DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Why did my mini 3 pro do this?

Why did it not stich my photo right? This is how it came out.
The inbuilt stitching feature isn't a great stitching program.
Yours had difficulty matching points on the adjacent images and ended up giving you a stepped horizon.
A dedicated stitching program might have done a better job stitching individual images than the in-camera feature.

Reactions: Dronecation
The inbuilt stitching feature isn't a great stitching program.
Yours had difficulty matching points on the adjacent images and ended up giving you a stepped horizon.
A dedicated stitching program might have done a better job stitching individual images than the in-camera feature.
I didn't know that. I thought it should work ok since it is pushed as a selling point. 7
I have so much to learn on the Mini 3 pro. I have only flown Phantoms. I forgot that I can pan up and not get the props in the pictures. I never figured out the sphere. Does that take an editing program?

This can sometimes also happen if its windy an the picture taken is not in sync as this looks like it was taken at 400 ft .
I can recognize by watching the pictures taken when there is a picture out of step , and restart the process.

I mention this because the Mini 3 has a weak gimbal in the wind , so if it was windy this could be the reason. or that the software was not able to match its points, but the Mini 3 has worked really well for me except in those high winds pics.

The much better way to do this no matter the winds is to take Manual Pictures snapping when the wind lets up and stitching it all back together in adobe Light Room as they make it very easy.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain < Land on the Water.

Last edited:
The much better way to do this no matter the winds is to take Manual Pictures snapping when the wind lets up and stitching it all back together in adobe Light Room as they make it very easy.
That issue has nothing to do with wind.
It's all about a basic stitching problem having trouble when the scene doesn't have enough recognisable points for it to match in adjacent images.
It's very common when there is a long water horizon in the panorama.

Wind will affect the gimbal and subsequent stitching

Wind will affect the gimbal and subsequent stitching
The effect shown can happen in perfectly still conditions and has nothing to do with wind or camera movement.
Panorama stitching isn't affected by small movements of the camera.
Even basic stitching software isn't bothered by small changes in camera angle and position.
It matches pairs of points and moves and turns the individual images to align the images to stitch.

Here is an 8-image pano roughly shot by hand.
Note how the camera has moved between individual images, but the stitching software has no problem properly stitching.
i-dh9Cm2T-XL.jpg

But any stitching software can have problems with matching horizons when detail is indistinct below the horizon and the sky above offers no distinct points to match.
Basic software shows this problem even more.
That's the issue shown by the OP.
i-xbPDJbG-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RaptoRider83
The effect shown can happen in perfectly still conditions and has nothing to do with wind or camera movement.
Panorama stitching isn't affected by small movements of the camera.
Even basic stitching software isn't bothered by small changes in camera angle and position.
It matches pairs of points and moves and turns the individual images to align the images to stitch.

Here is an 8-image pano roughly shot by hand.
Note how the camera has moved between individual images, but the stitching software has no problem properly stitching.
i-dh9Cm2T-XL.jpg

But any stitching software can have problems with matching horizons when detail is indictinct below the horizon and the sky above offers no distinct points to match.
Basic software shows this problem even more.
That's the issue shown by the OP.
i-xbPDJbG-XL.jpg
And that is precisely why I shoot my Canon R5 panos in the portrait orientation...I typically have sky/water with land in the overlapping frames.

This can sometimes also happen if its windy an the picture taken is not in sync as this looks like it was taken at 400 ft .
I can recognize by watching the pictures taken when there is a picture out of step , and restart the process.

I mention this because the Mini 3 has a weak gimbal in the wind , so if it was windy this could be the reason. or that the software was not able to match its points, but the Mini 3 has worked really well for me except in those high winds pics.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain < Land on the Water.
That funny that it looks that high. Maybe because it's a pano? I'm going to check and see how high I was on DJI Fly. I know it wasn't over 400 ft. I just checked the flights. I not sure at what point I took that shot, because the video was deleted. The flight record has the highest elevation at 278 ft.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I never hear anyone talk of this , but I watch the snaps on the RC PRO and I can tell right away when A picture has been taken , where its going to struggle with lining up the Pano.

I can sometimes just go back and retake that picture an stitch it up in Lightroom .

I find that when the picture is really important I take several different heights to navigate the strong winds after a wind warning but I am always flying under these conditions .

So I do make use out of the Wind Warnings . lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I never hear anyone talk of this , but I watch the snaps on the RC PRO and I can tell right away when A picture has been taken , where its going to struggle with lining up the Pano.

I can sometimes just go back and retake that picture an stitch it up in Lightroom .

I find that when the picture is really important I take several different heights to navigate the strong winds after a wind warning but I am always flying under these conditions .

So I do make use out of the Wind Warnings . lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
Wind is a big issue at my place. I live on top of a ridge. You hit a point with me when you said that wind could be my problem. Some of my neighbors have wind generators.

You hit a point with me when you said that wind could be my problem.
But wind is not a factor in the issue you posted.
The gimbal does a good job of counteracting drone movement and as explained in post #7, changes in camera orientation makes no difference to stitching.
The issue of a stepped horizon is encountered commonly in perfectly calm conditions too - see post #7 for an example.
The subject matter around the horizon (whether it has features the software can recognise and match) and the power of the software are what causes the issue.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
But wind is not a factor in the issue you posted.
The gimbal does a good job of counteracting drone movement and as explained in post #7, changes in camera orientation makes no difference to stitching.
The issue of a stepped horizon is encountered commonly in perfectly calm conditions too - see post #7 for an example.
The subject matter around the horizon (whether it has features the software can recognise and match) and the power of the software are what causes the issue.
Yes. You did prove a good point in your explanation and pictures.

Even with great stitching software like PTGui, you get little misalignments here and there. Every pro knows that a little Photoshop love can erase most of them pretty easily. For somehting that far out, it's unlikely any of your viewers will ever know you touched it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky