DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do you need internet connectivity?

As others have stated, internet connection not required to fly.

For me, WiFi always off when flying. (I use a ChystalSky, so no phone connection to worry about) I don't want updated software (if it ain't broke....) Don't want DJI to update their maps on my device. I cache the maps that the App will use for my chosen flight location, at home, prior to departure.

That's the way I like it.

Reactions: MA2 317
Picking up on an old thread (I found it while searching for "Internet connection".

Does this mean that ALL the no-fly zones of the WHOLE world are available off-line?
I'm asking because I plan to take my Mini 2 to the other side of the globe (Indonesia) on a dive-cruise. Once the ship leaves the harbor, there will be no internet connection anymore.

Will the Fly App know about the no-fly zones in this part of the world where it has never been before or will I need to make an internet connection to update the local NFZ's before the ship leaves?

Will the Fly App know about the no-fly zones in this part of the world where it has never been before or will I need to make an internet connection to update the local NFZ's before the ship leaves?
There probably won't be anything like the number of airports you are used to in Europe.
Go to DJI's no-fly zone mapping, Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI
Select Asia / Indonesia and zoom into the area you are visiting.
Leave it a minute to find what's there and you'll be able to see what zones DJI have and where there are none.

The latest DJI no-fly info is loaded when you still have Internet, so before you join the boat start drone/controller without flying to get an update of the no-fly zones - if available. Internet is not needed to fly.
Quite some countries have their own drone flight app, but I don't know an Indonesian one.
Think twice before using your Mini 2 on a boat! The winds can be so severe that you may lose your drone! I would suggest a stronger drone - I use my Mavic 2 Zoom.

Reactions: Barbara
I will be using the internet to unlock some zones on the go with the mini 3 in Australia I cant fly with my M2P.

There probably won't be anything like the number of airports you are used to in Europe.
Go to DJI's no-fly zone mapping, Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI
Select Asia / Indonesia and zoom into the area you are visiting.
Leave it a minute to find what's there and you'll be able to see what zones DJI have and where there are none.
I have checked our itinerary and (as you might expect) there is only a small no-fly zone near where we embark on the ship. The rest of the trip is free air space.
My question though, was if the Fly App allows taking off in a part of the world for which it has no info of no-fly zones, or if it DOES have that info of the whole world.

Last edited:
The latest DJI no-fly info is loaded when you still have Internet, so before you join the boat start drone/controller without flying to get an update of the no-fly zones - if available. Internet is not needed to fly.
Quite some countries have their own drone flight app, but I don't know an Indonesian one.
Think twice before using your Mini 2 on a boat! The winds can be so severe that you may lose your drone! I would suggest a stronger drone - I use my Mavic 2 Zoom.
tvdwouw: don't worry. I only intend to fly when the ship is at anchor and there is only moderate wind. Landing a drone on a moving ship sounds like quite a challenge (translation: risk).
Anyway, bedankt voor de waarschuwing :cool:

Reactions: Barbara
That is actually an interesting question. Another way to put it..
If i rock up to the U.S. with my drone from Australia, and never connect to internet, will i run up against your no fly zones?
I believe the no fly zones database is uploaded with firmware so that they are all in the system and drone gps would identify them. But i could be wrong

That is actually an interesting question. Another way to put it..
If i rock up to the U.S. with my drone from Australia, and never connect to internet, will i run up against your no fly zones?
I believe the no fly zones database is uploaded with firmware so that they are all in the system and drone gps would identify them. But i could be wrong
The DJI Fly Safe database is separate from the controller and aircraft firmware. Look on the About tab of the Fly app for an update link.

Just my 2 cents worth, I would not count on the DJI database to accurately present all "No Fly Zones". When I compare the DJI map to the maps published by our authorities, there are many inconsistencies. I find I can physically fly my drone in some areas that are definitely considered "No Fly Zones" by Canadian authorities.

I would recommend checking local sources for such information before flying in a different country.

Just my 2 cents worth, I would not count on the DJI database to accurately present all "No Fly Zones". When I compare the DJI map to the maps published by our authorities, there are many inconsistencies. I find I can physically fly my drone in some areas that are definitely considered "No Fly Zones" by Canadian authorities.

I would recommend checking local sources for such information before flying in a different country.
Yes. That's the case in the U.S., too. DJI's Fly Safe database does not always agree with the FAA's airspace regulations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman