DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Lens for Close-Up Details?

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I use my drone as a tool for insurance damage inspections.

Which lens would be most effective for getting close-up details (e.g. on a roof)?

The wide lens has the largest sensor;
The wide and medium lenses have the shortest focusing distance;
The medium and long lenses have smaller sensors;
The long lens has a longer minimum focusing distance.

I use my drone as a tool for insurance damage inspections.

Which lens would be most effective for getting close-up details (e.g. on a roof)?

The wide lens has the largest sensor;
The wide and medium lenses have the shortest focusing distance;
The medium and long lenses have smaller sensors;
The long lens has a longer minimum focusing distance.
If effectiveness includes the risk of crashing, while too close in proximity to the damage under adverse conditions, the 7x telephoto would be best, but if you want the finest detail, and don't mind the risk of flying closer, the 24mm lens with the 4/3 sensor lens will be your best choice for detail.

Reactions: CadrePilot
If effectiveness includes the risk of crashing, while too close in proximity to the damage under adverse conditions, the 7x telephoto would be best, but if you want the finest detail, and don't mind the risk of flying closer, the 24mm lens with the 4/3 sensor lens will be your best choice for detail.
I have no issue with flying at the wide lens' minimum focus distance of 1 meter. :)

One with wide lens, other with 7x. What do you think?

Attachments

• 240329_0003_D.c.JPG
    240329_0003_D.c.JPG
    694.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 240329_0008_D.c.JPG
    240329_0008_D.c.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
One with wide lens, other with 7x. What do you think?
If that was all I had to go on, I'd say the 7x image you have presented is slightly sharper with more detail. However, unless you manually focused the 24mm at its minimum focusing distance, and properly lit the test image, you can't properly compare the images. The difference in color cast alone suggests there was some difference. In the field, the lighting and proximity to the subject might also skew the results between the cameras, especially if the 24mm proximity requires blocking the illuminating sunlight.

Bottom line, for your intended use, either camera will get the job done with sufficient detail. Anything else will just be a preference. Visual insurance damage documentation can only reveal so much. It can't tell you anything about the hidden damage under the surface.

If that was all I had to go on, I'd say the 7x image you have presented is slightly sharper with more detail. However, unless you manually focused the 24mm at its minimum focusing distance, and properly lit the test image, you can't properly compare the images. The difference in color cast alone suggests there was some difference. In the field, the lighting and proximity to the subject might also skew the results between the cameras, especially if the 24mm proximity requires blocking the illuminating sunlight.

Bottom line, for your intended use, either camera will get the job done with sufficient detail. Anything else will just be a preference. Visual insurance damage documentation can only reveal so much. It can't tell you anything about the hidden damage under the surface.
I should've posted more info with the photos.

I printed out a camera test page and taped it to my landing pad in daylight. Then I took the photos from the closest I could hover with each lens (24mm and 166mm) while manually focusing, but auto exposure on AEB. I've posted the middle exposure of each.

I should've posted more info with the photos.

I printed out a camera test page and taped it to my landing pad in daylight. Then I took the photos from the closest I could hover with each lens (24mm and 166mm) while manually focusing, but auto exposure on AEB. I've posted the middle exposure of each.
So what is your conclusion?

in this case, the largest sensor, you cant defeat physics.

Same reason a cell phone camera pic looks like crap compared to a dslr.

larger pixel size equates to better light gathering and less diffraction, plus usually goes hand in hand with better optical elements being used as well.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman