DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which insurance should I get?

I’m looking into insurance / protection plans for my Mavic Air 2. I’m trying to decide which one(s) I should go with.

DJI Care Refresh ($79.99) - One Year
State Farm ($60) - One Year
Asurion Protection Plan ($57) - Three Years

Actually, just typing that out made me realize the Asurion plan is the best deal.
I couldn't get the local State Farm agent to return my call. Like a good neighbor, State Farm ain't there.

Heads up to ALL.
All standard insurance companies are linked together. All claims are active for 3-5 years. All claims are available to ALL companies. The only exception are several DRONE insurance companies that provide liability and equipment coverage.
Why is this important.
If you make more than 2 claims in 3- 5 years you may find your rates increase. If you try to change insurance companies your rates will be high due to previous claims. No matter what the company name is.
Buyer beware.

Nope, the standard warranty doesn't cover if it's your fault aka pilot error; the Refresh Warranty does cover 2 replacements as long as can send the broken one back.
Really, I thought it was covered as long as you could send the old one in (in a paper bag if necessary).
If it only covers defects (like a standard warranty would) I wouldn't even consider that insurance.

I’m looking into insurance / protection plans for my Mavic Air 2. I’m trying to decide which one(s) I should go with.

Actually, just typing that out made me realize the Asurion plan is the best deal.

DJI care refresh will replace it for a small fee as long as you’ve got the damaged original to send in.
In most cases State Farm will drop your coverage if you have a drone claim within the first 2 years of coverage.

State Farm. I just got paid on a claim for my totalled Autel bird. Full retail original price in my bank in 2 days. No deductible and no future premium ding from them. I will also be insuring my MA2 when it arrives.

They didnt drop you after filing a claim? I guess it happened to some people. How long did you have the insurance for?

I am looking at liability for commercial flying. I cannot believe it is so expensive!! Holy cow!

I am looking at liability for commercial flying. I cannot believe it is so expensive!! Holy cow!

Check out HOME | idra. I might have read somewhere that their policy covers commercial flights as well, but you should double check with them.

State Farm dropped me in a New York minute for filing a claim. It also showed up on my home owners insurance with All State which raised my rates. Stick with DJI Care Refresh.

never had a problem with care, check carefully as they dont insure if you loose the drone talking from experience in the last month

I just had Statefarm add my mavic mini and sc to my mavic 2 policy. Its super nice to have a local agent. Not just because of the convenience of having a real person to work with, its also a matter customer service that will reflect reputation and ability to sell. I have had good luck with assurian on my pixel 3 and a an iPhone but again I like a person looking me in the eyes is more likely to do what they can to help as opposed to writing NO in an email and hitting send.

Just my two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

I'd second this question. I'm not looking for cheapest coverage, I'm looking for best.

Specifically, as I understand it, DJI care refresh provides replacements for damaged drones – as long as it doesn't get lost in the water?
Full coverage for water damage providing you can recover your drone from the murky deep.

I’m going to get the DJI Care Refresh at least for the first year, and also the Asurion plan which will cover me for 3 years.

Reactions: Simone L
I couldn't get the local State Farm agent to return my call. Like a good neighbor, State Farm ain't there.
Try another agent for State Farms. Here in NY, I've heard that some of the agents aren't up to speed on it actually being available. A friend of mine tried one agent who said no and, when he looked around elsewhere, he did find an agent.

I've, personally, have had Start Farms. I'm on my second year now with them, no claims from me (yet), $60.00. All that was required from me was a copy of my invoice and that's what my coverage will pay.

My first thoughts would be, what are you buying insurance for? If it's only for loss/replacement, DJI Care Refresh would be the choice if you have the broken drone to send them. If you are looking for liability, then you really need to speak with an agent. What coverage ado you need? How much liability and deductible can you live with. If your drone does damage to property or to an aircraft there is a big payout.

Reactions: Cw4bray
Not tested yet but, I've seen "lost drone" would qualify. Having logs, I'm sure, would help. Not sure how State Farm would handle a policy renewal the following year. I'm sure others here have more info on that.

Does asurion protection plan cover the same thing as StateFarm?
I can't speak for Asurion, but State Farm puts drones on Personal Property Floaters. PPF is 100% coverage for any type of loss...including losing your property. This was designed for jewelry and fine arts, but works for drones as well.

DawgPilot recommended liability through IDRA and boy that was a huge savings. The policy DOES cover commercial and it's worldwide. I bought the DJI Refresh when I purchased my drone so for this year I think I'm covered....I really appreciate the recommendation!!

Reactions: dawgpilot
The DJI thing is a total rip and they will scrutinize your log file. Its still a large deductible even if they find it was the drones fault and you have to have the drone. Why anyone would go for that is beyond me. I dont know about Asurian but Statefarm covers everything for $60.00 a year and is a smokin deal. When I say everything i mean everything. If its stolen your case, smart controller, aircraft, spare batteries, chargers......everything! If you crash and you can recover it, then Statefarm covers the cost of repairs or replacement. If it goes down in the water and is unrecoverable, statefarm replaces it. They dont need to see the carcass! I called my Agent the day after I bought my Zoom and got off the phone 15mins later fully covered. How is this even a question?
Like JeffChap mentioned above, my agent told me any claims are usually covered within 48 hours!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02