DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Buy a Bound Drone?

Dr.Sparky

Reactions
I've seen several different drones listed on eBay, as "parts only" for drones that are in very good condition, but are bound to a different account. Other than actually using them as a source of spare parts is there a reason why people would purchase these?
Am I missing something?

If all the parts are there then thats worth some good money to a repair guy. They will sell the controller on eBay fast for 250 to 350 then they have all the boards to use (not exactly cheap) and the 3 possibly 4 other wings.

The person who buys the drone in the listing needs to know that no amount of repair work will get this drone to fly and therefore the listing is targeted to those who will be buying for parts only. Some people will buy these listings and make the necessary repairs to try to restore to a certain level of usefulness but that cannot happen with this drone. Unfortunately not everyone will know that.

The gimble looks like it took a pretty good hit so yep thats gonna cost ya $350 just for the part Maybe $300 then the New leg or wing $100-$150T. the sensors are pretty fragile so if they took a direct hit you can throw in a sensor or two $100 $150 not to mention the fact that you will need the proper tools and know-how to solder and assemble this all back together.
To make this one new again would cost you pretty much same as new or a little more even

That was merely an example of an ad, someone asked to see one. I am not looking to buy a bound drone and wondered why anyone else would either.
Understood. It is still early in the drone market and not everyone understands what a "bound" drone means. Even in this drone forum, we have people who don't fully understand it. I don't think DJI fully understands it. At this point, to my knowledge, a bound drone for sale on ebay means it is 99% never ever going to fly ever again. Unless you find someone with the power (hacker, DJI) then a listing like this is good for parts only. The buyer cannot invest a few additional dollars to get it into reasonable working order (doesn't have to be brought up to new condition) and then use it as a drone. It is a drone brick with drone parts attached to it. Lots of ebay buyers still don't know that. But the listing is good for experienced parts scavengers. To me, that listing is only worth about $150 tops. This is just my opinion.

Isn't it also likely that the controller is bound to the drone? If so, WAY, WAY overpriced IMO.

Understood. It is still early in the drone market and not everyone understands what a "bound" drone means. Even in this drone forum, we have people who don't fully understand it. I don't think DJI fully understands it. At this point, to my knowledge, a bound drone for sale on ebay means it is 99% never ever going to fly ever again.

😀😀😃😃😄😄😁😁😆😆😅😅🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

To me, that listing is only worth about $150 tops. This is just my opinion.

To me and 99.9% of DJI drone owners that listing is worth $0, as we're not doing major repairs on our drones.

Doesn't matter that I'm an engineer and could build my drones from the ground up with a bag of parts.

I don't want to.

As you get into your senior years, lots of stuff you used to do you'd much rather pay someone else to do. Time gets more precious. I don't work on my cars any more. I don't wash them myself any more. Professionals are hired to fix most things with the house.

The list goes on. Unless I find it fun, I don't do it myself any more. I'd rather spend that time enjoying myself. I used to change plumbing fixtures to save money, and it was always a source of pride to be a Renaissance Man badass that could do just about anything and everything.

Then I turned 60. 🤣

Last edited:
YOU dont need to be logged into DJI account to fly i have been flying two aircraft which were logged in
and they flew well.

But what i didnt know was the range was restricted .only found this
out by making an account and logging in i can now fly a lot further

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc