DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whip antennas for vehicle needed

Hello everyone. I did a search on this forums and realized that their are various opinions as it relates to this topic. Basically i am ok with the range of my mavic pro platinum. However i will love to sit inside my vehicle and fly my bird. I am basically looking for a set off whip antennas that can be used on the hood of my vehicle that can be used with the MPP controller. Anyone is using a kit or can recommend some kits for me? I will like to also buy a seperate RC controller so i can mod if needed.
Double check the guidelines for some reason I want to say that fly from within a vehicle is prohibited. I am not sure why but I know they are cracking down might as well be safe than sorry.

Thanks for this information, I have a mavic pro 1 and wondered if it would be possible to fly from a parked vehicle. It sounds like the windows do not have much effect in the signal.
Thanks

Hello everyone. I did a search on this forums and realized that their are various opinions as it relates to this topic. Basically i am ok with the range of my mavic pro platinum. However i will love to sit inside my vehicle and fly my bird. I am basically looking for a set off whip antennas that can be used on the hood of my vehicle that can be used with the MPP controller. Anyone is using a kit or can recommend some kits for me? I will like to also buy a seperate RC controller so i can mod if needed.
Hi redserv, if you go to the sister/brother site phantompilots.com and search for car mounted antennas, you may find what you are looking for. several folk did this about five years ago, cant remember if it was under the phantom 3 or 4 modification threads. but it worked quite well.

happy and safe flying

Hi redserv, if you go to the sister/brother site phantompilots.com and search for car mounted antennas, you may find what you are looking for. several folk did this about five years ago, cant remember if it was under the phantom 3 or 4 modification threads. but it worked quite well.

happy and safe flying
Thank you very much. Will have a look

Answered your message and as far as a moving vehicle I've never tried it . As far as sitting inside it is no issue at all.
On those especially cooler days, it is nice to sit inside with a cup of coffee handy. Do it myself, with no issues. Warmer weather, I launch and recover from the hard shell tonneau cover on the pickup.

On those especially cooler days, it is nice to sit inside with a cup of coffee handy. Do it myself, with no issues. Warmer weather, I launch and recover from the hard shell tonneau cover on the pickup.
Thank you for your feedback. I just need to try it and get over the fear of losing my bird. I definitely will never do it from a moving vehicle ever again.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
I flew from inside of my parked/heated truck on Friday as it was 15degF and windy. I had to move the smart controller around the interior to maintain an optimum signal link. An external, omnidirectional whip is a great idea but the controller would need an SMA or like connector installed. The antenna coax cable would also have to be kept short as losses in thin-diameter lines at microwave frequencies are quite high.

Definitely a worthwhile exploration.

I flew from inside of my parked/heated truck on Friday as it was 15degF and windy. I had to move the smart controller around the interior to maintain an optimum signal link. An external, omnidirectional whip is a great idea but the controller would need an SMA or like connector installed. The antenna coax cable would also have to be kept short as losses in thin-diameter lines at microwave frequencies are quite high.

Definitely a worthwhile exploration.
Thank you so much for your feedback. What company will you recommend?

Sorry, Friend, I have not yet looked into the details. I'm just an old-timer ham radio operator with a lot of microwave experience.

happy and safe flying
Easy to do with Phantoms as the antennas screw on, which is an easy connection for alternative antennas, but Mavic RCs have fixed antennas. For those an RC modification is needed.

Easy to do with Phantoms as the antennas screw on, which is an easy connection for alternative antennas, but Mavic RCs have fixed antennas. For those an RC modification is needed.
Will those antennas also work with the Mavic platinum pro? I believe the Mavic pro works with the 2.4Ghz band

Hi DaMan32, not sure which Phantom series you are referring to, but the phantom 2/3/4 series all require modification to the RC if you change the antenna. None have screw on antennas. that also includes Spark, and yes ALL the Mavic RC's too. This also includes DJI's Smart Controller. Can't speak to anything prior to the Phantom 2 series (prior to 2015). YouTube has countless videos on how to modify DJI RC's with upgrade antennas.

Happy and safe flying!

Will those antennas also work with the Mavic platinum pro? I believe the Mavic pro works with the 2.4Ghz band

The MPP RC has snap in antennas, I had to modify the RC to fit the Titan quick release QMA jacks.
Once you pry out the OEM antennas it's hard to put them back.

I also bought 2.4ghz passive and amplified panels for the MPP.

I fly the Mavic Pro from my truck all the time, range doesn't change if I'm in or out of it. I will say that you need to understand your vehicle. I recently upgraded trucks from a 2006 GMC to a 2017 and my range was suffering quite a bit in the 2017. After landing I thought about it and remembered the truck had a very strong antenna for accessing mobile networks and an even stronger wifi router. After disabling the wifi in the truck I was able to resume normal flight ops from within the truck.

Also, drones hate calibrating near vehicles. If you get a magnetic interference error it's probably just the vehicle. I just ignore it, hand launch, and climb until the error goes away.

Failsafe should bring the AC back which is the default setting. It can also hover or land, which can be a good choice if flying under things.

Before it takes Failsafe action, it retraces its path taken for last 60 seconds. The idea being if it had a signal within 60 seconds ago, it should be able to get it back where it was before the loss.
This is in the Mavic Pro Platinum forum. The first iteration of the Mavic Pro drones DO NOT RETRACE THEIR COURSE on loss of signal! The drone will do whatever is set on the controller straight away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato