DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHY do people call it 'MISSIONS'???

I’ve been flying aircraft since 1973-civilian, military, UAS. There has always been a PREFLIGHT weather, maintenance, enroute airspace, and aircraft structural, functional and fuel check. The FLIGHT was part of the planned MISSION - a Mission sometimes as simple as getting my butt safely from California to Miami. That mission would require several well executed flights in a 1952 Bonanza let’s say.

• Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
Just a note: The FAA used to define NOTAMs as Notice to Airmen. With the latest computer code problem that shut down the NOTAM system it is now defined as Notice to Air Missions. I believe the change was caused by "degenderfying" the term but just putting it out there that we are subject to NOTAMS.

• Wow
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just putting this out there.
It annoys the heck out of me to have grown adults talking about flying 'missions' with their drone. You're not a bloody fighter jet pilot going into enemy territory at mach 2, launching missiles.
You're flying a flippin drone. A camera with propellors on top. Over your neighbours backyard or the local woods.
I know it's got loads of tech and that turns people on with their geek vibes, and that's fine, I fly drones myself for both profit and pleasure.
But pur-lease, if you aren't using it in some kind of military combat role, it's a 'flight' at a stretch, not a freaking mission.

Ah, I do feel better now.

Who agrees? Or even disagrees...
Below is a list of synonyms for the word mission, n. They are all listed in the data base Master Writer. If you have difficulties using the word mission you can select a synonym for that word. I'm a writer and that's how I substitute overused words.

1. business errand, assignment, commission; aim, goal, purpose, objective, object; charge, trust, duty, task; job, chore, work, stint; office, appointment.2. vocation, calling, profession, occupation, employment, position; métier, trade, line; pursuit, venture, undertaking, activity; concern, affair, interest.3. embassy, legation; delegation, deputation; (all collectively) ambassadors, diplomats, envoys, legates, agents, commissioners, deputies, delegates, emissaries.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just putting this out there.
It annoys the heck out of me to have grown adults talking about flying 'missions' with their drone. You're not a bloody fighter jet pilot going into enemy territory at mach 2, launching missiles.
You're flying a flippin drone. A camera with propellors on top. Over your neighbours backyard or the local woods.
I know it's got loads of tech and that turns people on with their geek vibes, and that's fine, I fly drones myself for both profit and pleasure.
But pur-lease, if you aren't using it in some kind of military combat role, it's a 'flight' at a stretch, not a freaking mission.

Ah, I do feel better now.

Who agrees? Or even disagrees...
Trust me … there are far greater issues in this world to be concerned about.

If you haven't noticed yet, NOTAMs-NOtices To AirMen have recently been re-monikered to NOtices To Air Missions. I'm pretty sure I don't like that, but have no problems flying 'missions' with DroneDeploy, Litchi, or other apps that call 'flights' 'missions'...

Thank you for your sympathy; it's a painful subject.

It's a 'flight'.

Granted, for Search and Rescue, 'mission' is an appropriate term. An assignment to locate the casualty.

It's the regular folk taking videos of the local marina and rabbiting on about hitting a tree whilst 'flying a mission' that smacks of make believe play and which I find trez cringeworthy.

Just my opinion and I'm open to the possibility that I'm the odd one out here.
Your not an odd ball.. I'm with you on this.. just be careful with sarcasm as we have admin's that don't like wormholes.. lol.and welcome to the Forum..

I’ve been flying aircraft since 1973-civilian, military, UAS. There has always been a PREFLIGHT weather, maintenance, enroute airspace, and aircraft structural, functional and fuel check. The FLIGHT was part of the planned MISSION - a Mission sometimes as simple as getting my butt safely from California to Miami. That mission would require several well executed flights in a 1952 Bonanza let’s say.
Thank you Doug! I think this is the best summation for what a mission truly is. Like you I never just head out and fly. I always check weather, NOTAMs, TFRs, and preflight check my equipment (physical, electrical, and charge batteries). Once on location the area is checked for ground obstacles and traffic, aerial traffic, and launch/recovery sites picked. So like you say, a flight is just part of the mission.

The UAS hobby/profession could probably tolerate more missions in my humble opinion. It could likely mitigate many of the issues that end up making the headlines.

Just remember that we can all agree to disagree and present our opinion on a subject without disrespecting others.

Last edited:
If my drone is an "aircraft", then my flights are "missions". The FAA (at least the new, woke version) agrees (below emphasis mine):

What does NOTAM stand for?

Updates. Changed the acronym NOTAM from Notice to Airmen to the more applicable term Notice to Air Missions, which is inclusive of all aviators and missions.

The only thing I can say for sure is that planning and then successfully executing (usually under pressure) a commercial "operation" or "mission" involves a whole lot more than just mindlessly throwing the drone up in the air for a "flight". At the same time I don't profess to getting a SpaceX rocket to space. :)

When I started my first flight a couple of years back I had an excellent tutor who covered the flight and safety basics. His advice was to always fly with a plan. So call it a flight plan or purpose if you like. With a plan, you are having a learning experience and for me each outing is a learning experience. Some flyers go on an outing just for fun and power to those folks. But I betcha those flyers have thought out where they intend to fly. But that is a plan, right? When I consider an outing I always have in mind the maneuvers that I would like to practice because learning maneuvers will help in producing better videos. But that is also a plan, right? To be honest, I try to follow some sort of plan, but sometimes I will veer off and do other things on the spur of the moment, depending on the location.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I am transformed, having been approved by the gov't. Prior to each sorte, I put on my "FAA Approved" vest, RayBan gold rim glasses, check the NOTAMS, log onto Aloft, preflight the equipment and play Danger Zone to get into the right frame of mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair