DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does the FAA use the phrase "in line of sight" when it would have been clearer to say "in sight" if that's really what they mean?

mattess

Reactions
Is the guidance from the FAA literally keep your drone in sight at all times? Could the wording really mean keep sight of the area where your drone is instead of sending it somewhere where you can't even see the space around it. You can fly far enough away to still be able to see and react to low flying aircraft or other hazard without being able to actually see your drone.

Is the guidance from the FAA literally keep your drone in sight at all times? Could the wording really mean keep sight of the area where your drone is instead of sending it somewhere where you can't even see the space around it. You can fly far enough away to still be able to see and react to low flying aircraft or other hazard without being able to actually see your drone.

It’s actually keep your drone in “VISUAL line of sight.” Line of sight(LOS) means that there are no obstructions between yourself and the craft.

So if I my drone is 3000 feet ahead of my boat on the ocean then technically it IS in line of sight. But the FAA wants to make it clear that’s not gonna fly with them. It has to be in line of sight AND you have to visually be able to see it with natural unaided sight with the exception of glasses and contact lenses.

In plain speak they are trying to say no using a video camera to “visually” watch the drone and it can’t be too far that you are no longer able to see it.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

§ 107.33 Visual observer.
If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:
(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.
(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.
(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:
(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and
(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

§ 107.33 Visual observer.
If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:
(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.
(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.
(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:
(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and
(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.
Although I always maintain visual contact, determination of the A/C's "attitude, altitude, and direction of flight" from visual observation of a tiny dot in the sky is a pipe dream, unless it's moving (duh!), and then I still confirm with the camera view.

I concur with the objection to the line-of-sight wording. The online definition that I just now retrieved is "1 : a line from an observer's eye to a distant point. 2 : the line between two points." Adding "visual" doesn't help; what other kind of sight is there? Without searching for the FAA's detailed explanation of what it means, it is reasonable to assume that you can fly a drone of sight as long as nothing obstructs your vision between you and where you know (from the app) your drone to be.

I concur with the objection to the line-of-sight wording. The online definition that I just now retrieved is "1 : a line from an observer's eye to a distant point. 2 : the line between two points." Adding "visual" doesn't help; what other kind of sight is there? Without searching for the FAA's detailed explanation of what it means, it is reasonable to assume that you can fly a drone of sight as long as nothing obstructs your vision between you and where you know (from the app) your drone to be.

I feel like you didn’t read any of the previous posts?

Reactions: mnis
I feel like you didn’t read any of the previous posts?
My comment was about the simple phrase “visual line of sight.” Without reading all the FAA explanation, the phrase alone is confusing. If a pilot were to look only at the brief instructions that are widely available on the web, the phrase could be misleading.

The short version of what I said is that the phrase is bad English.

Reactions: mnis and tleedom
My comment was about the simple phrase “visual line of sight.” Without reading all the FAA explanation, the phrase alone is confusing. If a pilot were to look only at the brief instructions that are widely available on the web, the phrase could be misleading.

The short version of what I said is that the phrase is bad English.

Got ya that makes sense

I send my Mavic Air up to two or three hundred feet and watch as it goes over my neighborhood away and out over a lake by my house. I have no problem seeing the little black dot in the sky
which is easily in sight, until I look down that is and check for altitude or speed or some other display, and when I look back nothing. The cloud pattern is moving the drone is almost impossible to pick back up again. This can only be 1,000 or 1500 feet away which is usually easy to see. You have to then turn the direction arrow on screen toward home and trust your instruments and just bring it back until you again have sight of it. This happens to me a lot. You may be able to see it farther, so visual line of sight changes quite quickly. You can also
be closer and lose it in front of a tree line when you fly low. I can not pick it out in that situation and again must trust the display. It certainly is not visual, but most certainly in LOS.
Fly accordingly.

Reactions: Bobby Brown
How about this... “line of sight” means no obstruction. “Visual” means it’s close enough you can see it. Hey... I tried?!

Visual... because using an add, such as monitor, is not allowed. So the need for "visual" is 100%. We can then look at "line of sight". Line of site meaning your view _directly_. Again, you cannot use a device such as a magnifying glass, camera lens or anything else that deflect the light into your eye.

The words used are 100% correct and 100% needed. Other ways mention in this thread are not 100% correct as it is now.

Perhaps a rewording is in order as many imply. The current wording I believe is meant to say that pilot always has LOS

As I mentioned above, visual is needed to indicate that _you_ see the drone. If I'm looking at the drone through binoculars or using a monitor I can see the drone but not with my own eyes (I'm seeing the _image_ of the drone visually, not the drone.

If anyone wants to say that this is uber technical, I agree. But that also means it better defines what is needed so there is less confusion.

I'm also guessing that VLOS has some history behind it so this is why it is used.

Reactions: Thomas B
The actual definition of VLOS = you want it that bad it’s gonna cost you Amazon .... Walmart , we will stop the people and give you the space to do your deliveries. Lol

Reactions: Bobby Brown
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian