DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

which direction is the RADAR map point pointing towards?

DEFINITION OF TERMS:

PLEASE SEE #69 response for an update on RADAR!

it appears that readers of this thread have a hard time understanding MAP and RADAR and this has lead to a lot of comments that did not apply to my descriptions of the problems I am having with the red arrow pointer on the navigations screen. So I have taken still pictures of the three modes that have been discussed.

MAP mode that is LOCKED:
Note the lock in the upper left corner of MAP area and the lock is closed. There is also a compass arrow behind it but it is hard to visualize while flying.Mao_lock.jpg

Last edited:
This is the second MAP mode in the navigation screen.

MAP mode UNLOCKED:
note that the lock is now gone from upper left region and that compass is more visible.

Map_unlock.jpg

MAP mode UNLOCKED:
As explained earlier, it would help if you used the usual terms rather than your own.
The map is not locked.
You are viewing it as either North up (what you think is locked) or Track Up.

Still waiting for a screenshot demonstrating what your problem is.
I've given up trying to make sense of your essays.

Reactions: old man mavic

MAP mode UNLOCKED:
note that the lock is now gone from upper left region and that compass is more visible.

View attachment 61939
so what is it you want to know if you turn the mav the red arrow should turn as well

As explained earlier, it would help if you used the usual terms rather than your own.
The map is not locked.
You are viewing it as either North up (what you think is locked) or Track Up.

Still waiting for a screenshot demonstrating what your problem is.
I've given up trying to make sense of your essays.
thanks Meta4 i am confused as well it is only the compass that is locked or unlocked nothing to do with the map itself

The last mode for red arrows to appear within navigation display is what I call the BLIMP RADAR mode. I use the term blimp because there are many radar display screens used in the military to show direction of craft. The blimp term was introduced during the dirigible era when radar was first put into aircraft (prototypes were used even before WWII). The reason that the military and myself called it BLIMP radar is that it was meant to show the airspace UNDER a flying ship. All previous radar attempts were either vertical (like on the mast of a ship) or "sky above" for the ground installations. So the BLIMP is there to indicate it is from air pointing down to the ground below. It has a central "emination point", and blimps on the screen were reflective objects that were detected. So the display is circular and the radial distance represents the time delay from pulse to response. The is not a MAP display, it is not rectangular (except for SAR radar) and is only meant to show distances to a given object (which is the drone in our case).

In the image below, the red arrow is at the center because the distance from RC to AC is almost zero for the purposes of navigation display.

BLIMP RADAP dislay:
RADAR_blimp.jpg

Last edited:
please hold off on comments until I show the images of the problem which are coming next.

Here is the setup I used to take the images of RC cell phone display and the drone.
First I show the setup of my RC and drone:

In call cases I will have the drone "forward" of the RC and will show its orientation via the
MAP screens:

In My configuration on ground.jpgAttach files

MAP locked and drown pointing forward just as in the previous image. I have moved the drone very very close to the RC so you can verify its orientation. I should point out that in all images I will show that the "forward" direction is due WEST and while the MAP is locked, it puts the direction of the image at the top of the screen as WEST, not NORTH as some have speculated.

You can see the tail light of the drone. It is pointing FORWARD to the WEST magnetic compass direction. Note that the red arrow on cell phone MAP is pointing to the RIGHT and now straighnt ahead was we would want it to be.

locked_point_left.jpg

now rotate drone by 90 degrees counter clockwise. Note that the red arrow also changes by 90 deg ccw but now points in the "behind" direction. The orange protection camera shroud can help you remember what is the "forward" direction of the drone.

locked_point_down.jpg

The last mode for red arrows to appear within navigation display is what I call the BLIMP RADAR mode.
I'm not sure what all that stuff about blimps has to do with anything.
The red arrow is a red paper plane icon.
The green in front of it is showing that the camera is on.

As for your shots of a controller and drone ... they are on reinforced concrete which is full of steel.

Try repeating somewhere away from extraneous magnetic fields and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
do a second 90 deg rotation ccw. Now the drone points straight at the RC unit, but the arrow continues to be off by 90 deg ccw.

locked_point_behind.jpg

can you not read instructions? no comments until all the images are posted.

now to do the last 90 deg ccw rotation. Now the drone points to the RIGHT side of the RC. And the red arrow points forward. Remember that all the directions for the RC is that it points due WEST. So all of my drone changes in rotation are reflected on the MAP locked as changes of orientation. If I walk in a circle around the drone (which I have not shown here) the top of the map stays constant with the underlying streets and rivers staying on constant location on the map (ie. they do not rotate).
locked_point_right.jpg

Here is another image showing the drone in the air a few feet ahead of the RC and pointing due WEST along with the RC. So in the air we have the same problem of the red arrow not showing the direction of the drone nose.

Locked_pointing_left_in_air.jpg

i might have got what you are saying now if you look at the image for what you call the blimp which is the radar display at the top of the circle is a small n that is north if you look at the red arrow in relation to the n it looks to be pointing west which is correct

now with the same WEST pointing orientation of drone and RC, I show the BLIMP RADAR view. This was just seconds after the image shown above. I could not position the camera quick enough to capture the drone off the ground, but please believe that it was flying and pointing directly away from the RC unit. This is where having a second person to do real-time video would make all of this some much more intuitive.

In this case we have the red arrow pointing towards the RC unit. Under most test circumstances I have the BLIMP RADAR arrow pointing correctly ahead. Sometimes I have variations of the BLIMP-RADAR as I have just a foot or two to the right or left.

But in summary the BLIMP-RADAR does point reasonably correct. I does "dance around" when I change the direction stick and then returns to normal orientation when I release the direction stick.

This is the end of my image sequence. I may add another later with the MAP UNLOCKED images if people need to see them.
tjcooper

RADAR_point_forward_in_air.jpg

I did not mention in the image summary, but true magnetic north for all my images was 90 deg to the RIGHT.
I had done a 3D compass calibration a few hours before I made these images just before the Super Bowl.

definition of BLIMP RADAR is to get a name on a display which has been very badly confused to the MAP LOCKED and the MAP UNLOCKED discusstion that have permeated this discussion. It is actually used in radar towers.....but generally by the older operators. LOL. There is no definition in any of the Mavic Pro manuals or the Goggle manuals about what the red and white arrows are called in the displays.

tjcooper

old man mavic,
thanks for the observation of the circle N on the BLIMP RADAR. I have never used the BLIMP RADAR when flying and so was not aware of its presence. This marking of NORTH is with respect to the RC or the cell phone attached to it? My question is in concern if I have a long cable on the cell (or tablet) and it maybe in Portrait or Landscape orienation. Is this circle N icon present in any of the other Mavic navigation displays?
tjcooper

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka