DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why all the anger to registering your drone

Rogue pilots who just want bragging rights or show blatant stupidity are the one that have caused all the problems. They will always exist. What can be done about it, probably very little, a start would be to banish their posts from forums and places like Youtube, will that ever happen, I doubt it.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Built up and busy areas . . . as noted in the link above post #36, "The law refers to built-up and busy areas as congested areas."

The park at 0700 on a Sunday morning, or during the week when people are working, school, home etc, all good.
Same for beaches, ok when quiet, not so when crowds enjoying a sunny day at the beach (whoops, sorry, you won't see many of those there for a little while yet :D ).

I'm trying to understand how anybody can fly anywhere without breaking one of those rules, or applying for an exception.
As it is, we flew on the park on Wednesday and on a farmer's field today.

For sure the 150m built up area (indeed just the 50m above buildings is almost enough) does effectively ban flights in pretty much any urban area, unless you find a field or park you are allowed to fly, that is outside that zone to take off and land.
Your flights from the park and farmers field were possibly quite ok.

Maybe authorities are preparing the urban skies for autonomous commercial use drones.

Reactions: old man mavic
if i may ask without being offensive does it have GPS ,the small toy drones as you call it can be very hard to control, and they have a very limited range at the best of times ,it would probably not be able to go up to 120m, as it would be out of range at that height ,i agree that because of these things it does seem to be a dangerous toy ,and when you purchased it i doubt if anyone told you about it perhaps it would be better if you did not allow your son to fly it if you feel so strongly about it,its really no different to buying a toy bow and arrow which given the right circumstances could blind someone if it hit them in the eye

In my opinion, what's missing here is a view of the wider picture! If everything stayed as it was now, or even as it was a couple of years ago - then perhaps there would be little value in a Drone registration scheme in any country. However, things are not staying the same ... In the next couple of years, we'll see a lot more use of UAV's as 'autonomous' delivery vehicles for food, medicine, mechanical parts - you name it. We are even seeing growth in people-carrying aircraft based on UAV tech'. Aviation authorities know that they have to mesh that lot in with; Civil Aviation, General aviation, Military aviation - and with recreational & commercial UAV use. An operator registration scheme is the ONLY way that we - as commercial & recreational UAV users - have to show our numbers so that we are considered a responsible and operational part of this whole airspace usage.
The crazy irony here is that refusing to register, will put us in a situation where we (rec' & comm' UAV operators), may appear to be a lot less of a population than we actually are - and therefore, the regulations being put into place will either treat us as an insignificant group to be regulated out of existence or given no say in how we operate. Or worse - we could be treated as a 'militant' entity that doesn't deserve any respect or consideration due to the [NATS] Careless, Clueless & Criminal way we operate our drones.
You are now commenting on commercial flying which is a completly different animal.

You are now commenting on commercial flying which is a completly different animal.
while the need to hold a commercial licence is based on being able to accept payment for flying your UAV,the actual act of flying the UAV is exactly the same, we are all doing the same thing and at the end of the day ,we need to make,everyone more accountable when it comes to flying any UAV with similar capabilities regardless of why it is being flown

Unfortunately if you are the sort of person to fly over an airport i doubt that you will register your drone before you do it, extinction rebellion was caught planning to do that very thing to disrupt the airports but was stopped before it happened, no amount of registration will stop the morons from trying to ruin our hobby, i don't mind registration but where does the money go to, don't the government get enough to waste already?

Reactions: deleted member 877
IMHO the Mavic Mimi was conceived to permit a rapid deployment for the international traveler. If that is all an individual wants to do (rapid deployment) with the drone, go for it. Registering a drone does not incur any invasion of one’s privacy, nor does it inhibit one’s ability to pilot. If any thing, registering a drone would most likely serve to heighten one’s knowledge of the safety aspects of being a drone pilot, producing a more alert and responsible pilot. If one is looking for the ultra small, super fast FPVs, then the MM is in the wrong category. It’s simply a rapid deploy, go up, take pictures/videos, come down, and go home!

Reactions: old man mavic
IMHO the Mavic Mimi was conceived to permit a rapid deployment for the international traveler. If that is all an individual wants to do (rapid deployment) with the drone, go for it. Registering a drone does not incur any invasion of one’s privacy, nor does it inhibit one’s ability to pilot. If any thing, registering a drone would most likely serve to heighten one’s knowledge of the safety aspects of being a drone pilot, producing a more alert and responsible pilot.

I agree registering in your own country, doing whatever basic hobbyist licencing etc, are both good to do even if operating sub 250g like the mini.
Why not.

Travel is a different matter, so making it easy on ones self and still flying to a countries rules (add common sense too in many places) is a good thing.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
I agree registering in your own country, doing whatever basic hobbyist licencing etc, are both good to do even if operating sub 250g like the mini.
Why not.

Travel is a different matter, so making it easy on ones self and still flying to a countries rules (add common sense too in many places) is a good thing.
Come July 2020 new EASA regulationi in Europe and the UK will require anything with data capture (a camera) to be registered regardless of weight, not sure how that will affect visitors.

Come July 2020 new EASA regulationi in Europe and the UK will require anything with data capture (a camera) to be registered regardless of weight, not sure how that will affect visitors.

Ah, the "less then 250g when it is not a toy and it is equipped with a sensor able to capture personal data" thing again.
Why don't they say data or photographs / video, and make it clear then what they consider data ?

Data by its clear definition is "facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis."
Like mapping an area, or statistical information on agriculture.

Rogue pilots who just want bragging rights or show blatant stupidity are the one that have caused all the problems. They will always exist. What can be done about it, probably very little, a start would be to banish their posts from forums and places like Youtube, will that ever happen, I doubt it.

What he said !

if i may ask without being offensive does it have GPS ,the small toy drones as you call it can be very hard to control, and they have a very limited range at the best of times ,it would probably not be able to go up to 120m, as it would be out of range at that height ,i agree that because of these things it does seem to be a dangerous toy ,and when you purchased it i doubt if anyone told you about it perhaps it would be better if you did not allow your son to fly it if you feel so strongly about it,its really no different to buying a toy bow and arrow which given the right circumstances could blind someone if it hit them in the eye
It's not an offensive question, and no, it isn't GPS equipped.

He's actually pretty good at flying it, he's spent more time than I know about playing RC simulators on the iPad. Obviously the consequences aren't the same, but he has a grasp of the basic idea, enough to give me time to take a couple of photo's of him flying it.

The thing was incredibly cheap, £37 delivered with 3 batteries included. This allows us to evaluate if we want to take the hobby further. As you've already intimated we've had our £37 worth back already in shared family time together.

while the need to hold a commercial licence is based on being able to accept payment for flying your UAV,the actual act of flying the UAV is exactly the same, we are all doing the same thing and at the end of the day ,we need to make,everyone more accountable when it comes to flying any UAV with similar capabilities regardless of why it is being flown
Autonomous deliveries is not the same thing as someone flying their Mavic commercially. Autonomous deliveries will have their own unique set of rules this is why it is different and not what is being discussed.

In my opinion, what's missing here is a view of the wider picture! If everything stayed as it was now, or even as it was a couple of years ago - then perhaps there would be little value in a Drone registration scheme in any country. However, things are not staying the same ... In the next couple of years, we'll see a lot more use of UAV's as 'autonomous' delivery vehicles for food, medicine, mechanical parts - you name it. We are even seeing growth in people-carrying aircraft based on UAV tech'. Aviation authorities know that they have to mesh that lot in with; Civil Aviation, General aviation, Military aviation - and with recreational & commercial UAV use. An operator registration scheme is the ONLY way that we - as commercial & recreational UAV users - have to show our numbers so that we are considered a responsible and operational part of this whole airspace usage.
The crazy irony here is that refusing to register, will put us in a situation where we (rec' & comm' UAV operators), may appear to be a lot less of a population than we actually are - and therefore, the regulations being put into place will either treat us as an insignificant group to be regulated out of existence or given no say in how we operate. Or worse - we could be treated as a 'militant' entity that doesn't deserve any respect or consideration due to the [NATS] Careless, Clueless & Criminal way we operate our drones.
Delivery uavs are already being used here in Canada to deliver meds etc. to some remote communities in our northern territories. I expect the company doing this is using it as a test for its equipment and business model.

Don’t forget The carbon dioxide emissions trading, even if and when I farts I probably have to pay for it in The future.
sorry but that would fall under the METHANE tax....

The idiots that get the hobby a bad name aren’t likely to register

much better idea would be to have a sizeable license fee payable at point of purchase same as you have to have a gun license to buy a gun. Far more likely to prevent trivial idiots getting involved than the retrospective registration / charge that has now been implemented and is easily avoided

The idiots that get the hobby a bad name aren’t likely to register

much better idea would be to have a sizeable license fee payable at point of purchase same as you have to have a gun license to buy a gun. Far more likely to prevent trivial idiots getting involved than the retrospective registration / charge that has now been implemented and is easily avoided
GUNs: In the State of Colorado I don’t have to have a license to buy a gun!!! The dealer is required a license to sell!!! If I sell to a non-immediate family member, then yes a background check is required for citizen to citizen. Which means a direct to direct family member no check is required!

1577559480542.png

i find it a tad strange, that so many people here in the UK, and in other parts of the world get so worked up about drone registration,and paying a charge for it
if i want to do anything recreational in this day and age there is a cost of some sort if i go fishing i need a licence or permit, if i want to drive a vehicle i need a licence,i even have to pay to park my car if i want to fly in my local council park
everything we do today has a cost, to achieve the end result, its the way of the world ,we are taxed by the back door in so many ways and it isnt going to change any time soon

I find it a tad strange that the Brits are so willing to believe that more government regulations is somehow compatible with the concept of being free.
Laws are written by politicians who literally do not know the subject matter. They are influenced by media and people with agendas.

Reactions: Drgnfli and TDZHDTV
Delivery uavs are already being used here in Canada to deliver meds etc. to some remote communities in our northern territories. I expect the company doing this is using it as a test for its equipment and business model.

Is that the zipline people ?
They are doing great in Rwanda, Ghana.

Swiss have also been using drones for medical delivery, one has crashed previously into a lake there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife