DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which is better memory card 64 or 128?

1 dng picture for full resolution 16:9 format, it takes 18 mb, if you film and takes pictures....you must have a minimum 32gb card

Reactions: kevbac
I, too, use the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, 64GB, and generally change cards after each flight.

I also use SDFormatter (freeware) to format the cards after downloading my data:

I tend to format with whichever drone I've put the card in.
Understood. But since I pull cards and download via a USB card reader, I format right after the transfer. I do load empty cards into the drones before leaving home to avoid forgetting them at home, which has happened more than once!

Understood. But since I pull cards and download via a USB card reader, I format right after the transfer. I do load empty cards into the drones before leaving home to avoid forgetting them at home, which has happened more than once!
I once arrived at a St Lawrence Seaway lock, just a couple of minutes before a ship was scheduled. Ship was about to enter the lock. I fired up the Mavic, fought with DJI's no-fly zone nonsense (even though there were no actual restrictions on the airspace) and hurried to get airborne so I could video the entire transit. You may have already guessed - no card in the Mavic. :(

Since then, I 3D printed a little case. It uses a microSD-to-SD adapter as its lid and it holds six microSD cards. It always stays in the case with my Mavic Pro and Mini. I now put a fresh card in when I pull one out - swap batteries/swap cards. I plan to do up a couple more for the other birds.

I don't format a card until it starts to fill up, even though I pull them at each battery change.
Based on a habit I developed in doing still photography. Backup but don't delete anything until the backup is backed up. Format with the equipment that will be using the card - better assurance that the card will work in the chosen camera.
I have seen, a few times, cards that work perfectly well in several different computers and card readers but won't work or even format in a camera. I can't recall having seen the reverse of that (works in camera, not in computer/card reader).

Reactions: halifax
I once arrived at a St Lawrence Seaway lock, just a couple of minutes before a ship was scheduled. Ship was about to enter the lock. I fired up the Mavic, fought with DJI's no-fly zone nonsense (even though there were no actual restrictions on the airspace) and hurried to get airborne so I could video the entire transit. You may have already guessed - no card in the Mavic. :(

Since then, I 3D printed a little case. It uses a microSD-to-SD adapter as its lid and it holds six microSD cards. It always stays in the case with my Mavic Pro and Mini. I now put a fresh card in when I pull one out - swap batteries/swap cards. I plan to do up a couple more for the other birds.

I don't format a card until it starts to fill up, even though I pull them at each battery change.
Based on a habit I developed in doing still photography. Backup but don't delete anything until the backup is backed up. Format with the equipment that will be using the card - better assurance that the card will work in the chosen camera.
I have seen, a few times, cards that work perfectly well in several different computers and card readers but won't work or even format in a camera. I can't recall having seen the reverse of that (works in camera, not in computer/card reader).
That is really good advice and I am going to change my workflow. THANK YOU!

Reactions: Thomas B
I change my 64GB card every time I change batteries.

That is really good advice and I am going to change my workflow. THANK YOU!
Back in the days of film (remember analog?), I showed up for a simple, low paying job. I was to shoot a series of about a dozen business card portraits. I used the same lighting setup for everyone and took a single shot of each person.
When I went to rewind, there didn't seem to be enough resistance on the knob.
Me: "Ok, everyone, give me a moment to change the lighting a bit and then we'll do another set."
Them: "Thanks! we were only expecting you to do one pose each, that's cool of you to do a second pose"
Me (to myself): "And this time, I'll do it with film in the camera..."

3 pages, really? It's twice the size. You decide if you need the size. No one else. But best practice is to download footage without delay. For super obvious reasons.

Either card can hold much, much more video and still images than you can capture in a single flight.
The important question is: How much of your work are you prepared to lose at once?
You can get 1hour 20mins of 4k on 64gb, enough for 3 batteries flight time so if you are going home to charge them you may as well download the card. Saying that a 128 gb card does not cost that much more than the 64gb.

Buy this card. You will not regret it. Hope everyone else agrees or I'm in trouble.SDcard.png

Hi
I am new here, and today my Mini 2 arrived as a gift to me
Which is better memory card 64 or 128? and what's the difference?
Thanks
I use 128 card , ya its overkill but sorta like having a full tank of gas and only going to the corner store, its nice to know its there if needed but prolly will never go beyond 64 but you never know if your at a once in a lifetime spot and the right lighting and prefect weather you can fly and record - take pics and know i have enough room to do this without Downloading to phone.

Your not asking the correct question here. Sorry to be blunt. All answers are basically correct, but are directed towards storage.

What is more important than than storage of a card is the speed at which said card can store your 4k images.
So the question for videographers and professional photographers are most always firstly, how fast is the particular card and then secondly, you pick a size that fits your needs.
I have owned 4 drones at this point, the present being the MA2 and it requires a more expensive card, because it is recording a tremendous amount of data at 4k and at increased frame rates. And images at a whopping 48k.
So you will find that to capture 4k video without seeing a gittery video, purchase a card with a high rate.

The two 128gb cards I used on the Phantom 4P, did Not give me the capture rates needed for the MA2, so I now have 2 64gb cards with. They are Sandisk Extreme Pro as per pic.

Yes. I use this chip and have had consistently excellent results.

I would add, if it already hasn't been mentioned and I missed it, that with the Sandisk card reader SDDR-B531-GN6NN connected to a USB 3.x PC/MAC port, the chip can bypass the UHS-I speed limit, producing 160MB/S transfer speed.

That lightning fast transfer is satisfying to watch, that optimality vibe. And also does great second duty for general fast porting from device to device (100MB/S write speed via the adapter).

With the top line being, as Rock82 has specified: speed trumps capacity. 64GB should be sufficient for almost any single day set of missions. However, once you decide on the Sandisk Extreme Pro series as listed in Rock82's posts, why not get at least the 128GB version, as the cost difference is minimal, and you get broader utility for secondary tasks (or just for two or three long flight sessions if you cannot conveniently offload the data between missions).

Reactions: Faster
One thing I think worth considering when buying SD cards is that you might use them on another device in the future, so getting a card that's more than you need today gives you a little future-proofing. (E.g. I still have a bunch of old 2GB and 4GB Class 4 cards that still work, but they aren't useful for today's cameras.)

Reactions: zetetic
Yes. I use this chip and have had consistently excellent results.

I would add, if it already hasn't been mentioned and I missed it, that with the Sandisk card reader SDDR-B531-GN6NN connected to a USB 3.x PC/MAC port, the chip can bypass the UHS-I speed limit, producing 160MB/S transfer speed.

That lightning fast transfer is satisfying to watch, that optimality vibe. And also does great second duty for general fast porting from device to device (100MB/S write speed via the adapter).

With the top line being, as Rock82 has specified: speed trumps capacity. 64GB should be sufficient for almost any single day set of missions. However, once you decide on the Sandisk Extreme Pro series as listed in Rock82's posts, why not get at least the 128GB version, as the cost difference is minimal, and you get broader utility for secondary tasks (or just for two or three long flight sessions if you cannot conveniently offload the data between missions).
Another vote for the Sandisk Extreme Pro coupled with the Sandisk MobileMate Card Reader. Transfer speed is lightning fast.

Reactions: zetetic
Larger capacity cards will cause issues with flight balance as they fill up. All that additional data weighing down on the back of the Mini 2 could cause problems. Also, might take you over the 250g limit when they are nearly full.

• Haha
Reactions: theDRONEranger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada