DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does the FAA Part 107 test require learning apparently unnecessary knowledge?

Must be really hard to take off or land!
You're not flying your drone in the areas where takeoffs and landings are happening.

Last edited:
pentatony wrote: Electric motors won't stall no matter what angle or how much you make them lift. They will keep spinning no matter what you do to them.
Have you actually read any of the other posts in this thread?

We are not talking about motors or engines stalling, that's a totally different issue. If we were talking about motors stalling, we could say liquid fuelled engines will stop operating when they run out of fuel, exactly the same way that electric motors will stop when the battery runs dry.

However, what we're actually talking about here is aerodynamic stall, which happens when the smooth airflow separates from an airfoil and becomes turbulent. A propeller blade is an airfoil and is susceptible to stalling in the same way as any aircraft wing or any helicopter rotor blade.

pentatony wrote: [...] the computers won't allow a pitch change to that extreme. Even if it did, the motors would still spin and cause a controlled landing.
Did you go back and read post #38 as I suggested? And did you do a Google search on "Vortex Ring State" or "DJI Avata Yaw Washout"?

Don't take the test. Play dumb.
Stop playing dumb and do some simple reading.

Reactions: Torque
Do I understand correctly that you wrote the exam used to test new drone pilots in Canada? Not sure what the s in front of RPAS means so maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
I wrote the exam, I didn't set it.

Up here the person who creates the exam sets it, and the person who is being evaluated writes it. Is it different where you are?

sRPAS = small Remotely Piloted Aircraft System. According to Transport Canada usage, anyway.

I wrote the exam, I didn't set it.

Up here the person who creates the exam sets it, and the person who is being evaluated writes it. Is it different where you are?

sRPAS = small Remotely Piloted Aircraft System. According to Transport Canada usage, anyway.
In my area, we don't 'write' test, we 'take' them. And the other guy 'gives' them but they always seem to have a price.

Have you actually read any of the other posts in this thread?

We are not talking about motors or engines stalling, that's a totally different issue. If we were talking about motors stalling, we could say liquid fuelled engines will stop operating when they run out of fuel, exactly the same way that electric motors will stop when the battery runs dry.

However, what we're actually talking about here is aerodynamic stall, which happens when the smooth airflow separates from an airfoil and becomes turbulent. A propeller blade is an airfoil and is susceptible to stalling in the same way as any aircraft wing or any helicopter rotor blade.

Did you go back and read post #38 as I suggested? And did you do a Google search on "Vortex Ring State" or "DJI Avata Yaw Washout"?

Stop playing dumb and do some simple reading.
I wasn't playing dumb. I was playing lazy which equated to dumb. Thanks for the clarification regarding the aerodynamic stall. I didn't read enough of the post.

Reactions: mavictk and Zbip57
DON'T YOU ALL GET IT? STALLING ONLY OCCURES IN LIQUID FUELED AIRCRAFT. Last time I checked drones are all electric. THEY DON'T STALL. The pilots of uav's have to purposely make them stall with special emergency off stick maneuvers. Why do we have special emergency shut doen procedures, because they won't turn off unless we force them too. Otherwise they don't. At least not in the way fixed air or helicopters do.
Power company in Florida flys a gas power UAV with a wing span of 40 feet.

Reactions: Dangerly
Mind blown. In all the Youtube videos and training courses I've seen, no one has mentioned getting a Part 107 in order to fly fixed wing UAS. Good to know, and now I'm wondering: How many pilots here fly fixed wing UAS?
I don't personally fly a fixed-wing drone but I work with several people who do at NOAA. And I see a lot of fixed wing drones at the UAV conferences, some with VTOL.

Reactions: Torque and Dangerly
I started looking at the Part 107 practice tests, and I was struck by how much "useless" knowledge seems to be required. A good example would be learning that the wrong angle of attack causes a stall for a fixed wing aircraft. Can someone explain to me how this specific knowledge about angle of attack would ever help a drone pilot?
I certainly don't mean to come across as the know it all here but I do have a long time perspective with the FAA, pilot certification, airline ops/pilot training, teaching many GA pilots to learn to fly and now flying drones for almost 10 years. I've been an FAA certificated pilot since 1987 (started flying at 17 yrs old), A CFII/MEI since 1990 (still current), an ATP cert pilot since 1998 (former airline pilot) and owned 2 personal aircraft for over 20 years. I have taken more FAA knowledge tests (very similar to the 107 test) and airplane check rides than I can count over the years.

The FAA knowledge tests have always (and like it or not, definitely always will) included knowledge areas that don't seem particularly useful at the time. However, ALL the knowledge the FAA requires you to learn actually does make you a more well rounded and knowledgeable pilot (manned or unmanned aircraft). I agree that some of the knowledge areas like METARs, TAFs, the NAS structure, aerodynamics, etc., might SEEM useless for the guy out flying his Mini 3 Pro for a real estate photo shoot. But it might help you to keep in mind that as a drone operator YOU most definitely are operating in the NAS along with other aircraft, big and small.

The 107 test is actually a very, very easy (by far the easiest) FAA pilot cert test compared to all other FAA pilot cert tests. Just be glad you didn't have to take a practical test (check ride) for your 107, it's only a knowledge test.

I certainly don't mean to come across as the know it all here but I do have a long time perspective with the FAA, pilot certification, airline ops/pilot training, teaching many GA pilots to learn to fly and now flying drones for almost 10 years. I've been an FAA certificated pilot since 1987 (started flying at 17 yrs old), A CFII/MEI since 1990 (still current), an ATP cert pilot since 1998 (former airline pilot) and owned 2 personal aircraft for over 20 years. I have taken more FAA knowledge tests (very similar to the 107 test) and airplane check rides than I can count over the years.

The FAA knowledge tests have always (and like it or not, definitely always will) included knowledge areas that don't seem particularly useful at the time. However, ALL the knowledge the FAA requires you to learn actually does make you a more well rounded and knowledgeable pilot (manned or unmanned aircraft). I agree that some of the knowledge areas like METARs, TAFs, the NAS structure, aerodynamics, etc., might SEEM useless for the guy out flying his Mini 3 Pro for a real estate photo shoot. But it might help you to keep in mind that as a drone operator YOU most definitely are operating in the NAS along with other aircraft, big and small.

The 107 test is actually a very, very easy (by far the easiest) FAA pilot cert test compared to all other FAA pilot cert tests. Just be glad you didn't have to take a practical test (check ride) for your 107, it's only a knowledge test.
Love your take on this. You got me thinking now: how cool would it be if you had to take a drone flying test where you fly your drone under test circumstances? I know, more of a dream than practical, but I can dream!

I started looking at the Part 107 practice tests, and I was struck by how much "useless" knowledge seems to be required. A good example would be learning that the wrong angle of attack causes a stall for a fixed wing aircraft. Can someone explain to me how this specific knowledge about angle of attack would ever help a drone pilot?

Flying is a broad and deep subject and the FAA have had to balance the complexity of the subject material with the practicalities of persuading people to study the material. I see all the material as relevant, but I have the benefit of an entire career in aviation behind me. Rest assured you’re not wasting time or effort in learning the Part 107 syllabus, it’s all relevant!

You need to understand angle of attack and stall because drones use aerofoils for lift. Without the understanding of stall, it would not be obvious what would happen if and when you decide to add payloads to a drone and the associated requirements for increased lift. Happy to go deeper if you want more information.

Reactions: DoomMeister
You have never been a pilot so you would not understand. All due respect..I am a professional pilot and believe me knowing this is important. What happens if your drone stalls? It can happen. It is mechanical. Furthermore what happens if you accidentally hit the wrong controls that make your drone shut off mid air? There's countless reason to learn about this stuff.

You're getting a water downed version of what "real pilots" learn. A drone pilot needs to learn this information because it can apply and will one day if you fly enough. They are covering their basis.

I would not complain too much as it's a privilege to fly and operate a drone.

Part 107 is outdated and unnecessary and irreleveant to todays drone pilots. A new totally revamped test specific to drone/uas pilots needs to be made. But it's a governmnt worker that would to make it. No money. Lazy
WRONG. You should not be allowed to operate a UAV with that piss poor attitude.

Reactions: Moozer
I notify all my flights on that app and it's the absolute surest way to get the LVMPD Air Support Helicopter to show up. I'm convinced they see the notification and head straight there to test their newly-installed Remote ID interrogators.
I find that kind of humorous but you are probably right. Fly a manned aircraft into their territory and it's a game for them to come out and check you out. I was flying around the AZ/MX border once and a couple of A-10s came out looking around. I enjoyed the show and was sorry to see them leave the area.

Part 107 is outdated and unnecessary and irreleveant to todays drone pilots. A new totally revamped test specific to drone/uas pilots needs to be made. But it's a governmnt worker that would to make it. No money. Lazy
Please stay in Florida.

Please stay in Florida.

Ah easy there fella. ;) Most folks that end up in 'Florida Man' stories are from somewhere else and come here to get their 15 minutes. We laugh at them too.

I wish we could build a wall over I 75 and I 95 to keep out those 'fleeing' their own mess but as yet, tis' only a dream. 😏🤣 Down here the leaves don't change but the license plates do.

you are exactly right. It was written by legislators with some input of droners. It does need revamping by competent people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4