DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which RC connection is best Mavic 2 PRO

Standuptommy

Reactions
I have heard different things about which port is best to connect to my Mavic 2 Pro RC. The Type A at the Bottom or the small micro one on the left side. Does anybody out there truly know? or does it not matter. Please let me know. Thank you. Tom

Reactions: Droniac
-The small micro usb port on the side doubles as a screen connection & a charging port ... and it's fragile + if you by mistake just once happens to turn the cable connector the wrong way & force it in you destroy it ---> you don't have any way to charge your RC anymore.

-The bigger usb-A port only serves as a screen connector ... it's sturdy so you won't break it easily.

Reserve the smaller micro usb for charging only ... & use the bigger usb-A for screen connection only.

@Standuptommy i concur with @slup its best to use the bottom port ,and make sure you check that the charging cable is plugged into the side port the correct way up , its a good idea to mark its top surface, a small dab of modeling paint will do, so it helps to orientate it when you are plugging it into the port

Something to consider…
Regarding the fragility of the side port, I use the magnetic connectors on both my MPP and M2P to protect it from repeated and mistaken insertion. There are differing opinions on whether it’s a bad thing to have any kind of magnet in the vicinity of the controller. And these concerns make sense. However, I’ve never had any problem of stick misalignment, interference with sensors or other issues.

@Standuptommy i concur with @slup its best to use the bottom port ,and make sure you check that the charging cable is plugged into the side port the correct way up , its a good idea to mark its top surface, a small dab of modeling paint will do, so it helps to orientate it when you are pugging it into the port
I had no luck with magnetic connectors.Small plug came out a lot.I leave a short cable tape secured in the side port.When flying I have an external battery of the type that charges phones.Charge as I fly.Plug it in at home to fully recharge the controller.

I had no luck with magnetic connectors.Small plug came out a lot.I leave a short cable tape secured in the side port.When flying I have an external battery of the type that charges phones.Charge as I fly.Plug it in at home to fully recharge the controller.
I agree they come out, specially when I pull straight out to disconnect. I think my M2P controller is worse than my MPP. To prevent that, I rotate the magnetic connector down or up to break the magnetic pull. But your solution is a cool idea.

Reactions: offtheback
Just piling on with the accepted norm:

Bottom Type A Port: I always use this port for connecting while flying, never the side connector, for the all of the reasons mentioned.

Side Connector / Port: Charging only, done very carefully. During road trips, I try not to do this while traveling, but do it when I'm stationary and nothing is bouncing around.

I don't believe there's a difference in performance, only that the bottom one doesn't charge.

There are lots of horror stories about people trying to get theirs fixed and it's not often with happen endings. I chose to never damage it.

Chris

Reactions: Standuptommy
Just piling on with the accepted norm:

Bottom Type A Port: I always use this port for connecting while flying, never the side connector, for the all of the reasons mentioned.

Side Connector / Port: Charging only, done very carefully. During road trips, I try not to do this while traveling, but do it when I'm stationary and nothing is bouncing around.

I don't believe there's a difference in performance, only that the bottom one doesn't charge.

There are lots of horror stories about people trying to get theirs fixed and it's not often with happen endings. I chose to never damage it.L
Chris

Is there any trIck to getting the bottom port to work? I can connect my iPhone 6 to the side port fine but an iPad mini and Samsung device refuse to connect using the bottom port.

No trick for me. I can my iPad Air 2 on either port, but prefer the bottom for RC use.

I have no experience trying an Android device on either port.

Chris

Is there any trIck to getting the bottom port to work? I can connect my iPhone 6 to the side port fine but an iPad mini and Samsung device refuse to connect using the bottom port.
it wont work if there is anything plugged into the side port ,and you need a data transfer cable not just a charging one

it wont work if there is anything plugged into the side port ,and you need a data transfer cable not just a charging one
I use the same data cable / iPad mini 2 combo on my Matrice 600 so I know the cable and iPad function correctly. Just seems to randomly connect with that combo to my Magic 2 Pro.
It is easy to overlook the side cable being plugged since it is so well hidden along the side. I made sure it was out and it did connect this time.
Thank you.

I say use whatever port is more convenient for you or more suited to your display mount method, as long as you are careful. That's what its there for.

I have been using smartphones and many other random devices with micro USB connectors for over 15 years that see exponentially more usage than a drone controller ever would, and I have never in my life had one break or fail. Obviously, they are less durable than a USB-A connector, but unless you're careless, you aren't likely to have any problems. If you aren't careful or are rough with your equipment, stick to the USB-A port. If you understand how a micro USB port works, then you should have zero issues with it. FWIW before I got the Smart Controller I always used the side port on my DJI controllers and never had a single issue.

Just my experience, YMMV. Nothing wrong with either.

I'm not expert but I have a lot of experience. Sounds like there's a problem. I use both my iphone 6s plus and my iphone 8 Plus as well as my ipad mini 5 and they all work in both ports. Update everything is often the solution but it does not sound good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato