another yellow-vest guy, I may inquire further as to what he believes the laws are in reference to drone flights. The pier is not private property. If it were then the owner could certainly restrict usage. This is public property.

Oh here is a picture of the scenery right there. It was taken on a different day with my Spark. Kind of gray due to completely overcast skies, but still nice scenery.

DJI_0021.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S