DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHY do people call it 'MISSIONS'???

I have met a few that are pretty wound up drone pilots that seem they are not having fun and use lots of military jargon and lingo (which I do not follow...) but the term mission just translates to task for me. It's a task. But I really do not think twice of what to call it. The important thing is we know what it means.

Sometimes it is just better to use the terms embraced by the industry, if communicating with others. If not, then call it whatever.

Anyway nice to see a new member who just joined come on here RANTING - maybe send an email to Autel as well because Waypoints is called Mission on their drones as well
My main mission in life would be to persuade everyone on the Planet to speak British English not any other version. Cheers Len

I spent my adult years and career flying my own personal owned aircraft and and as an airline pilot. We file and fly "flight plans" (not "missions") which include some or many waypoints based on the length/complexity of the flight. Personally I think the reference to "missions" is a bit pretentious. I would prefer if the Mavic 3 Waypoint files were called Flight Plans and not Missions.

Reactions: AnAvailableUsername
Drones are considered aircraft in the US by the FAA. I know this site is more on the hobby side, but every job I do under 107 is classified as a mission, as all flights are missions to the FAA. Since any commercial job is a mission, it is easier to use the terms the FAA uses, which give the rules to fly, call it a mission. It's common aircraft and pilot terminology, not military specifically.

My main mission in life would be to persuade everyone on the Planet to speak British English not any other version. Cheers Len
That is funny. My son-in-law has been telling me that for 15 years :)

Just putting this out there.
It annoys the heck out of me to have grown adults talking about flying 'missions' with their drone. You're not a bloody fighter jet pilot going into enemy territory at mach 2, launching missiles.
You're flying a flippin drone. A camera with propellors on top. Over your neighbours backyard or the local woods.
I know it's got loads of tech and that turns people on with their geek vibes, and that's fine, I fly drones myself for both profit and pleasure.
But pur-lease, if you aren't using it in some kind of military combat role, it's a 'flight' at a stretch, not a freaking mission.

Ah, I do feel better now.

Who agrees? Or even disagrees...
Ha! My mission is to possibly explain 'missions'. :)
Maybe it all started with some military pilot. Every time we flew it was a 'mission', even though it might be flying to a far away destination getting in some approaches, and for lunch!
Glad you feel better now!

Thank you for your sympathy; it's a painful subject.

It's a 'flight'.

Granted, for Search and Rescue, 'mission' is an appropriate term. An assignment to locate the casualty.

It's the regular folk taking videos of the local marina and rabbiting on about hitting a tree whilst 'flying a mission' that smacks of make believe play and which I find trez cringeworthy.

Just my opinion and I'm open to the possibility that I'm the odd one out here.
I find it particularly disturbing that someone’s use of a word within it’s correct definition, on a worldwide public forum, causes you pain to the point that you need sympathy. Maybe a Dr’s office would be a good start on a mission to improve your emotional fragility.

It annoys the heck out of me to have grown adults talking about flying 'missions' with their drone. You're not a bloody fighter jet pilot going into enemy territory at mach 2, launching missiles.
You're flying a flippin drone. A camera with propellors on top. Over your neighbours backyard or the local woods.
I know it's got loads of tech and that turns people on with their geek vibes, and that's fine, I fly drones myself for both profit and pleasure.
But pur-lease, if you aren't using it in some kind of military combat role, it's a 'flight' at a stretch, not a freaking mission.

While ONE of the implications is military, the word "mission" is certainly not LIMITED to JUST the military. For clarity, I turn to the experts at Merriam-Webster.

1674326953736.png

And if you don't think a UAV is an "aircraft," I would consult the FAA. They sure as heck think we are. Ergo, we are bound by many of the same regulations and afforded many of the same privileges. However, I'm open to suggestions. What would you call a UAV operation??

D

Reactions: slozukimc
I don't think it is worth the time to discuss. Mission, flight, buzz around, fly my drone, I am more concerned about my skill of operation of the task at hand rather than the name of what I am doing.

Attachments

• Aerials Stewart Meadows Village-005.jpg
    Aerials Stewart Meadows Village-005.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: MS Coast

I'm pretty sure the term was introduced by the manufacturer. It annoys the crap out of me too.

Probably because Litchi label them as missions. In some of thier flight jargon..

Typical pointless interwebz drama.
3 pages of tossing the noun back and forth over it's worthiness.
Sheesh - y'all should be flying, not picking nits.

Since I use my drone in an agricultural setting I can't just say "I'm on a flight plan to do 'so and so.." I am really on a mission to check on a cow or calf or water trough. That's not just a flight. My "mission" is to perform the end task. The mission is to check the water somewhere of check on a cow or calf. So mission is a very appropriate word for that. It's my goal in flying to a specific point or for a specific purpose, to accomplish that "mission."

Reactions: slozukimc
Thank you for your sympathy; it's a painful subject.

It's a 'flight'.

Granted, for Search and Rescue, 'mission' is an appropriate term. An assignment to locate the casualty.

It's the regular folk taking videos of the local marina and rabbiting on about hitting a tree whilst 'flying a mission' that smacks of make believe play and which I find trez cringeworthy.

Just my opinion and I'm open to the possibility that I'm the odd one out here.
I think you need to undertake a mission to find something else to whinge about.
If this is all that you have to worry about, what others want to call their operations, then you are prob doing well

I agree. I've often looked at the word and thought, "Mission? I've been on missions in the military but a mission this is not." It's a flight.

Mission is far too serious for a hobby. Some definitions: (1) an operation carried out by military aircraft. "He was shot down on a supply mission" (2) an important assignment carried out for political, religious, or commercial purposes, typically involving travel.
"A trade mission to Mexico." (3) A group of people sent on a mission. "By then, the mission had journeyed more than 3,500 miles." (4) An organization or institution involved in a long-term assignment in a foreign country. "The head of the West German mission."

In short, the word is obviously used inappropriately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I've often looked at the word and thought, "Mission? I've been on missions in the military but a mission this is not." It's a flight.

Mission is far too serious for a hobby. Some definitions: (1) an operation carried out by military aircraft. "He was shot down on a supply mission" (2) an important assignment carried out for political, religious, or commercial purposes, typically involving travel.
"A trade mission to Mexico." (3) A group of people sent on a mission. "By then, the mission had journeyed more than 3,500 miles." (4) An organization or institution involved in a long-term assignment in a foreign country. "The head of the West German mission." (5) The vocation or calling of a religious organization, especially a Christian one, to go out into the world and spread its faith. "The Christian mission."

In short, the word is obviously used inappropriately.
Words are always in flux. Look at the new "uh" which is "like." Or the new word for "said" which is also "like," "changes to "went" in the past-tense. Then there is "top of mind" that has suddenly come into vogue. And there is the new weather term, "atmospheric river." I remember teachers telling me decades ago "YOUR mission is to study and pass these tests" or "Your mission is to win this game." I think it is fun and a good learning experience to constantly banter about our very flexible language. But, like many of you, I also like to be a purist and prefer we stick to proper language, like proper grammar and vocabulary instead of ignorant bad word bombs to fill in for more definitive words. Anger is anger, though, and sometimes it's just hard to find the words to sufficiently express it. Happy droning!!! I hope all your missions or flights or dronie trips are just heckie dern fun!!!! Great to have the forum here for all the "ends and outs" of the hobby and/or job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore