DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why all the anger to registering your drone

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
i find it a tad strange, that so many people here in the UK, and in other parts of the world get so worked up about drone registration,and paying a charge for it
if i want to do anything recreational in this day and age there is a cost of some sort if i go fishing i need a licence or permit, if i want to drive a vehicle i need a licence,i even have to pay to park my car if i want to fly in my local council park
everything we do today has a cost, to achieve the end result, its the way of the world ,we are taxed by the back door in so many ways and it isnt going to change any time soon

Personally speaking I’m not in principle against registration, what I’m against is the way drones have been demonised in the UK. 12 months on from the alleged drone incursion at Gatwick Airport and still no evidence has been forthcoming, all those Police, military, security staff, airport staff, grounded passengers, media and not a single photo or video, don’t forget the airports counter measures didn’t work either. Further to this I suggest anybody watch the Government select committee televised debate, it was an absolute joke, the only person that had anything to say with any merit was the DJI representative. During this debate a representative of the CAA classed all drone pilots as either, Careless, Clueless or Criminal! Many countries charge a small fee for a number of years registration, what do I get for my £9 per year? Nothing, unfortunately the airspace we use for our hobby is of real value once commercial drone deliveries get the go ahead in the coming years and the government and CAA want us out of that space. PS that wasn’t a rant at you old man mavic ?

Personally speaking I’m not in principle against registration, what I’m against is the way drones have been demonised in the UK. 12 months on from the alleged drone incursion at Gatwick Airport and still no evidence has been forthcoming, all those Police, military, security staff, airport staff, grounded passengers, media and not a single photo or video, don’t forget the airports counter measures didn’t work either. Further to this I suggest anybody watch the Government select committee televised debate, it was an absolute joke, the only person that had anything to say with any merit was the DJI representative. During this debate a representative of the CAA classed all drone pilots as either, Careless, Clueless or Criminal! Many countries charge a small fee for a number of years registration, what do I get for my £9 per year? Nothing, unfortunately the airspace we use for our hobby is of real value once commercial drone deliveries get the go ahead in the coming years and the government and CAA want us out of that space. PS that wasn’t a rant at you old man mavic ?
no worries, my post was not to say that i am a fan of the way that the whole scheme has been rolled out, it was more along the lines, of there is a cost to everything we do today no matter what it is and if that is what it takes less than a pound a month to fly my drone then i have no complaint with that if people choose to ignore it then they will have to put up with the fines that they may end up getting,i agree with the Gatwick fiasco if people ever mention it to me, i ask them to show me pictures of the so called drones that were supposed to be there

Reactions: TDZHDTV
My gosh, the BBC has been charging a TV tax forever, complete with scanner vans roaming the streets. :). IMHO, the issue is a very small number of people are misusing everything from drones to epoxy glue to bring attention to their 'cause'.....whether bona fide, or crackpot. That small group is affecting UAV hobbiests who are normal, without agenda, don't land atop Buckingham....and now must pay, via time or money, due to those idiots. In today's Facebook driven media, 1 bonehead's move can make them rich. As an American, I don't mind at all registration, but I don't fly over airports, or land at the Whitehouse. Sadly, some do. :)

the good of the many have always had to pay for the sins of the few thats nothing new

we are taxed by the back door in so many ways and it isnt going to change any time soon

Ha ha yeah, every time GOVCOs worldwide need a little financial top off to cover their financial blunders and waste, they just introduce something new for their constituents.
These schemes has ongoing costs, and still doesn't really solve issues of non compliance with rego / licence side of things, the cowboy flyers will still fly drones irresponsibly, and not label them etc.
(There are a LOT of comparable laws, but I won't mention them here.)
Unless there is PROACTIVE enforcement in a real way, it will just be like a lot of current laws across the board that don't get enforced properly.

Personally I think DJIs intent with the sub 250g (or sub 200g in Japan) is to avoid the hassles of registration / licensing for travellers.
That is my take on it mostly, going through a few countries has enough other stuff to think about already, just looking up the local drone rules and sticking with them is a great advantage.

Registration and licencing as a hobbyist in your own country is no problems, just the usual little bit of angst about GOVCO .

Reactions: old man mavic
I can't speak for the UK specifically but you mention registration throughout the world.

I don't know of any complaints over the cost.

Many of the fees you mention are not related in any way to drone registration.

One reason I'm against the US registration is that it serves to real purpose. The FAA claimed the hard part was not getting the drone, it was matching the drone to the owner. It was a lie then, it is a lie today. How many times has the US registration been used to match an illegal flight to an owner? The answer is zero. IMHO the US registration was created for two reasons, to push information to people who registered and to make it look like the FAA was doing something about this huge drone "problem".

Even the FAA is agreeing the registration does nothing. They then created more rules, are working to complete older ones and wanting to come up with a way of tracking drones. I guess getting the drone _was_ a problem after all.

Problem I have with the registration is that it serves no real purpose. I'd have less of a problem with it if they left it at that. Instead this will be a classic example how stacking laws on top of laws with the end result being we have a book of laws governing something as simple as flying a drone for an hour on a Saturday.

I can't speak for the UK specifically but you mention registration throughout the world.

I don't know of any complaints over the cost.

Many of the fees you mention are not related in any way to drone registration.

One reason I'm against the US registration is that it serves to real purpose. The FAA claimed the hard part was not getting the drone, it was matching the drone to the owner. It was a lie then, it is a lie today. How many times has the US registration been used to match an illegal flight to an owner? The answer is zero. IMHO the US registration was created for two reasons, to push information to people who registered and to make it look like the FAA was doing something about this huge drone "problem".

Even the FAA is agreeing the registration does nothing. They then created more rules, are working to complete older ones and wanting to come up with a way of tracking drones. I guess getting the drone _was_ a problem after all.

Problem I have with the registration is that it serves no real purpose. I'd have less of a problem with it if they left it at that. Instead this will be a classic example how stacking laws on top of laws with the end result being we have a book of laws governing something as simple as flying a drone for an hour on a Saturday.

To offer a counter view on your opening statement, The recent Las Vegas incident (fly away that landed on airport) is how the system of registration can help lead to reckless operators.
1, Person flying in restricted airspace W/O clearance
2. Reckless operations of UAV ( not researching possible hazards before flight)
3. Bragging online about conducting such operations

The old saying I use " When you failed to plan, you just planned to fail" or the six P's "Piss poor Performance is a result of Piss poor planning"

i find it a tad strange, that so many people here in the UK, and in other parts of the world get so worked up about drone registration,and paying a charge for it
if i want to do anything recreational in this day and age there is a cost of some sort if i go fishing i need a licence or permit, if i want to drive a vehicle i need a licence,i even have to pay to park my car if i want to fly in my local council park
everything we do today has a cost, to achieve the end result, its the way of the world ,we are taxed by the back door in so many ways and it isnt going to change any time soon
Don’t forget The carbon dioxide emissions trading, even if and when I farts I probably have to pay for it in The future.

To offer a counter view on your opening statement, The recent Las Vegas incident (fly away that landed on airport) is how the system of registration can help lead to reckless operators.
1, Person flying in restricted airspace W/O clearance
2. Reckless operations of UAV ( not researching possible hazards before flight)
3. Bragging online about conducting such operations

The old saying I use " When you failed to plan, you just planned to fail" or the six P's "Piss poor Performance is a result of Piss poor planning"
I have had not yet had a chance to look at that case as it is very recent. I'd agree that the done registration was used in that case on an illegal flight. As such, there is now _one_ case in the past 5 or 6 years the registration has been enforce. Still, hardly a screaming endorsement for its success. So, millions of flights, many illegal flights and it has been used once.

Another thing if registration led to finding the drone owner why can't they tell us who owns all those lost and found drones we hear people asking the FAA for owner info and they don't give it . Ok They site privacy issues but I'm sure the FAA could reach out and tell the owner his 1200dolar drone was found and call this number gessh.

Reactions: Gindra
Another thing if registration led to finding the drone owner why can't they tell us who owns all those lost and found drones we hear people asking the FAA for owner info and they don't give it . Ok They site privacy issues but I'm sure the FAA could reach out and tell the owner his 1200dolar drone was found and call this number gessh.
First your complaining about government (big Brother watching you) then you want the government to baby sit you for your mistakes....lol
They can take the I.R.S approach and contact you with a fine assuming you lost your drone due to illegal flying, will that make you feel better.

... if i want to drive a vehicle i need a licence,i even have to pay to park my car if i want to fly in my local council park...

According to the CAA website, you aren't allowed to fly in your local park, so you may as well save the cost of the parking ticket.

honestly, if you keep reading enough, buying my son his xmas present is enough to get me locked up.

Reactions: migmatite67
In my opinion, what's missing here is a view of the wider picture! If everything stayed as it was now, or even as it was a couple of years ago - then perhaps there would be little value in a Drone registration scheme in any country. However, things are not staying the same ... In the next couple of years, we'll see a lot more use of UAV's as 'autonomous' delivery vehicles for food, medicine, mechanical parts - you name it. We are even seeing growth in people-carrying aircraft based on UAV tech'. Aviation authorities know that they have to mesh that lot in with; Civil Aviation, General aviation, Military aviation - and with recreational & commercial UAV use. An operator registration scheme is the ONLY way that we - as commercial & recreational UAV users - have to show our numbers so that we are considered a responsible and operational part of this whole airspace usage.
The crazy irony here is that refusing to register, will put us in a situation where we (rec' & comm' UAV operators), may appear to be a lot less of a population than we actually are - and therefore, the regulations being put into place will either treat us as an insignificant group to be regulated out of existence or given no say in how we operate. Or worse - we could be treated as a 'militant' entity that doesn't deserve any respect or consideration due to the [NATS] Careless, Clueless & Criminal way we operate our drones.

With Easa coming into force in July 2020 we’ll all have to register, what will be interesting is how our legacy AC are worked into the new framework, maybe DJI’s new Mini will be Recertified, but if they change its name in the process all us new Mini owners will be stuck at 150 m from property/ structures etc. All these new Mini owners who think they don't have to register do not realise this is coming.

Where did you read that?
Anybody that's registered in the UK (I haven't) should have read this :-
Where you can fly | UK Civil Aviation Authority

The part I'm reading is ~45% down the page:-

Never fly closer to built-up and busy areas than 150m.
Never fly above these areas at any height.
Examples of built-up and busy areas:
  • cities and towns
  • villages
  • beaches and recreational parks that are part of a city, town or village
  • housing estates
  • schools and offices
  • retail, warehouse, industrial and business parks
  • theme parks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads