DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to fly

Peter S

Reactions
Hi all,
Being new to the drone scene I am now quite bewildered as to where you can fly, other than over boring fields.
I purchased 2 drones so I could extend my photographic interests. I have read all the rules where you are not allowed to fly which doesn't leave much scope anyway. I have contacted both the national trust and heritage England and they have a blanket ban. I have contacted several churches and been told no way! and not even politely. I am really interested in architecture and history but it seems that the only way I can take pictures is from the ground.
Any help please. And yes I do have BMFA insurance

As you have the BMFA insurance then I'm assuming you are in the UK...

there are some basic rules about how close you can fly to something/some one. It's the 150/50/30 rule and can be found quite easily. But article 166 and 167 of CAP 658 is where you need to head. There is also this fundamental rule:
"A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property." Which is very, very, wide open to interpretation.

here's a link to a document you might find very useful.
CAP 658: Model Aircraft: A Guide to Safe Flying

Everything of course is underpinned by your judgement of whether or not you can make the flight safely, this means the drone has always to be in VLOS, be under 400ft and no further than 500mtrs (visibility dependent). So most of the youtube videos you'll see of someone's drone cruising across congested areas is probably not legal.

All this stuff might seem onerous but it's just common sense really. I am trying for my PfCO, so I know just how much knowledge you need to get to grips with, and retain, and how much safety is a key element in all your flight ops.

As for permission from property owners, as long as you are outside the 150/50/30, and can argue the safety of your flight (so no flying directly overhead of anything/one that you could cause injury or damage to in the case of catastrophic failure) then I am thinking they have no rights to complain as they might own the property, and the ground it lies upon, but they don't own the airspace above. I'd love to hear of someone's view on the legality of such flights that might incur the wrath of the owner. If that ever happens, just hope you can remember the CAA rules and can quote them verbatim. And, likely as not, if the police are called in, they aren't going to know about the CAA reg's so you'll have to explain it all to them (gently!).

Last edited:
Thanks Gooseman
I would also like to know other people's views as well.
If someone gives their consent are you allowed to film them and their property without regard to the published distances.

Reactions: Gooseman
Thanks Gooseman
I would also like to know other people's views as well.
If someone gives their consent are you allowed to film them and their property without regard to the published distances.
I'd like to know this too. It's a very tricky balancing act between acting within the reg's (50mtrs over here) and the ethics of privacy invasion and nuisance (drone buzzing overhead is without doubt an impact on the enjoyment of home).
As for permissions, then I guess at that point they then become under your control, which means they can be dealt with. I am not sure about distances. I'll have to check the reg's over here, but I guess it boils down to 'not allow the aircraft to be flown recklessly or to put at risk any person or property'. Very grey. I"ll have a look at the specifics and maybe ask my PfCO tutor about this.

I feel your pain. At first when I purchased my UAV, I thought I could really expand my video and photography... until I read the rules and regs of droning in Canada. Ah am going to take mine to a nice Federal Park and take videos of old forts... Nope, I can't because flying in a federal park is not permitted, ditto for my provincial parks (Quebec). I just fly around the rules and here anyways, I often get stuck flying over lakes, rivers, and barren landscapes. At least I get some flying time out of it.

I must admit though that flying in Canada appears to be less restrictive than in other countries so I don't really complain..... much.

I did find this website though, which shows locations where do use your UAV in Europe. There are some locations in the UK but mostly in France and Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Switzerland. It's in French but will be very useful to me when I go and visit France. Cheers.

Drone-Spot - Recherchez facilement, sur la carte, un spot où faire voler votre drone en France

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun