DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are my 4K recordings maxing out at 3.67GB?

Ran4

Reactions
Whenever I record a 4K video that's longer than around 5 minutes, the software is automatically splitting into multiple files. ...and each will max out at 3.670GB. I've already stayed in the air recording for 15 minutes or more, and each time I'll have 3 or more separate files on the SD card.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Whenever I record a 4K video that's longer than around 5 minutes, the software is automatically splitting into multiple files. ...and each will max out at 3.670GB. I've already stayed in the air recording for 15 minutes or more, and each time I'll have 3 or more separate files on the SD card.

You cannot change that, its done by default .

Reactions: Thomas B and Ran4
Thanks. Yes, a Google search has yielded me the same answer. So, I suppose the only way to get a longer 'uncut' video is to downgrade the camera setting to 2.7K or 1080p, and/or a slower frame rate, right? When I fly tomorrow, I'll experiment with 2.7K and 1080p..
Just join the vids end to end in post.

I think you're bumping into the max file size on the SD card.

Reactions: Ran4 and Thomas B
If the card is 32GB or less, then it would be formatted FAT32, which has a file size limitation of 4GB. EXFat, used when card size is greater than 32GB, can handle bigger file sizes, but DJI probably wants to stick with the lowest common denominator. Probably too they did that so if one was copying the file to another storage formatted FAT32, the copy won't fail and confuse the user.

If the card is 32GB or less, then it would be formatted FAT32, which has a file size limitation of 4GB. EXFat, used when card size is greater than 32GB, can handle bigger file sizes, but DJI probably wants to stick with the lowest common denominator. Probably too they did that so if one was copying the file to another storage formatted FAT32, the copy won't fail and confuse the user.
The limitation is the AVI container, it uses 32bit addressing- 2^32=4GB.

Ya got me - I need to pay more attention to which forum I post in.
My drones format a freshly wiped SD card as Exfat by default.

No. It’s a max file size of FAT32. View attachment 114425
It does not matter if your right. This subject has been discussed in other post and the answer is still...... DJI sets the limit.
If you do not believe me then check the other post here and on DJI forum.
It does not matter if it is FAT32 or Exfat.

...and for the record, it's not just a DJI thing. I know for sure that Autel drones do the same thing

Having the ability to record 4K/60 fps and back to 2.7/60...do not do it. The video longer than 5 minutes will be splited again, so you will not have something better here, but you will lose the amazing 4K/60 video...just use some software and join the parts...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet