DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Mode?

Tim99

Reactions
Hi.

New member here. Got my Mavic Mini 2 about a week ago, only flown it a couple of times in the garden so far to try to get to grips with the (very) basics. It’s my first UAV.

I was wondering if anyone else had a dilemma regarding which control mode to stick with?

Am I overthinking it? All three have good & not so good attributes to my personal brain wiring, with mode 1 being ever so slightly easier, I think. Then I try another & that seems to work for a while. I seem to be flipping between them a lot.

I suppose I should just persevere with mode 1 until it’s hard wired by repetition?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Iain

New member here. Got my Mavic Mini 2 about a week ago, only flown it a couple of times in the garden so far
You really need a large, open area free of trees, buildings and other obstacles for learning flights.
When there's nothing to hit, it's really hard to get into trouble.
I suppose I should just persevere with mode 1 until it’s hard wired by repetition?
Mode 2 is the standard joystick mode that almost all flyers use.
Whatever you use, sticking with just one is probably a good idea.

Reactions: 4006448 and maggior
You really need a large, open area free of trees, buildings and other obstacles for learning flights.
When there's nothing to hit, it's really hard to get into trouble.

Mode 2 is the standard joystick mode that almost all flyers use.
Whatever you use, sticking with just one is probably
Thanks Meta,
Maybe ‘flown’ is a bit of an overstatement.
Bumbled around & making sure it works would be more accurate.

I’ve got plenty of room, but am hesitant to let it get more than a few metres away from me at the moment.

Iain

I think the only reason to deviate from the default control stick mode is if you have prior experience with something else that used the stick configuration of the other modes. I don't have extensive RC experience so I don't know what that would be.

Otherwise, I'd stick with the default and learn. I think you are overthinking it. Switching between modes is definitely not a good idea.

Mode 2 is actually the default.

Reactions: 4006448
If you read this thread, it looks like some console gamers prefer mode 3. Otherwise, overwhelmingly the suggestion is to stick with Mode 2, the default for any drone.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Welcome to the MavicPilots forum… Enjoy, and Happy flying!

Welcome from New Mexico. Good people here who are willing to share their knowledge and experience... and most importantly our mistakes. I stick with mode 2. I'm too old to have even been a video game person. :)

Hi and welcome to the community!

If I am to impart any advice to you it is two things: 1) Make a decision and stick with it. Nothing will delay your proficiency than bouncing around between modes with the sticks doing different things. 2) I strongly suggest you stay in the default mode, mode 2, where the left controls up/down and yaw and the right controls forward/backward/left/right (lateral moves).

One of the things you'll be doing shortly after you get acclimated are "complex" moves where you may want to manipulate the gimbal (change camera angle) with the wheel on the left side of the controller while moving forward, turning and changing altitude all at the same time. In mode 2 you will find the left hand more free to operate the wheel because up/down/yaw are less likely to have to be manipulated consistently, making it easier to control the wheel while actively commanding your drone. Remember, that the majority of the drone's movement will be forward, it will be easier, if desired, to pin the right stick forward leaving your left to do the a lot of the finesse work. Unless you have a previous training on a game or something else creating a habit that you'd have to break, again I advise you put it in mode 2, learn to fly that way and forget about it.

Good luck.

Reactions: maggior
No guts, no glory.............take it up and out, the nerves with eventually cool down.
We all have been there.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

I was particularly struck with vidibona’s very comprehensive reply. Obviously as a newbie the point about the gimbal wheel would never have crossed my mind.

I’ll stick to mode 2 as suggested by most people & I’m sure after a while it’ll all become automatic muscle memory.

Cheers,

Iain

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi