DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who thinks the Mini 3 Pro has hardware necessary for autonomous waypoint missions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mavic 3 certainly has had video waypoints enabled recently via a firmware upgrade, but I'm fairly sure the mini3pro hasn't had waypoints added (outside of hyperlapse). I Have a mini3pro and have applied the update and I don't have waypoints.

Regarding the normal and plus batteries. They are physically the same size so either will fit in, and charge, from the standard hub @dirkclod has shown a picture of. I have the standard batteries and there's an empty void inside them

I'll see if I can find the link.
I did look twice to make sure, but you never know.

The Mavic 3 certainly has had video waypoints enabled recently via a firmware upgrade, but I'm fairly sure the mini3pro hasn't had waypoints added (outside of hyperlapse). I Have a mini3pro and have applied the update and I don't have waypoints.

Regarding the normal and plus batteries. They are physically the same size so either will fit in, and charge, from the standard hub @dirkclod has shown a picture of. I have the standard batteries and there's an empty void inside them
Ok thanks another member that has the M3P just told me his didnt
do video waypoints but I was just going by that video I posted. He said it does but you know you can see some of them are just wrong 🤷‍♂️
Thanks 👍👍

I think you're right, it was the Mini 3, not the Pro.

But I would take from that, that the Pro won't be far behind...😉

Just had a look at the video, and sadly it's the Mavic 3 only that gets waypoints at this time. No waypoints for the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro. 😒. See the update notes shown at 00:07 and 00:48 - they're pretty clear that it's only the Mavic 3. The screen recording at 01:00 is from the bigger Mavic 3 (not either of the mini 3 versions).

We can continue to wish and hope, and just get out flying and having fun while the debate rages on whether the mini 3(pro) has/will get in an update/has the right hardware for waypoints. 😄

Reactions: dirkclod
My bad guess I just didn’t pay enough attention and took it wrong. 🤷‍♂️

I think the Mini 3 Pro definitely has the hardware for Waypoint missions but currently DJI is not supporting waypoints on the M3P. I have both the Mavic 3 and the Mini 3 Pro and have done the latest update and as others have stated there is no waypoints on the Mini 3 Pro other than through Hyperlapse. Is it capable of waypoints? Most definitely. I can run waypoint missions on my old my Phantom 3 standard via Litchi and Dronelink because the SDK has been released.

Maybe once DJI works out the bugs in the Waypoints implementation on the Mavic 3, they will bring it to the Mini 3 Pro as that drone is more pro oriented and has O3 transmission and can be used with the RC Pro controller. I don't think they will bring waypoints to the low end Mini 3 drone that just came out though because they will have to differentiate the the two drones.

Chris

The link I posted above, which doesn't work, definitely states that the Mini 3 got waypoints in the same update as the Mavic 3. Just not the Pro, which I think will get the update shortly.

Reactions: dirkclod
The link I posted above, which doesn't work, definitely states that the Mini 3 got waypoints in the same update as the Mavic 3. Just not the Pro, which I think will get the update shortly.
Hmm, can you reference a timestamp where the video talks about the mini 3 getting waypoints? I just watched what I think is the right video and didn't pick up anything saying the mini3 having waypoints now?! I hope I'm wrong!

This is the video I was watching:

Reactions: Jake 61
I think the Mini 3 Pro definitely has the hardware for Waypoint missions
Without question. The Mini SE has the hardware for autonomous waypoints. The hardware necessary is a GPS module and a CPU with sufficient processing power to execute the code without delaying any other processing.

That has been the case for several generationsMinis. of DJI products. The processing load to execute waypoints is small, this is how features like Quickshots can be implemented on the minis.

Hmm, can you reference a timestamp where the video talks about the mini 3 getting waypoints? I just watched what I think is the right video and didn't pick up anything saying the mini3 having waypoints now?! I hope I'm wrong!

This is the video I was watching:

Yes, it's at exactly 1.00 minute in.
He mentions the hyperlapse waypoints, then says you can now do it in video.

Reactions: scro and dirkclod
Now the question is: Who thinks the Mini 3 Pro actually has the necessary hardware to support autonomous waypoint mission?
It can handle waypoints for hyperlapse, so can obviously handle waypoints in some form. Don't know if those are autonomous or not.

I'd like them for regular video, as my stickwork is still rather jerky and I need my Mavic 2 when I want smooth multiple-motion video. But I doubt we'll get them.

Mini 3 absolutely has the hardware available for it (most of the internals of all the DJI drones processing wise are identical). It really isn't any more than a few lines of code and certainly less intensive than tracking and other tasks. Hyperlapse waypoints are already using the same codebase.

Its 100% a deliberate decision to not allow it. Same as the SDK.

Reactions: BroomRider
Now I'm confused. If the waypoints are enabled via a Fly app upgrade, they're just virtual joysticks, right? Not autonomous. Meaning the drone still needs to be connected to the controller to complete the mission.

Reactions: basyok
Now I'm confused. If the waypoints are enabled via a Fly app upgrade, they're just virtual joysticks, right? Not autonomous. Meaning the drone still needs to be connected to the controller to complete the mission.
Nope. Autonomous waypoints are uploaded to the drone and flown onboard itself. No sticks needed. I think a maximum of 50 at a time from memory.

Virtual sticks only came around as a method when DJI pulled autonomous waypoints from the firmware of newer drones and were a hack to perform the role without it.

FWIW i can see autonomous missions being very dodgy legally with VLOS and constant C2 link requirements.

Reactions: thispilothere
Nope. Autonomous waypoints are uploaded to the drone and flown onboard itself. No sticks needed. I think a maximum of 50 at a time from memory.

Virtual sticks only came around as a method when DJI pulled autonomous waypoints from the firmware of newer drones and were a hack to perform the role without it.

FWIW i can see autonomous missions being very dodgy legally with VLOS and constant C2 link requirements.
So, if I turn off the controller while the drone is flying, it can't broadcast my location. Interesting.

So, if I turn off the controller while the drone is flying, it can't broadcast my location. Interesting.
The drone always broadcasts its location, the home point location and the last known controller location.

Waypoints would be nice. If we had time, that's how we'd do it in the helicopter.
Fly to number one, mark position, fly to number two, mark position. Repeat as necessary.

Makes multiple takes easy. "OK, take two. Move back to position one"

Me, I'd take cruise control over waypoints if I had to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S