DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who Regularly Checks NOTAMS?

I live near an airport, CYZD where Bombardier Aerospace builds the Q400 and the Global Express Business Jets. I am a retired RCAF officer and pilot. I was my squadrons flight safety officer. I have been flying since I was 16 (50 now) and when I fly my drone, I have a portable aviation radio on the guard and tower frequency. I check NOTAMS, and the weather because I like to be prepared and aware of what is going on above me. While our drones are small, getting it sucked into an engine or through someone windshield on a take off or landing would certainly ruin someones day.

Also governments tend to over regulate things that uninformed citizens don't know about but want some one to do something, anything to protect them from the unknown. So every time one of us does something stupid with a drone gives a politician a reason to create a new rule or regulation. If we want to be taken seriously as a hobby and un regulated we need to pay more attention to flight safety.

I would never criticize someone for being too prepared or too careful. We could use some more people that take safety seriously.

Per Audra Ad Astra!

Huh? I don't recall inferring I was an "expert aviator" nor did I mention anything snobby.

Ironically, I was making fun of a guy who flies a $1000 drone who thinks he's an aviator or pilot.

My point and opinion was that people place far too much emphasis on flying a commercial toy drone. They are not pilots, don't need to consult NOTAMS, and certainly don't need a 75 point checklist prior to flight.

Don't take yourself so seriously; it's a toy drone and it's not that important no matter how much you think it is. People like that is what jeopardizes the "hobby" because they make it so serious and it starts to become so serious. Trust me, it's not.

People should have a much more relaxed attitude towards commercial drones. They are fun little toys for the most part. Not serious flying machines controlled by serious pilots.

Contrary to people on this board, little 2lb. Mavic drones aren't dangerous to crowds, downing airliners, terrorizing the unsuspecting public, eating babies, causing Governments to fall, or any real danger to anyone or anything.

Do you "pilots" conduct a 75 point checklist before you drive your vehicle for the day? Do you consult DOT every time you drive to work? Do you call yourself a NASCAR driver because you have an expensive and fast car?

I have had a 5 pound hawk go through my windscreen on a takeoff, let me tell you it made my take off and my emergency landing lot more interesting.

More then once I have headed out to fly around a little only to find out Mavic was grounded via DJI because of a local TFR, “VIP Movement”.
So now I check NOTAMS ahead of time so I won’t be grounded unexpectedly.

If you keep the thing below 200 ft and you keep it in LOS You should never have a problem besides a rouge bird. Any higher or out of your sight is reckless. These things are really just expensive flying cameras, Not aircraft that need all the rights of a manned flight. Jeez. Go take some flying lessons and I'm sure you will look at the whole thing differently. Fly out of your local airport in a small plane s few times and I bet you never want to fly a drone near an airport again.
So the fact is I have had flight training. I have flown out of my local airport in small and large planes, and YES I do believe that these drones are aircraft and anyone who thinks they aren't are just fooling themselves. Whether you believe it or not the day is going to come when pilots as we know them today, and have known them since 1903, will be a thing of the past. Don't think so? Look at how drones in the military have replaced in aircraft pilots just in the last 15 years. Passenger planes can fly themselves for the majority of the flight now, and if you are 40 years old or younger, chances are they will be autonomous within your lifetime. AND I know there will be those out there that THINK that you can never replace a person in the cockpit, but it is coming. Just look at autonomous cars and Semi Trucks, they are already here and within 10 years they will be common place in the streets. So you may as well embrace the future and figure out now how you are going to integrate all of these things in the national airspace.

Check NOTAMS? Seriously? This makes me laugh. I check my battery levels. Then I check my props. Then I check I have a memory card installed and formatted. Then I check the wind.
That's my "Checking limit" .
Then I launch.

Reactions: Obi~wan
I check notams regularly, and always when I fly for a commercial job. Only by checking the notams I found out that the airspace around my house (where I fly for my own fun) was closed for three months from 0ft - 2000ft to stop bird flu to be transferred to other areas by migrating birds disturbed by low flying aircraft. The local rangers, I fly inspections for them regularly, also read notams daily and were extremely keen on spotting and catching offenders, drones, helis or aircraft.

Reading the notam was really the only way to have known this.

I don't check notams regularly, but I do frequently look at aviation charts. Especially if flying at a new location.

I like skyvector.com

This website also includes future and active TFRs drawn on the chart.

So the fact is I have had flight training. I have flown out of my local airport in small and large planes, and YES I do believe that these drones are aircraft and anyone who thinks they aren't are just fooling themselves. Whether you believe it or not the day is going to come when pilots as we know them today, and have known them since 1903, will be a thing of the past. Don't think so? Look at how drones in the military have replaced in aircraft pilots just in the last 15 years. Passenger planes can fly themselves for the majority of the flight now, and if you are 40 years old or younger, chances are they will be autonomous within your lifetime. AND I know there will be those out there that THINK that you can never replace a person in the cockpit, but it is coming. Just look at autonomous cars and Semi Trucks, they are already here and within 10 years they will be common place in the streets. So you may as well embrace the future and figure out now how you are going to integrate all of these things in the national airspace.[/

Call them whatever you want. But just because u have a car doesn't mean you can drive it down the board walk or through a shopping mall. If you own a gun should you be able to shoot it Anywhere you want? Just do all private pilots a favor and keep your "aircraft" below 200', In Your LOS and away from airports. If you want to do more then that I think your being silly, and perhaps single engine props would be a better hobby for you. Then you can really go just about anywhere you want. And you will have a real reason to check notams and look for tfr's.

Check NOTAMs every time a fly ... but only because they are integrated into the NATS (UK CAA sponsored flight safety app) app and I do check that every time I fly. I don't think such information hurts or hinders, takes just a second, like checking the weather.

It would be nice if Airmap and others included NOTAMs into their search parameters (as they do with TFRs). I always check Skyvector for NOTAMs, as here in our area, many surveying firms (like I work for) file them for ongoing UAS work. So it's nice to see what's going on and what areas were approved for access (some even beside major airports in surface restricted airspace). We typically file NOTAMs for most projects that are in close proximity to airports or air patterns. Whether aviation looks at them, is another subject (I know in fact, helicopter pilots do not---as my area has the most helio traffic in the U.S. and they kinda do what they want...)

I normally check "Can i fly there" the CASA app that has both forecasts and controlled airspace shown. I dont want to drive 10km and then find for some reason i cant fly.

I am an inactive PPL with 1000hrs so do fit the definition of pilot, and spent a lifetime in an industry where safety is no. 1 consideration so a little checking is natural. Some days my UAV is a toy, others it is a tool. Same rules apply both days.

Reactions: TerreDrone
Check NOTAMs every time a fly ... but only because they are integrated into the NATS (UK CAA sponsored flight safety app) app and I do check that every time I fly. I don't think such information hurts or hinders, takes just a second, like checking the weather.

Same here, although very very few have any effect at >400 ft.
Those who take advantage of the current lack of height restrictions on recreational flight in their country might be well advised to do likewise, takes little time

There's a guy in my flying group (also forum member) who regularly checks NOTAMS and actually carries a scanner with him.

I do the same. Living inside of the outer 30 mile ring of the Washington, D.C. SFRA (yet outside of the inner ring) and inside of class D airspace, I don't want to take any chances. I also call the tower to advise them of my flight. However, I'm going to finally take the 107 test next month so I can take advantage of LAANC for automated approvals to avoid that hassle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman