DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why does the new FPV drone from DJI have the quick release props and the Mini 2 does not

Whiteeskimo

Reactions
Good evening All
I was wondering why the new DJI FPV drone has the quick release props and the Mini 2 does not?
I thought that DJI lost a court case involving the patent on the quick release props and had to stop using them on any new production of there new drones.
Any one have any news regarding this
Thanks very much and everyone stay safe.

I'm not sure where to begin. Yes, DJI did lose a case in court, but if you check the way that Mavic Air 2 props are attached, they are different than earlier models like the Mavic 2. The seem to have found a way around that patent infringement.

As far as addressing why the Mini 2 doesn't have quick release props, the answer(s) are simple: Cost and weight. It costs pennies to produce a plastic propeller is either produced by injection or mold, that requires no assembly. Assembly that joins the props adds both cost and weight, possibly weight being the over-riding factor.

Reactions: rehkram
Well thank you very much
That makes complete sense
I thought that there must be a good reason, and as you have indicated there is possibly more than one reason

I thought that DJI lost a court case involving the patent on the quick release props and had to stop using them on any new production of there new drones.
Autel thought they had won against DJI, but DJI had the last laugh.

The difference in propeller style is all about weight, which is critical if you are trying to keep the total below 250 grams.

Reactions: vjpapa
The M2 has 11-12 grams available. Could be weight, but I would think costs or keeping certain features out of their budget class drones( not competing with their self), would be larger factors.

Personally I think it's all to do with weight.

I cant see that DJI is particularly worried about keeping the cost below a certain point whereas the 249gm threshold is critical if they want to appeal to a much wider audience.

My Mini 2 is my first drone, and I would not have bought it if had the restrictions of heavier drones on where I can fly it.

The weight of the M2 is only 238-239 grams, should be room between there and 249gm for quick mount props.

Maybe it is just the nature of the M2, small, portable and quick to deploy. In some cases, such as a hike or out on a boat, having to fiddle with four additional loose parts could be a hindrance if not risky. Having the M2 fully assembled has its advantages.
In the interest of full disclosure, I do not hike.

Any one have any news regarding this
Thanks very much and everyone stay safe.
Indeed DJI did not lose any court case. They were brought up on claims of patient infringement. They blew such a frivolous suit out of the water and set precedents. But in all during that time was when the Mini's and MA2 were in design and testing. So that would pretty much explain why they don't have QR props or of the same design traditionally. It all had to come out in courts first, then back to business as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Indeed DJI did not lose any court case. They were brought up on claims of patient infringement. They blew such a frivolous suit out of the water and set prescience. But in all during that time was when the Mini's and MA2 were in design and testing. So that would pretty much explain why they don't have QR props or of the same design traditionally. It all had to come out in courts first, then back to business as usual.
I presume you meant "and set precedents" instead of "and set prescience"? ?
DJI certainly blew Autel's claim out of the water, but wisely altered the propeller installation design on the MA2 in the interim, just in case Autel's requested injunction against selling any drones with that design succeeded, pending the hearing on the merits of Autel's claim. Because of this, the MA2 props can still easily be installed incorrectly, if one doesn't pay close attention to the silver/black color coding.

I presume you meant "and set precedents" instead of "and set prescience"? ?
DJI certainly blew Autel's claim out of the water, but wisely altered the propeller installation design on the MA2 in the interim, just in case Autel's requested injunction against selling any drones with that design succeeded, pending the hearing on the merits of Autel's claim. Because of this, the MA2 props can still easily be installed incorrectly, if one doesn't pay close attention to the silver/black color coding.
Yeah...was 4 a.m. when I awoke this morning. I looked at it 2 times and just plucked from spelling correction (Since corrected). I am a really surprised by the number of people reporting the MA2, thought for sure there would have been hundreds of posts on it and the mini's with incorrect prop install. It seems that the majority however did however RTFM. :p

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasperskyy