DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whip antennas for vehicle needed

redserv

Reactions
Hello everyone. I did a search on this forums and realized that their are various opinions as it relates to this topic. Basically i am ok with the range of my mavic pro platinum. However i will love to sit inside my vehicle and fly my bird. I am basically looking for a set off whip antennas that can be used on the hood of my vehicle that can be used with the MPP controller. Anyone is using a kit or can recommend some kits for me? I will like to also buy a seperate RC controller so i can mod if needed.

Hello everyone. I did a search on this forums and realized that their are various opinions as it relates to this topic. Basically i am ok with the range of my mavic pro platinum. However i will love to sit inside my vehicle and fly my bird. I am basically looking for a set off whip antennas that can be used on the hood of my vehicle that can be used with the MPP controller. Anyone is using a kit or can recommend some kits for me? I will like to also buy a seperate RC controller so i can mod if needed.
Not needed @dirkclod routinely pilots from inside his pickup truck. He uses stock equipment for this.

Not needed @dirkclod routinely pilots from inside his pickup truck. He uses stock equipment for this.
Hello Thomas thank you for responding. The last time I tried flying from inside a vehicle my bird got disconnected. I was flying in the passenger seat while a friend of mine was driving. Luckily my drone went back to a set home point.

If by "whip" you mean long flexible antennae aka Dukes of Hazard etc. style, there are ready made external antennae for the likes of the Phantoms that are by no means whips, in fact they look to be under 30cm long.
At the frequency these drones use do they need long length antennae?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dawgpilot
If by "whip" you mean long flexible antennae aka Dukes of Hazard etc. style, there are ready made external antennae for the likes of the Phantoms that are by no means whips, in fact they look to be under 30cm long.
At the frequency drones use do they need long length antennae?
Thank you.Maybe I used the wrong type. When I said whip I meant the long flexible antennas. Do you use those?

I said whip I meant the long flexible antennas. Do you use those?
No, with the Phantom I have the likes of ITELITE DBS Range Extender Antenna NEW ITE-DBS01.4 for DJI Phantom 3 Standard: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories.
My MM and M2P are, as supplied. Their range is sufficient for me.

With regards to car mounts for Phantoms this is the sort of thing I was thinking of US $31.99 |Antenna Car Kit Support Stand Mount Holder Bracket For ARGtek DJI Phantom 4 3 Advanced/Professional WiFi Signal Range Extender|antenna holder|phantom 3 antennadji phantom 3 antenna - AliExpress

Reactions: Thomas B
Ok thank you. I really dont trust flying from inside my vehicle with the stock RC antennas. I will feel much safer with external mounted antennas on vehicle.thanks for your feedback

Ok thank you. I really dont trust flying from inside my vehicle with the stock RC antennas. I will feel much safer with external mounted antennas on vehicle.thanks for your feedback
Answered your message and as far as a moving vehicle I've never tried it . As far as sitting inside it is no issue at all.

Reactions: theDRONEranger

Alientech is the better bet as I'm not sure what the status of Titan drones is, but in either case you'll need new antennas and a modification to the controller for the antenna fittings, there are youtube videos to show you how.
I've modified many of the Mavic type controllers for the Titan antennas and it's pretty straight forward if you use all the right tools (spludgers) and take a bit of care.

Thank you very much. If you had to choose between those two antenna systems. Which one will you go with?

Reactions: redserv
He's not looking for an amp, but to relocate the antenna. Besides, the amp/antenna module seems to be directional which wouldn't be suitable in a car, especially if the car is being driven.

I don't think the Op mentions the car moving that was introduced by another poster, the Titan solution was the only passive design I've seen hence the recomendation of a later model of a similar design. Alientech does have passive panels as well, but if your going to do all the mods you might as well use an self powered amplified panel, otherwise the op might as well just open the car window.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi guys sorry if I was not clear. Basically I wanted to fly my drone from inside my vehicle not driving. I also wanted some external antennas to put outside on my vehicle from my controller. I was thinking of a non amplified solution. However if I can get a boosted option I will consider it. Although I have been advised that I can fly my bird with the stock anthenna from the RC, it makes me nervous.

Hi guys sorry if I was not clear. Basically I wanted to fly my drone from inside my vehicle not driving. I also wanted some external antennas to put outside on my vehicle from my controller. I was thinking of a non amplified solution. However if I can get a boosted option I will consider it. Although I have been advised that I can fly my bird with the stock anthenna from the RC, it makes me nervous.
Well you did say "I was flying in the passenger seat while a friend of mine was driving." I guess you meant he was driving only when you were not actively flying.

You should be able to fly from the passenger seat, especially if you keep the AC basically in front of you.

Then again some vehicles do have a metal coating that have been known to block highway toll transponder signals.

Well you did say "I was flying in the passenger seat while a friend of mine was driving." I guess you meant he was driving only when you were not actively flying.

You should be able to fly from the passenger seat, especially if you keep the AC basically in front of you.

Then again some vehicles do have a metal coating that have been known to block highway toll transponder signals.
Thank you. I was giving an example of what i did when i was flying my bird in a moving vehicle that led to a disconnect and RTH scenario. However, this is why i was trying to get some feedback from you guys on a antenna kit to fly from inside my vehicle that will be in a parked position, not moving. I am just very scared to fly my MPP from inside a parked vehicle without an external antennas, although i was told it would be ok.

As long as he stays in LOS ..like through the windshield or sidewindows..it’s no problem. Now if the roof came between the drone and controller I can see him losing signal but it’s really not
an issue flying from a vehicle.

Failsafe should bring the AC back which is the default setting. It can also hover or land, which can be a good choice if flying under things.

Before it takes Failsafe action, it retraces its path taken for last 60 seconds. The idea being if it had a signal within 60 seconds ago, it should be able to get it back where it was before the loss.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom