DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does Active Track with Smartphone+RC work much better than with Smartphone only?

Reactions
Hi,

I had some issues with active track using Smartphone only mode with Wifi. Even to get a lock on me was nearly impossible even with perfect conditions: good contrast, close enough, sunny day.

Then (on the same day, only a few minutes later) I put the same smartphone in the RC and switched the mavic to RC mode, tested active track (NOT Follow me!) again and surprise: it worked perfectly. Why is that?

Thanks Chris

I can only theorize that WiFi is inherently weak, especially compared to the RC, and the transmission of video eats up a lot of bandwidth that WiFi might struggle with. Since you have the RC, there is no need or advantage to using WiFi.

I can only theorize that WiFi is inherently weak, especially compared to the RC, and the transmission of video eats up a lot of bandwidth that WiFi might struggle with. Since you have the RC, there is no need or advantage to using WiFi.

Carrying the RC during active track on a mountain bike is quite a hassle, so the smartphone only mode would be a big advantage. What you theorized would mean that the tracking is done by the DJI App on the phone, but I think I've read that it is actually done on the drone itself. So still wonder where is the problem with wifi only.

Even to get a lock on me was nearly impossible even with perfect conditions: good contrast, close enough, sunny day.
You use your phone to get a lock on you. That uses the video feed to your phone. If that is weak you may have problems setting it up. After that Active Track may be controlled by the Mavic, I don't know (perhaps someone else can chime in).

You use your phone to get a lock on you. That uses the video feed to your phone. If that is weak you may have problems setting it up. After that Active Track may be controlled by the Mavic, I don't know (perhaps someone else can chime in).

Ah ok, yeah that's at least an idea!

What you theorized would mean that the tracking is done by the DJI App on the phone, but I think I've read that it is actually done on the drone itself. So still wonder where is the problem with wifi only.
All the visual tracking features are processed on the smart device, not the aircraft.

All the visual tracking features are processed on the smart device, not the aircraft.
Confirmed. I put my MP in active track and confirmed it was tracking me. Then I unplugged the tablet and the MP stopped tracking.

Carrying the RC during active track on a mountain bike is quite a hassle, so the smartphone only mode would be a big advantage. What you theorized would mean that the tracking is done by the DJI App on the phone, but I think I've read that it is actually done on the drone itself. So still wonder where is the problem with wifi only.
Even if you could carry the RC/controller with you, Active Track is probably going to be pretty weak for mountain biking if you are the least bit aggressive on the bike. I have also found DJI follow mode really “slow” as well, along with no altitude compensation.

Autopilot/Airspace would work with two cellular connected IOS devices, but you would still have to leave the RC controller/IOS device behind if you were doing this solo. That’s the whole advantage of these autonomous follow-me drones like Staaker and Airdog II.

FWIW I’m getting the smallest Nanuk case (904) that I can stuff a controller and IPhone into, and see how aggressive I can get with Autopilot Follow Me. It seems to have much better potential than DJI Active Track or DJI Follow Me. We’ll see....

My MPP and Note 8 is "identical". Will not work in WiFi with the exact same symptoms as the video.
Would like DJI fix.
Is there a minimum height for the mode? I've been from 10-30 feet and no change. It will not stay locked on to me for more than maybe 3 feet if I'm lucky.

Reactions: longliveenduro
My MPP and Note 8 is "identical". Will not work in WiFi with the exact same symptoms as the video.
Would like DJI fix.
Is there a minimum height for the mode? I've been from 10-30 feet and no change. It will not stay locked on to me for more than maybe 3 feet if I'm lucky.

No as far as I know and experienced so far, there is not a min height. But it seems that it should work, because DJI engineers pick this up: Active Track works better with RC+Smartphone comp. Smartphone only

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topcomons