DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do I need extra propellers?

hassanchop

Reactions
This may sound silly but I bought the Mavic Pro and Fly and kit came with extra propellers so my questions will the propellors break if I don't crash into anything? How will I know something is wrong with any one of them and need to change them? I have the Pro 2.

Thanks

If you never crash, you probably never need to change your props. But you are given extras because they are the most vulnerable part of your drone most likely to get damaged in minor accidents like hitting tree branches, or being struck by debris when you takeoff or land. Some people also damage their props in storage if they get bent in their drone cases. This was apparently a common-ish problem for the original Mavic Mini.

Anyway you are supposed to inspect your props for damage before takeoff. You should change them if you see any chipping or cracks. Any weak points will gradually weaken over time due to the stress placed on them inflight.

The easiest way to know if you need one is to compare it with an unused one. You should make or print out a pre-check list before flying and on that list should be checking each prop before flight.

I have seen all sorts of recommendations about when to change props, anywhere from 10 to 50 hours of flight time. If you are not flying professionally then I would change them if you see any performance change such as lift slowing down or braking distance. Once you get to know your drone you will know what I’m talking about. Enjoy your drone and get to know it.
regards

if you think you're never gonna clip a prop or 2, dream on.
I agree! I’m very cautious with my stuff but no one is perfect and sooner or later you’re going to make a mistake. Just hope that it’s flying into weeds or something minor. I took great pride in my perfect flight record until one day I looked up and promptly flew into some weeds breaking one prop and nicking two others. No damage beyond that but I’m a great proponent of insurance. If you fly much, it’s not a matter of “if” but “when”.

Checking your propellers Should be part of your preflight checklist Even if you never crash You are Going to be hitting insects and leaves and anything else that could be floating in the air There is also a lot of stress put on the propellers were they click into the motor. Over timeThese weak points will fail Andrew drone is coming down wherever that happen If you don't regularly change your propellers and you hurt someone or damage their property you may be explaining to a jury why you shouldn't be held liable. I think DJI recommends changing them every 200 flights but maybe someone can verify that. There is a zero percent chance of not nicking them up at some point during normal flight. Although I don't, its probably wise to keep a written log of your drone maintenance just in case

I've been droning since 2012.. I've been lucky with my Mavic 2, but not so lucky with others. Below is a photo of my Phantom 4 after it developed a mind of its own one time and drifted a little too close to a tree.. Fortunately I didn't crash. But if I didn't have spare props in my kit, that would have ended the day.

Of course, in most cases clipping a tree or whatever usually ends in a crash.. In that case, spare props would be the least of one's worries :)

Attachments

• props.jpg
    props.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 20
I've been droning since 2012.. I've been lucky with my Mavic 2, but not so lucky with others. Below is a photo of my Phantom 4 after it developed a mind of its own one time and drifted a little too close to a tree.. Fortunately I didn't crash. But if I didn't have spare props in my kit, that would have ended the day.

Of course, in most cases clipping a tree or whatever usually ends in a crash.. In that case, spare props would be the least of one's worries :)
I have a MM but am curious, would the sensors avert a crash into a tree in full leaf? I know, impossible to definitely say but just an educated guess?

Neither MM have object avoidance.

OA isn't foolproof. From experience with M2, small branches and wires are usually not detected. Full foliage trees are usually detected, but still can miss seeing a branch.

Thanks, I realize that the mini’s don’t have sensors other than downward. I was just wondering what to expect if I’d move up to a MA2. I’m also aware that pilots should not count on the sensors. You answered my question though and I appreciate it. Have a good evening.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78