DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which DJI . . .

FlyingHevy

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to pick your collective minds. I am in the midst of searching, researching, and searching some more. I'd love to get advice from folks who have the different drones. I see pluses and minuses to all of the choices, and I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go. So far I have only had non-DJI, low-cost toys, but I've flown quite a bit over about the last five years.

My use case:

1. Not yet Part 107 licensed, but expect to be relatively soon (within a month or so, if my schedule permits);
2. I have been a hobbyist but expect some light commercial work to come my way once I am licensed; no "heavy lifting" in that regard, though (so, think maybe some real estate and some institutional video);
3. I want to be able to travel with it; I make an annual trip to Germany, and I want to be able to bring it with me (I am aware of the German rules, requirement for insurance, labeling, etc., so this point is just about bringing it along);
4. Photography and video are my primary concerns, but I want to be able to fly in more weather conditions rather than fewer weather conditions (a little wind stops me with my cheap-o drone right now, and I'd like a few more options in that regard); and,
5. I want to be able to get out and fly for longer times, not shorter ones; getting everything ready and going out for a quick flight probably isn't in the works (especially as my house is w/in an airport zone that isn't in the LAANC system and may not be for a long time, making quick, step outside the door and fly scenario not very likely). I want something that when I get a block of time, I can spend some time doing it.

Here's what I've been considering; I'm not going to go into all my thinking on these so far, though I have many thoughts (that change daily). I would especially appreciate hearing from folks who have one of the below, or even better, two or more of them:
  • Mavic Mini (Fly More Combo, $499)
  • Mavic Air (Fly More Combo, DJI refurb, $919 at dynnex and dronenerds)
  • Mavic Pro (Fly More Combo, $849 | Open box, $819)
  • Mavic Pro Platinum (Fly More Combo, Open box, $1084; new at BB $1,129)
  • Mavic Pro Platinum (DJI refurb, $839)
  • Inspire 1 v2.0 (DJI refurb, $899 at DroneNerds; how can I not consider this?)
  • I'd love an M2P or M2Z, but I think they're out of my price range for now (at least I haven't seen any in my price range)
Any and all thoughts and experiences gratefully received!

Rob

I went thru a similar selection list with some other brands included. Ended up with a used MPP with flymore and have added more batteries and 'stuff' in the short time I've had it. Be patient and watch the classifieds here. You can usually get a better sense about the seller than eBay

Seems you already eliminated the MM with ...a little wind stops me

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingHevy
welcome to the forum
if you can afford it a new MPP flymore combo is the one to have ,or you might get a used deal on an M2P or MPZ good luck

Last edited:
Looking at what you’ve presented, and your price point, I’d definitely recommend one of the Mavic flymore combos.
For what you are doing I’d steer clear of the inspire. No where near as portable and unless you fork out for the better camera and extra batteries etc, not a big improvement over what the Mavic can do. My inspire hasn’t been in the air in months and the inspire 2 on,y comes out for special missions

From the list you’ve given, the Mavic Pro Platinum.
The Inspire isn’t practical for your needs. Shipping that thing to Germany would need a crate. The Mavics all fit easily in hand luggage.

Inspire 1 v2.0 (DJI refurb, $899 at DroneNerds; how can I not consider this?)
How? Here are a few suggestions
You could look at the huge size of the case you need for an Inspire.
Then look at the flight time it gives.
What camera?
The cheaper original X3 isn't a very good camera.
The cost of a better X5 camera and lens would take a chunk of your budget.

You should consider portability. My hangar has a Mavic Air and Phantom 4adv. The P4 takes much better pictures and video, but the MA gets used more frequently, as it is easier to pack for traveling, and quicker to set up and tear down for unplanned flights when good conditions reveal themselves.

Thanks, everyone, it's good to see folks with experience generally confirming my inclination (toward the Pro Platinum over the Air). I'm still torn between the MPP and the MP given the nearly $300 difference in price. I also assume if I find a good buy on either the M2P or the M2Z that either would beat the MPP? There was an M2Z in the classifieds here recently and I'm thinking of throwing that into the mix if it's still available (not "fly more," though, for what it's worth).

Once I settled on DJI I didn't think the choice would be this hard! Thanks again, everyone, for talking me through it!

Reactions: old man mavic
If came to a flymore MP or a M2P/Z with just the one battery, and your budget didnt allow to purchase some more batteries, Id go with the flymore kit. For a new player, the original mavic is a superb introduction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair