DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which iPad Mini?

AIredale1

Reactions
Thinking of getting a new or used iPad Mini for my MM. What model version will work with it? What model I version will not? Does it have to have cellular or just wi-fi?

Any help would be appreciated.

I got a used one on eBay. You want the one that has cellular to because it has a gps in it.
I got a mini iPad 4. Works great. It was like new.

Reactions: AIredale1
I bought a used Mini 4 on eBay but decided to return it. It worked well but the battery life was poor. I could only get about 2 hours of running time out of it running a movie. With the MM by the time I ran three batteries, it was usually almost dead - once it did die but it was close by and I just came back and landed. I am thinking because the Mini 4's are now about 4 years old batteries may well be a problem with some used units.

I bit the bullet and ordered a refurb directly from Apple. It comes with a new battery and outer shell as well as the same full-year warranty as a new one.

I have an iPad mini 4, with cellular on order. Refurbished. Will report back once I greet a chance to use with my Mavic mini.

Thinking of getting a new or used iPad Mini for my MM. What model version will work with it?
The iPad mini 3/4/5 will work. You'll also need a longer Lightning cable -- like this one:

1574220859660.png

Does it have to have cellular or just wi-fi?
You'll need a cellular model with the cell service enabled if you want to use features that require and Internet connection (like downloading the maps) while flying. You can of course fly without an Internet connection though.

The iPad mini 3/4/5 will work. You'll also need a longer Lightning cable -- like this one:

1574220859660.png

You'll need a cellular model with the cell service enabled if you want to use features that require and Internet connection (like downloading the maps) while flying. You can of course fly without an Internet connection though.

1574220859660.png

Thank you all very much for all the info; very helpful! I already have the longer Lightning Cable as I needed one that would work with my iPhone 7 plus which is in an Otterbox Defender case.

Again, much thanks for all your help. The MM is my first drone and I am loving it.

I am using an iPad mini 2. It works fine and the screen is very clear. It doesn’t have cellular, but my iPhone X is set up as a Wi-Fi hotspot, and I link my iPad mini to the phone. I use the same cable extension that others have mentioned.

When doing this does the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator on the screen work? I tried the hotspot set up with my phone but couldn't get it or the mapping to update.

Great question! Does anyone know the answer?

When doing this does the "Aircraft Orientation" indicator on the screen work? I tried the hotspot set up with my phone but couldn't get it or the mapping to update.

Yes, the aircraft orientation indicator does work on the iPad mini when it is linked to the iPhone hotspot. First you have to set up the hotspot on the phone, and a new Wi-Fi location name on the phone will appear. Then you have to see this location on the iPad mini. Click on it to make the connection, and you will have Wi-Fi on the iPad mini. Only do this just before you are going to take your flight.

Hey Guys
I bought a new Samsung S2 8" Tablet exclusively to use with Mavic Pro using the Go4 App, I've kept it clean and not loaded any other apps only the Go4, I'm frustrated that I have tried every suggestion from this Forum and still I have issues with connection, sometimes it won't connect at all.
Against my better judgement (since apple stopped supporting iplayer) I have decided it might be time to invest in an ipad mini 5, having looked on Amazon for a suitable product, describing them as latest model's, I note that some Mini's are using Android 9 Pie operating system.
Can someone please educate me as to why Apple are doing this and does the Android system work with DJI Go4 App.
I'll not be happy if I spend load's of money and to have the same connection issues.
Thanks Guys

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive