DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which drone to get?

timothy

Reactions
Hello,

I would like to start flying drones for both fun and possibly some side jobs like real estate, local business marketing, insurance missions or possibly starting a YouTube channel. I already formed a LLC, passed the 107 test, purchased a domain name, etc all this month. I am torn between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavic 2 Pro or waiting for the Mavic 3 Pro that "might" come out in September. Right now I have a 10% off coupon from Best Buy that I can use on the MA2 or the MP2 but it expires today.

I am leaning towards the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo, as it has the newest tech in it and I've read that some people use it for commercial purposes. It's also not as expensive as the MP2 so I could see if I like flying drones before spending double for the Pro. But on the other hand I am concerned that if I get the MA2 the quality of the images might be an issue (Even though they say 48 MP it's not a true 48 MP camera) and the quality of the video even though it's 4k 60fps might have grainy spots due to the smaller sensor and that I would need a better drone to do any commercial work (It's also my understanding for sites like DroneBase they don't let you use the MA2 for missions) .

Looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Tim

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

I have never used DroneBase but have heard mixed opinions about it. You may want to read

Is It Worth Getting Drone Jobs through Websites like Drone Base?

It's an article on Drone U web

Go with the Mavic Air 2 now ( Cheaper) and see what happens with the next new Mavic drone ( Mavic 3) down the road. Mavic Air 2 is much easier to get around with and it has fantastic range. Very good drone. I also have the Mavic 2 Pro and to me it seems bulky. It’s not really but I like the Mavic Air 2.

Hello,

I would like to start flying drones for both fun and possibly some side jobs like real estate, local business marketing, insurance missions or possibly starting a YouTube channel. I already formed a LLC, passed the 107 test, purchased a domain name, etc all this month. I am torn between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavic 2 Pro or waiting for the Mavic 3 Pro that "might" come out in September. Right now I have a 10% off coupon from Best Buy that I can use on the MA2 or the MP2 but it expires today.

I am leaning towards the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo, as it has the newest tech in it and I've read that some people use it for commercial purposes. It's also not as expensive as the MP2 so I could see if I like flying drones before spending double for the Pro. But on the other hand I am concerned that if I get the MA2 the quality of the images might be an issue (Even though they say 48 MP it's not a true 48 MP camera) and the quality of the video even though it's 4k 60fps might have grainy spots due to the smaller sensor and that I would need a better drone to do any commercial work (It's also my understanding for sites like DroneBase they don't let you use the MA2 for missions) .

Looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Tim

Welcome - I too am new here. If I had it to do again, I would have got the "Fly More" option with my Mavic Zoom.
Chose the Zoom over Pro because of the camera. Don't need the extra MP and wanted to be able to "Zoom" which the Pro doesn't offer.

Welcome to you from Hauptmann, in the sovereign state of Texas!

I'd suggest starting with the MA2. while both machines you're contemplating are fabulous for the beginner and the pro alike, . But if you intend to fly commercial, your needs will be different from those of a hobbyist. You will need to develop a high degree of piloting skill. so you may as well learn on a less expensive machine than the M2P. Practice, practice, practice until your stick movements become second nature to you, just as balance adjustments are while riding a bike. You need to be able to make subtle corrections without conscious thought--you just make them. You'll be flying close to stationary objects while doing, say, infrastructure surveillance, where a wrong move could cause a crash.

Be sure to read, reread and reread the manual! Practice using “Find My Drone”. Chances are you will crash, and perhaps lose your bird . Just be sure you know how to retrieve it. Time is money. A lost drone will cost you both time and money, and also perhaps a client.

Good luck with your new endeavor. Glad to have you with us!

Hello,

Looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Tim

Like or not there is a learning curve no matter how book smart you can be on drones , there also the close calls and the birds, and the magnetic interference and weather , winds and Panic.

With that said the Air 2 will get you in the right direction , and get some great results that can pass for some paid work.

When your ready for real commercial work your going to need a Back up and the Air 2 is going to be just that . having a back up for commercial work is critical to your reputation and success. Either way you go welcome to the Mavic Family.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Storm and capture the Sky.
Coal

You have some good advice here, and I can't really add much to it.

But so far no one had mentioned getting your Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate. Make sure you get one of those so you stay legal. All the info you need is right here: Become a Drone Pilot

The MA2 is a great starting bird, and even one that will be good for a while. When (if) the M3P comes out, and you're ready, go ahead and budget for that one too. The correct M2P is a better bird than the MA2, bit it's twice the cost. It's my go to bird for clients, and it's great. So if you want to start at a higher quality sensor, ge the M2P instead.

But whatever you decide, start out slow and in an open field. Read the manual, and ask a ton of questions.

And most importantly, have fun!!!

I would get the Mavic Air 2. It's practically a giveaway at the price relative to what you would have had to pay for the same performance only a very short time ago.
however if it's not up to the performance that you need picture wise because of the smaller sensor you are not going to be happy.
Like flying drones?? whats not to like ..you'll love it..especially if you like cameras!

I would like to start flying drones for both fun and possibly some side jobs like real estate, local business marketing, insurance missions or possibly starting a YouTube channel. I already formed a LLC, passed the 107 test, purchased a domain name, etc all this month. I am torn between the Mavic Air 2, the Mavic 2 Pro or waiting for the Mavic 3 Pro that "might" come out in September...

...But on the other hand I am concerned that if I get the MA2 the quality of the images might be an issue (Even though they say 48 MP it's not a true 48 MP camera) and the quality of the video even though it's 4k 60fps might have grainy spots due to the smaller sensor and that I would need a better drone to do any commercial work (It's also my understanding for sites like DroneBase they don't let you use the MA2 for missions) .

Welcome to the forum! To address your Dronebase question, only the M2P and P4Pro are preferred models because of their image quality and ability to be flown on autonomous roof inspection and property ortho mapping missions with apps like Pix4DCapture.

I know my MA2 could provide similar quality images for their clients’ inspection, documentation and possibly selling purposes, but without the SDK (software development kit by DJI for the MA2), the app developers can not program flights nor control things like the camera settings. So I use my MA2 to pre-fly the roof, determine proper roof height and detect any obstacle like protruding antennas, HVAC units, power or communication lines, etc. (Kinda like a Secret Service advanced party for my M2P!)

Thank you to everyone who responded, I appreciate all of the advice and information! Can I just say it's so refreshing to be a part of a positive forum where people are so helpful! I am seeing if Best Buy can extend my 10% off coupon since it expired now and I didn't make a purchase yet, I will know shortly and if so I think I will either go for the Mavic Air 2, or wait and see if anything is announced in September as far as the Mavic 3 Pro. I am a technology guy so buying something that is 2 years old even if the camera is amazing, might make me cringe a little.

Thanks again!

Tim

Thanks again for the advice, just to follow up I ended up getting a Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo. So far I am really happy with it, I have been documenting some road construction in our small town and getting some practice. The video quality is extremely clear. I have so much more to learn but am having a lot of fun with this drone. I am anxiously checking to see if the Mavic 3 Pro is something that exists and will be released at the end of September or not. If not I may consider purchasing the Mavic 2 Pro... but I'll wait and see. I really like having ADS-B to let me know when small aircraft are in the vicinity, being out in a small town there are some small planes that fly quite low out this way and although I maintain visual line of sight and check the airspace regularly it's one more tool to help maintain safety and get an advanced alert.

Thanks!

Tim

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard