DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why did you buy your Mavic 2 Pro?

I thank everyone for sharing their experience and thoughts
I guess I am a "old school photographer " shooting with film, and composing the photo. I never had opportunity to do post processing to alter the photo.

Sometimes having your roots in old school and analog gives you the advantage of someone who was born and raised on digital. I have always admired photographers for being able to capture a moment in time.

I was a geography/biology major in school all love doing aerial photography. At first I did it with film cameras in a kite and a gas powered RC parasailer to do aerial landscape photography, but my wife is an archaeologist and I passed my 107 to do survey photography of sites for her paid projects as well. I also used ro fly RC gliders for fun, so its a hobby as well. Not quitting my day job though, and my 107 will be helping me use drones for my teaching career as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Sometimes having your roots in old school and analog gives you the advantage of someone who was born and raised on digital. I have always admired photographers for being able to capture a moment in time.

Nothing like those late nights smelling the fixer, hu? I still do it from time to time, and could finally afford to buy my dream cameras like my F4 and Graflex for about $100 each!! :)

I bought the M2P because as a serious amateur photographer the spec of the camera made way more sense than the Zoom. Better IQ and much more control over the camera means if stills are your thing the Pro is the way to go.

If I were into filming more than photography the choice would be harder. As has been pointed out the Pro’s camera still has IQ advantages even when creating footage but the versatility and extra dimension the Zoom brings to filming puts it back in contention.

One area in particular the Pro blows the Zoom away is low light / night photography. There’s not even a contest then :).

Your understanding of the “zoom” being for video and “pro” being for photo is wrong. The better sensor in the pro makes for better video as well.

In general, the zoom can be thought of as the retarded midget brother of the pro.
I disagree. The advantage of the zoom for video is the optical zoom.

Other than the camera, aren't the two drones the exact same size?
Your bizarre choice of words render you a non credible source.

Besides, no one is ever going to change out even their Panasonic GH5 for a M2P. No one Ever.
Maybe that helps put it in perspective for you.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm on the other side of this issue - I purchased the Zoom. A few things led to this decision. Honestly, PRICE was one issue. I had seen one drone on a vacation and it definitely looked interesting and it was a Mavic. But investigating - the darn things were not cheap and I had never flown one. Jump in for the more expensive Mavic 2 Pro or the more modestly priced Zoom and then have extra funds for more batteries, a case and extra props - yes, for the Zoom price I was able to jack up the expenditure and get the fly-more kit. Again for an untried new hobby.

Then there was the ZOOM function and that sounded intriguing. Being able to zoom in on ground objects without flying closer to the object or person provided another level of flexibility. For the lower price I got another feature and the fly-more kit for a hobby that might not prove ultimately successful. I did watch a number of comparisons. I decided to the Zoom was more than adequate for a newbie. Not at all unhappy with my decision.

There are definitely a number of members who really hate the Zoom and its limitations. So be it.

Okay, I'm on the other side of this issue - I purchased the Zoom. A few things led to this decision. Honestly, PRICE was one issue. I had seen one drone on a vacation and it definitely looked interesting and it was a Mavic. But investigating - the darn things were not cheap and I had never flown one. Jump in for the more expensive Mavic 2 Pro or the more modestly priced Zoom and then have extra funds for more batteries, a case and extra props - yes, for the Zoom price I was able to jack up the expenditure and get the fly-more kit. Again for an untried new hobby.

[emoji1303] That’s me too. Love it.

I might buy pro gimbal but probably wait and buy a Mavic 3 in 2020.

Maybe some harsh words: if he doesn't want to edit the photos, he limits himself. Correct exposure and a good composition is always important. But digital images are a bit different than film images and even film images were and are edited by professional or enthusiastic photographers. The difference between a well edited photo or a out of cam photo is by far bigger than the difference between the M2Z or M2P.

Form my point of view, he should use the Pro over the Zoom if...
...he want to shoot in low light conditions (as soon as it's necessary to push the ISO)
...he want to have a higher resolution out of the box or on moving objects or in windy conditions

If none of both applies, the Zoom is with it's Superresolution feature on par. The variable aperture is nice to have but not that important with the sensor sizes of the drone.

If he sticks to the no-editing, he should get the Pro. If he's willing to learn some basics and to stitch panoramas the Zoom may be the more attractive alternative because of it's lower price.

Greetings
Jürgen

I've been a photographer since 1975, even had a dark room in the house at one point. I agree, having shot film for many years before digital, influences the way I shoot a little.

I am in the minority when I say one of the leading factors was the age of my Mavic and the access to an all-in-one display control solution. I sold my Mavic, it had 2 1/2 years of flawless flights. Batteries were still pretty good. I sold it because it still had value but I was worried that I might start seeing some issues as I am getting close to 50 charges on the batteries. The other issue was I am tired of toting all the other stuff when I fly. Cables and mounts and have to make certain my phone is charged. Nah! When I want to fly I want a solution that is turn on bird, turn on transmitter FLY! I am also tired of doing the shade sun dance. I think I miss shots because I can't tell if they are properly focused or properly exposed because I can't see the flippen screen. I am pretty excited can't wait to fly with the new gear.

I've been a photographer since 1975, even had a dark room in the house at one point. I agree, having shot film for many years before digital, influences the way I shoot a little.
For my sixth birthday my dad got me a twin lens reflex camera. I used it for at least ten years. He gave me a bellows camera that went to the Montreal Expo (my age becoming apparently) and for college graduation a Nikon single lens reflex and he balked at that gift. He was a professional photographer.

For my sixth birthday my dad got me a twin lens reflex camera. I used it for at least ten years. He gave me a bellows camera that went to the Montreal Expo (my age becoming apparently) and for college graduation a Nikon single lens reflex and he balked at that gift. He was a professional photographer.
So, you are qualified to weigh in. What are your thoughts on this debate?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22