DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White Balance Question

MrMavic

Reactions
OK everyone, I have been tryibng to figure this out since day one with my Mavic, but still have not come up with the answer. I have my camera settings like most people on here. Manual ISO / 100 / White Balance 6000. Here's my complaint. I am constantly having to change the shutter speed because the exposure changes constantly. The EV is up and down like crazy. It ruins most most of my videos. It seems I have to run on auto to make usable video. I admit I am not a camera buff, but this is ridiculously hard to use in manual.

That is the price you pay for using manual. You have to plan your shots out carefully so that you don't run out of exposure range during the important parts of a clip. If need be, end your scene, reset your exposure properly for the next segment, and continue.

This is how professional videography is made. It is not easy, simple, or fast, but the results are far superior to having changing exposure during a scene. Post production is where everything is blended together.

Incidentally, it gets worse. Your shutter speed should be locked also, and you should be changing exposure using ND filters and ISO to a smaller extent.

It's not for everyone, but the results are worth it, if you want truly cinematic footage.

Reactions: Mrmund
That is the price you pay for using manual. You have to plan your shots out carefully so that you don't run out of exposure range during the important parts of a clip. If need be, end your scene, reset your exposure properly for the next segment, and continue.

This is how professional videography is made. It is not easy, simple, or fast, but the results are far superior to having changing exposure during a scene. Post production is where everything is blended together.

Incidentally, it gets worse. Your shutter speed should be locked also, and you should be changing exposure using ND filters and ISO to a smaller extent.

It's not for everyone, but the results are worth it, if you want truly cinematic footage.
That's what I was afraid of. LOL I guess I just find it hard to navigate smoothly when trying to keep the camera settings right. Thanks for the info.

That's what I was afraid of. LOL I guess I just find it hard to navigate smoothly when trying to keep the camera settings right. Thanks for the info.
Well, that's why they have the auto features for those of us who'd rather not go the long route. For many situations, such as youtube videos, and most non professional web work, it does a pretty good job, and it's perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: CaptBill
You can have the WB on manual but leave exposure on auto, it really works much better for general use.
Just set your EV and leave it to it.
As you point out correct exposure changes constantly if you turn or pan up and down.

It was much more problematic with some earlier models where you could see unpleasant stepping effect.
As for the 360 shutter rule or whatever just forget it, you aren't making something to be viewed on a cinema screen, I guarantee 99% of the time the supposed issues of too fast/slow shutter are not going to be noticeable.

Reactions: Meta4
I suppose it’s all personal preference. I shoot everything manually. Install ND filter for sunlight conditions. ND 16 is generally a good filter for most conditions. ISO 100 as much as possible, shutter speed 1/60, and apature 4 to 5. This gives you pretty good results in most conditions. I keep my white balance at 5700 kelvins. Again it’s personal preference. Much like edited photos, there is no wrong way as long as you are happy with the images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada