DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does obstacle avoidance stop the drone for no reason?

MichaelDiggs

Reactions
I'm up around 400 feet. Nothing is up there. I'm flying over a lake, flat calm day. Going full speed. Then BAM, obstacle avoidance stops the flight and tells me there is something in font of me. What? I'm flying over a lake at 400 feet, there is not 1 thing over me. Looks like I may have forced to use sport mode or just turn avoidance off on this thing. Needless to say it is coming coming back from a repair regarding distance issues. The main controller board was replaced, and I can't wait to test it out.

Were you flying toward the sun? A low sun will cause OA to give a false positive. Reflection off water doubles your chances of it happening. Best to turn OA off if flying over water. Nothing to run into up there anyway.

Reactions: Mavic 57
yup, its WAYY better than the Mavic 1 though, with my Mavic 1, even pointing the drone in the general range of the sun will cause craziness with the OA, my M2 is better, but still affected.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Computer vision is far from being a fully mastered art, there will be false detections regularly. It's tuned to be more likely to do false positives rather than missing real obstacles.
Turning it off in situations where it's useless anyway is the right thing to do.

Turn off the OA over water! If you are ever flying thru fog in a sunny, backlit scene...get ready to call DJI Repair. This deadly combo overloads the sensor(s), at least, in my situation. It was a beautiful scene, but a horrendous noise when it struck a tree! ** DJI did replace the MP2 Pro with a new one in a few days after they received the wrecked MP2
IMG_7859.jpg

Turn off the OA over water! If you are ever flying thru fog in a sunny, backlit scene...get ready to call DJI Repair. This deadly combo overloads the sensor(s), at least, in my situation. It was a beautiful scene, but a horrendous noise when it struck a tree! ** DJI did replace the MP2 Pro with a new one in a few days after they received the wrecked MP2
View attachment 52863

Nice image though.

I'm up around 400 feet. Nothing is up there. I'm flying over a lake, flat calm day. Going full speed. Then BAM, obstacle avoidance stops the flight and tells me there is something in font of me. What? I'm flying over a lake at 400 feet, there is not 1 thing over me. Looks like I may have forced to use sport mode or just turn avoidance off on this thing. Needless to say it is coming coming back from a repair regarding distance issues. The main controller board was replaced, and I can't wait to test it out.
Sun always does it to me.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Have you ever had water signal an overhead obstacle? I had this happen which ended in unresponsive slow descent into the water.

No, but I've always had OA disabled when flying in fog.

Guess you mean that since there's no way the upwards sensors can know there is water below. They can likely see any kind of sun ray, reflection or whatever as false obstacle like the others though.

I was doing a wedding at 20 m when OA flashed on... two crows were circling close as.... I moved away and they flew off.

Sun always does it to me.

Wip: I second that emotion, it seems to happen to me all the time, high in the air not a thing around for miles and the drone doesn’t even have to be pointed near the sun. Maybe that can be tweaked out but it sure gets your attention. (And of course it puts the kibosh on your recording.)

KB

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore