DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does it ascend to RTH altitude when next to homepoint?

PandaCheese

Reactions
I was trying to run down the battery in my Platinum before boarding a plane by hovering indoors under a decently high ceiling...you know where this is going...yep it crashed into the ceiling while ascending to RTH altitude, triggered by low battery. The crash was kind of a blur...I can only tell that It hit the ceiling while ascending and lost a prop immediately. Not sure if it fell straight or managed to regain a little lift during that. Gimbal got bumped out of the retaining plate but was easily shoved back in and everything appeared to be normal afterward.

This is not the point though. My question is why did it try to ascend? The RTH Safety Notices section in the manual states:
Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft
is within a 16 ft (5 m) radius of the Home Point.

I was hovering like not even 1 meter from the take off point, and despite being in doors GPS was on.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I almost crashed my drone because of this feature as well despite knowing how it worked. It caught me off guard and nearly hit a palm tree leaf, which means it would have landed in the sand and probably destroyed. 100% recommend turning smart RTH off unless you are doing a very specific flight. It's a horrible feature to have on by default. Sorry for your crash... It sounds like you understand how it works, but for some reason it still ascended. Must be an issue of losing gps signal indoors for a moment or something when you didn't notice?

I was trying to run down the battery in my Platinum before boarding a plane by hovering indoors under a decently high ceiling...you know where this is going...yep it crashed into the ceiling while ascending to RTH altitude, triggered by low battery. The crash was kind of a blur...I can only tell that It hit the ceiling while ascending and lost a prop immediately. Not sure if it fell straight or managed to regain a little lift during that. Gimbal got bumped out of the retaining plate but was easily shoved back in and everything appeared to be normal afterward.

This is not the point though. My question is why did it try to ascend? The RTH Safety Notices section in the manual states:

I was hovering like not even 1 meter from the take off point, and despite being in doors GPS was on.

I imagine you didn't set a new home point when you took off in the house. The Mavic was going back to the previous home point.

Were you not actively using the device? It could have been cancelled. GPS accuracy could have been poor enough to think its 16-66 feet away, or your home point was somewhere else.

Attachments

• 905A362F-4EC1-41BD-A6A1-F2E4391F6D92.jpeg
    905A362F-4EC1-41BD-A6A1-F2E4391F6D92.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 14
  • B5A11E2E-4CD3-4038-A665-E2A1A02D8D10.jpeg
    B5A11E2E-4CD3-4038-A665-E2A1A02D8D10.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 12
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads