DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whew... I got buzzed by a falcon yesterday.

Marko9219

Reactions
I was straight overhead, holding in a hover at about 300 ft. when all of a sudden, a falcon of some species buzzed by the drone, passing within probably 12 inches of it at very high speed. I only saw him literally as he passed the drone. He climbed, turned and buzzed it again. No contact was made thankfully. He landed in the top of a nearby cottonwood tree. It was all over in 5 seconds. I couldn't get out of the air fast enough! It's a bit unnerving to know we can be doing everything right and still lose a drone to an unseen raptor at any moment. It's pretty much like lightning striking!

Reactions: fiftiesnut
I was straight overhead, holding in a hover at about 300 ft. when all of a sudden, a falcon of some species buzzed by the drone, passing within probably 12 inches of it at very high speed. I only saw him literally as he passed the drone. He climbed, turned and buzzed it again. No contact was made thankfully. He landed in the top of a nearby cottonwood tree. It was all over in 5 seconds. I couldn't get out of the air fast enough! It's a bit unnerving to know we can be doing everything right and still lose a drone to an unseen raptor at any moment. It's pretty much like lightning striking!

When this happens it's worth noting that the fastest escape is straight up. Birds of prey are faster than our drones horizontally and descending, but can't climb nearly as fast.

Reactions: dmovalli and jcross
zReAi
Kestrel, male, Feb. 06, 2007
When this happens it's worth noting that the fastest escape is straight up. Birds of prey are faster than our drones horizontally and descending, but can't climb nearly as fast.
Are you sure about that? Are you sure that isn't folklore like the old saying "run downhill from a bear... They can't run fast downhill"?
Because when he passed the drone, climbing for the second pass, that little guy was moving like greased lightning! There's no doubt they can't climb as fast as they dive, with gravity and aerodynamics helping them. But, I'm going to assume they are more powerful climbers than our Mavics. I've watched them carry prey that is close to their own weight to the top of a tree! Like this image of a Kestrel I took. Imagine the weight of that vole compared to the featherweight of the bird.(image link at the top)

Last edited:
Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
Yeah, juking up is a great way to dodge them, left and right will probably work too. Our powers of lateral and vertical movement far surpasses that of birds!

Are you sure about that? Are you sure that isn't folklore like the old saying "run downhill from a bear... They can't run fast downhill"?
Because when he passed the drone, climbing for the second pass, that little guy was moving like greased lightning!

always fly up.

Reactions: jcross
Yeah, juking up is a great way to dodge them, left and right will probably work too. Our powers of lateral and vertical movement far surpasses that of birds!
"Lateral" .... depends on which way the bird is facing.

Because when he passed the drone, climbing for the second pass, that little guy was moving like greased lightning!
With some momentum they can climb fast for short periods, but nowhere near as fast as your Mavic. And they need to be traveling laterally to climb effectively. Your Mavic goes straight up.

You can outrun most birds in sport mode too, birds of prey and eagles may be able to catch it though

That all might work If (and ONLY if) you happen to see them coming first. My very first inclination he was after my drone, was as he passed by. Had he wanted to make contact, I wouldn't have been able to blink first, let alone try to outfly him.

That all might work If (and ONLY if) you happen to see them coming first. My very first inclination he was after my drone, was as he passed by. Had he wanted to make contact, I wouldn't have been able to blink first, let alone try to outfly him.
Yup..I remember my first eagle encounter -- it never occurred to me that it would be defending it's territory. Nowadays, as soon as I spot any birds of any size I just GTFO as quick as possible.

There are a lot of falcons around me --- I live near a wooded area along a river --- but none of them have attacked the Mavic yet. But I keep an eye out for them.

But when I went to my tiny hometown in September, chimney swifts were a real problem. They're fast, super maneuverable and travel in flocks. And they DID NOT like the Mavic.

Reactions: jcross
There are a lot of falcons around me --- I live near a wooded area along a river --- but none of them have attacked the Mavic yet. But I keep an eye out for them.

But when I went to my tiny hometown in September, chimney swifts were a real problem. They're fast, super maneuverable and travel in flocks. And they DID NOT like the Mavic.
Yeah, I have a Red-Tail Hawk 100' off my balcony... but I live in a NFZ zone anyways, so no matter.

Yea, I get peregrine and prairie falcons mostly; they are small, hard to see and wicked fast.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
We have a few falcons here and there that like to look at the mavic, we generally give them a wide berth. I have seen eagles flying really high up, but never while I was flying the drone. A friend spotting for you is a good way to see them before your drone and the birds get to close.

The birds that make me nervous are the vultures. They could care less about attacking the mavic, but they DO circle around it and take a long curious look at it.

I was flying at the playground of our local school when a few dozen bats came out of the chimney. 4-5 thought it was a good idea to swarm my drone and one went about a foot in front of the camera. makes a nice freeze frame in the video... then I promptly fly higher and away toward the football field.

I was flying at the playground of our local school when a few dozen bats came out of the chimney. 4-5 thought it was a good idea to swarm my drone and one went about a foot in front of the camera. makes a nice freeze frame in the video... then I promptly fly higher and away toward the football field.

Pic or it didn’t happen !! :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom