DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White substance in battery cavity and on battery after flight. What is it? Thermal paste?

Texas Mavic

Reactions
Either thermal paste or battery discharge materials.?

Attachments

• 38DB3CA5-6D6E-4BC9-A828-CDC502B5CE0C.jpeg
    38DB3CA5-6D6E-4BC9-A828-CDC502B5CE0C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • 6CF14974-CEE5-49F7-92BB-0FB361EDEA60.jpeg
    6CF14974-CEE5-49F7-92BB-0FB361EDEA60.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • ABBE17EB-712D-41F6-9103-C7256D2ADCAA.jpeg
    ABBE17EB-712D-41F6-9103-C7256D2ADCAA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
Never seen that before, do you have another battery? Carefully clean the cavity and battery with a baking soda damp cloth, operate the drone and check it again to see if more residue accumulates

Never seen that before, do you have another battery? Carefully clean the cavity and battery with a baking soda damp cloth, operate the drone and check it again to see if more residue accumulates

Yes I do. I keep doing long range tests with an after market battery because it’s nice and new. About to give another older battery a whirl. I have 2x 3000mah lihvs on the side btw.

It seems to be residue from your velcro straps. If you look at the first photo you posted, you can see similarly looking grey particles on the velcro. Rub it against some black fabric and see if it leaves traces.

You can also see some tiny white hairs in that little gap between the sticker and the edge of the inset it's glued onto. I'd say it's velcro pieces ground into dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be residue from your velcro straps. If you look at the first photo you posted, you can see similarly looking grey particles on the velcro. Rub it against some black fabric and see if it leaves traces.

You can also see some tiny white hairs in that little gap between the sticker and the edge of the inset it's glued onto. I'd say it's velcro pieces ground into dust.
I had wiped off a bit of it from the battery and a little from the battery cavity. No Velcro in the battery cavity, only outside. It really looks like calcium or sodium deposit. Going to give it a look again this evening and see what how and why, hopefully it’s just crud making its way into the cavity. I had zero battery issues other than 155’F temp. No swelling and great voltage readings according to Airdata. Thanks for the feedback!!! Hopefully you are right!

Hello how are you doing? hope you're doing well. I just had a question for you. I am experiencing the same white residue in the same spots as your pictures and couldn't find anything online so I was just wondering if you ever did find out what it was from... I had to replace my original battery because my mavic got stuck above a stadium for a few days in the rain but the Drone is perfectly fine. How ever the battery had to be replaced, im not sure if it was because of being wet or because it drained to zero for so long so I got an aftermarket battery and I've only used it about three times so far and I just noticed a little bit of the white residue now. Curious to see if you ended up figuring it out and could share with me what you knew thank you for your time.

-Trevor

Attachments

• 15713359617351437003687535927328.jpg
    15713359617351437003687535927328.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 17
I know a car battery puts a white residue know as battery acid or corrosion on the battery terminals. but I don't think a Lipo battery would do the same thing but I could be wrong how old is the battery and how many cycles does it have on it....

Lipo batteries are sealed, that's why they swell. If the battery got wet, could be corrosion from the circuit board.

Hello how are you doing? hope you're doing well. I just had a question for you. I am experiencing the same white residue in the same spots as your pictures and couldn't find anything online so I was just wondering if you ever did find out what it was from... I had to replace my original battery because my mavic got stuck above a stadium for a few days in the rain but the Drone is perfectly fine. How ever the battery had to be replaced, im not sure if it was because of being wet or because it drained to zero for so long so I got an aftermarket battery and I've only used it about three times so far and I just noticed a little bit of the white residue now. Curious to see if you ended up figuring it out and could share with me what you knew thank you for your time.

-Trevor
It is actually from airflow, it’s a salt like if not a salt deposit from flight believe it or not. That’s what it ended up being.

So no need to worry it's harmless? Or is there anything to do to prevent it ? I haven't really noticed it much since then maybe a little tiny bit. And rattydude77 the battery only has about three flights on it I just got it to replace the other one that stopped working because of the battery draining completely the zero for a few days against my will so I don't think the battery could be messed up yet Thanks for the reply

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661